Madonna performance for Ukraine benefit

wonderboy

23 minutes ago, gafuller said:

Literally was first thing I saw on her Instagram this morning. Nice cover and you can hear her mature higher range very well. 

I mean isn't there supposed to be a concert? All I saw was politicians talking for days on end… ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

Well, it's clear some people here are  bitter individuals who cannot appreciate anything since they have been criticizing her every move (and i won't mention any names but 1987 was not the best Madonna era by far) and, of course, the usual trolls because that's what it's like to have no life i guess. 

The event raised more than 10 billion euros. And naysayers, what have they done to help ? 

https://www.euronews.com/2022/04/09/stand-up-for-ukraine-event-raises-more-than-ten-billion-euros

It was intimate and sweet and the choice of song is symbolic because for her, chosing to perform an Elton John's song, is like an olive branch. 

The more I watch it the more it moves me. Aside from the fact the song already has done emotional significance for me there are some wonderfully tender moments between M and David. An arm across his shoulder, the way he looks at her at one point - you can genuinely see and feel the love between mother and son and it’s delight.

A real contrast to some of the zaniness we see from Chez Ciccone sometimes. I would love more of this: gentle, simple and warm. 

This was one of my favorite Madonna moments in at least the last few years. She has such an emotional and beautiful voice when she keeps it simple...there are very few artists who are able to emote like she does, even if she doesn't always hit every note perfectly.

I'd love to hear a studio version of her doing this song, but I'm sure that won't ever happen. Alas.

Not gonna lie, I teared up a bit when they overlaid the Ukrainian pics. Such a devastating situation :sad:

It was a nice performance. A decent rendition of a classic song. I wish there was nothing detracting from that for me… but:

1.  Why not film the performance ‘properly’ with a decent camera and microphone - and at least put it in landscape, not portrait. 

2.  Her own introduction to this performance says that artists are here to ‘disturb the peace’. Really? In a time of war, when we are literally hoping and praying for peace…? Trying to get a MX tie-in here is unnecessary and the language is ill-judged.

3. That picture behind her. I could not believe it. The news is literally full of images of shallow graves and people finding their loved ones’ bodies on the side of roads in Ulkraine. I could not take that out of my mind for the whole performance. Maybe that was the intention…? She could have switched the picture for something more befitting. 

A nice performance, but I do not think that because it is for a ‘good cause’ that it is beyond reproach. Of course, any artist sees the value of contributing to such an event and for the contributing to the greater good - but they also see it as a public relations opportunity for their own cause. 

2 hours ago, Kieran said:

It was a nice performance. A decent rendition of a classic song. I wish there was nothing detracting from that for me… but:

1.  Why not film the performance ‘properly’ with a decent camera and microphone - and at least put it in portrait, not landscape. 

2.  Her own introduction to this performance says that artists are here to ‘disturb the peace’. Really? In a time of war, when we are literally hoping and praying for peace…? Trying to get a MX tie-in here is unnecessary and the language is ill-judged.

3. That picture behind her. I could not believe it. The news is literally full of images of shallow graves and people finding their loved ones’ bodies on the side of roads in Ulkraine. I could not take that out of my mind for the whole performance. Maybe that was the intention…? She could have switched the picture for something more befitting. 

A nice performance, but I do not think that because it is for a ‘good cause’ that it is beyond reproach. Of course, any artist sees the value of contributing to such an event and for the contributing to the greater good - but they also see it as a public relations opportunity for their own cause. 

Artists are here to disturb the peace makes sense to me. Think about how many people are literally ignoring what’s going on or acting like it’s not a big deal because of how far away they are from it. 

1 hour ago, gafuller said:

Artists are here to disturb the peace makes sense to me. Think about how many people are literally ignoring what’s going on or acting like it’s not a big deal because of how far away they are from it. 

Fine but we dont need to hear it repeated for six billion lightyears.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic