Wanted new Queen of Pop.

chaosmen1984mk

Apparently it is already a custom that every time a new singer appears with a couple of hits, the media start calling her the new Queen of Pop, making her and her fans get excited thinking that this could be a reality. But having the most watched video on YouTube or 500 Grammys are not enough to have the right to hold a title or a crown that requires much more than that to be considered Queen of pop.

It's not just about sales or who has the most number ones, being the Queen of pop involves not only being a successful singer but also making an impact on popular culture and Madonna did it in a variety of ways, whether it was fighting for minority rights, encouraging women to express themselves openly and without fear before society, challenging the power and censorship of the Church, etc. And this in times where it was very risky to do all that since it was like fighting alone against the world but she didn't care and kept going despite putting her successful career at risk, which shows that she did it because she really wanted a change in the society even if she lost the fame, money and power that she had at that time.

So we see that having a new Queen of pop will never come true since achieving everything that Madonna did for society is something that today's stars don't seem to be willing to do since they don't want to compromise their careers on behalf of some social struggle (and that there is still so much to do in this world and they could use their popularity to achieve a change). So Madonna can rest assured that no one will be able to take away her crown because none of these artists deserve it and just as the Egyptian emperors were buried with their personal belongings and even with the servants who served them in life, when she dies her crown will be "buried" with her because there will never be someone in this world capable of equaling her, much less surpassing her.

This beautiful crown only has one owner and despite the fact that many appear who want to take it away, they will never achieve it even if they have billions of views on YouTube or trillions of followers on their social networks. They will have to settle for being pop princesses or duchesses.

metgala_2018_15.jpg.cc774ad587f357347a6d146805f51de6.jpg

Britney Spears was the only artist who represented the most serious possibility to become the new Queen of pop but let her personal problems and being overweight affect her musical career.

bsshave22.jpg.aad47eb0ef846924bee304aa7e367354.jpg

Wearing extravagant/ridiculous outfits or hairstyles, dressing as a man (creating a rather unpleasant and unbearable character to watch) or creating unnecessary controversies did not help Lady Gaga in the long run since people ended up getting bored of her and her songs. Here we see how important charisma is for an artist, Lady Gaga definitely did not have an iota of that, which Madonna had plenty of and that is why everyone loved her and had fun with her to this day.

E8nlcf9XsAgwL-S.jpg.f33ab0d0b7f140442c28753b531de7fa.jpg

Some call Janet Jackson the Queen of pop, but unfortunately she was only known in USA, but not in the rest of the world, so she may be the Queen of pop for many people in that country, but that title has a broader connotation than simply being limited to a single country that does not represent the musical tastes of the rest of the world.

C3sT65kWMAA20d32.jpg.f9b2fc3142f4e4af6fc63b5cd8c5b7cb.jpg

It has been decided that since no applicant was able to meet all the requirements, the position of new Queen of Pop is definitely and forever vacant.

This thread is just a major delusion of grandeur, especially the Janet comments. Janet is a worldwide phenomenon, not just a US only commodity and it's downright disrespectful to downplay Janet's legacy (as well as the other female artists mentioned, including using that picture of Britney's lowest moment) to uplift Madonna's legacy. Female artists and their stans need to lift everyone up instead of cutting each other down. It's so gross to continually downplay legacies to uplift other legacies.

I think as a female pop icon she was overall the top one, right, but at some points maybe other pop singers were above, but Madonna recovered it many times right? But, society has changed so so much lately, and I don´t think there´s more that thing of queen of this, queen of that...I mean, nowadays anyone play whatever they want on spoty, tik tok, probably seeking a trend, but I don´t it´s easy for music stars to be so global and known by everybody, as each and everybody are playing whatever they want on their own, and it is so much in the offer...And great icons are not there anymore. Think of Beyonce, she has been huge, but I really don´t now a lot of songs by her, whereas before, when somebody had great succes, that person was everywhere and anyone would take notice even against their will. So, my grandma knew for sure who Madonna was, but today I think it´s very easy a Grandma does not know who Lady gaga or Maluma are. 

DSo I do think that thing about queen of pop, king of pop, the voice, etc is a thing of the past, to tell you the truth. And younger generations do no know who Madonna is or what she has meant in history, which is a shame.

