Madonna performance for Ukraine benefit

wonderboy

No, we can instead just listen to twits like you incessantly criticize everything fucking thing she does in incredible picky detail.  God. Damn.  So many of you are so fucking vapid and reductive.  Yes — Reductive.  In that you just parrot one another banal talking points. Christ — doesn’t it ever get boring being constantly cunty?  Apparently not.  But my — it’s certainly tedious to read for page after page.  Give it a rest already.

Edited by Markdonna
Typo (see edit history)

It was a nice performance. A decent rendition of a classic song. I wish there was nothing detracting from that for me… but:
1.  Why not film the performance ‘properly’ with a decent camera and microphone - and at least put it in landscape, not portrait. 

2.  Her own introduction to this performance says that artists are here to ‘disturb the peace’. Really? In a time of war, when we are literally hoping and praying for peace…? Trying to get a MX tie-in here is unnecessary and the language is ill-judged.
3. That picture behind her. I could not believe it. The news is literally full of images of shallow graves and people finding their loved ones’ bodies on the side of roads in Ulkraine. I could not take that out of my mind for the whole performance. Maybe that was the intention…? She could have switched the picture for something more befitting. 
A nice performance, but I do not think that because it is for a ‘good cause’ that it is beyond reproach. Of course, any artist sees the value of contributing to such an event and for the contributing to the greater good - but they also see it as a public relations opportunity for their own cause. 

I like you. You’re smart.

4 hours ago, Vasili said:

It still makes no sense to me, in this case.

Here’s James Baldwin’s full quote:

”Art has to be a kind of confession. I don’t mean a true confession in the sense of that dreary magazine. The effort it seems to me, is: if you can examine and face your life, you can discover the terms with which you are connected to other lives, and they can discover them, too — the terms with which they are connected to other people. This has happened to every one of us, I’m sure. You read something which you thought only happened to you, and you discovered it happened 100 years ago to Dostoyevsky. This is a very great liberation for the suffering, struggling person, who always thinks that they are alone. This is why art is important. Art would not be important if life were not important, and life is important. Most of us, no matter what we say, are walking in the dark, whistling in the dark. Nobody knows what is going to happen to them from one moment to the next, or how one will bear it. This is irreducible. And it’s true for everybody. Now, it is true that the nature of society is to create, among its citizens, an illusion of safety; but it is also absolutely true that the safety is always necessarily an illusion. Artists are here to disturb the peace. They have to disturb the peace. Otherwise, chaos.”

M considers anything she contributes as her art and even though we are praying for peace or the end of war, in this situation she is an artist. It is her job to bring awareness and disturb our “peace”. This is what art is for. I read a great book on what the purpose of poetry was in college and literally was that poetry is meant to break up the normalcy of daily living and make someone think and question something. To disturb their peace about a matter. By singing and contributing she was being awareness to us and hopefully disturbing someone’s peace about all of it. It was not directed at disturbing the peace that is absent in Ukraine because of a physical war. Hopefully that makes a little more sense. If not… remember M has a big ego so yeah ahahahah

• Enrico unfeatured this topic