Who the fuck even cares? anyone can call themselves the king or queen of anything and that will not change talent, legacy or overall impact. I do not think Madonna is sitting around and wondering if she still holds the title Queen of Pop, pretty stupid thread to be honest.

This thread reeks of insecurity. Anyone with basic pop culture knowledge knows that the 'Queen Of Pop' honorific title has been widely associated with Madonna since the 80's. Not to take anything away from other iconic and accomplished women in music but you'd have to be very deluded to believe their success represents a serious threat to Madonna's status.

As of 2022, only three acts have sold more records than Madonna - The Beatles, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson - and most importantly, her cultural impact is still unmatched to this day, something that will be even more evident when she leaves this Earth, as morbid as that sounds. Even if Taylor Swift somehow surpasses her sales in 20 years, that will not suddenly erase the existence of Madonna's pioneering career and legacy. Adele demolished Aretha Franklin's total sales with just one album but it's the latter who will always be referred to as the 'Queen Of Soul'.

I do agree that it is kind of annoying how the 'Queen Of Pop' title has been passed around to virtually everyone while Michael's 'King Of Pop' title remains undisputed despite the massive success of Drake, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, etc. but I believe this is fundamentally based on the sexist notion that women are interchangeable and seemingly replaceable once they get older. We as fans also contribute to this toxicity, constantly pitting female artists against each other but the truth is they can all coexist and we should uplift and celebrate women, not bring them down.

1 hour ago, Karma said:

This thread reeks of insecurity. Anyone with basic pop culture knowledge knows that the 'Queen Of Pop' honorific title has been widely associated with Madonna since the 80's. Not to take anything away from other iconic and accomplished women in music but you'd have to be very deluded to believe their success represents a serious threat to Madonna's status.

As of 2022, only three acts have sold more records than Madonna - The Beatles, Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson - and most importantly, her cultural impact is still unmatched to this day, something that will be even more evident when she leaves this Earth, as morbid as that sounds. Even if Taylor Swift somehow surpasses her sales in 20 years, that will not suddenly erase the existence of Madonna's pioneering career and legacy. Adele demolished Aretha Franklin's total sales with just one album but it's the latter who will always be referred to as the 'Queen Of Soul'.

I do agree that it is kind of annoying how the 'Queen Of Pop' title has been passed around to virtually everyone while Michael's 'King Of Pop' title remains undisputed despite the massive success of Drake, Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber, Bruno Mars, etc. but I believe this is fundamentally based on the sexist notion that women are interchangeable and seemingly replaceable once they get older. We as fans also contribute to this toxicity, constantly pitting female artists against each other but the truth is they can all coexist and we should uplift and celebrate women, not bring them down.

Agree, but Madonna´s carreer is also declining very fast Lord knows why and she can´t go on with the level of excellence we used to see from her and this has to be A LOT  with all of the above commented. 

In this 2015 interview, the journalist tells Madonna about the princesses of pop that exist today, but she does not correct him or tells him that she does not agree with using honorific titles in music, rather she seems to agree with it  and she mentions that she likes to see princesses in music among them Taylor Swift whom she praises and I feel like she approves of her to be her next successor but I think that although she is very successful, she still has much more to do to be her worthy successor.

It starts from the minute 01:59.

Edited by chaosmen1984mk (see edit history)

19 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

Agree, but Madonna´s carreer is also declining very fast Lord knows why and she can´t go on with the level of excellence we used to see from her and this has to be A LOT  with all of the above commented. 

With all due respect, we have very unrealistic expectations for a mature woman entering her fifth decade in the music business. I think, as fans, we were spoiled with the idea of Madonna ruling the world for decades that perhaps we forgot, that in fact, most pop stars have a very short shelf-life. Madonna held on to the top of the charts for much longer than anyone could have ever dream of - 30 years of Top 10 hits to be exact - so a gradual decline was bound to happen at some point.

That being said, I'd say she is still doing pretty well for herself - her tours still sell out, her albums still debut at #1, she's the most streamed female artist from the 80's, 'Madame X' was her best reviewed album since 2005. Granted a 63 year old pop star cannot compete with the Arianas or Billies or the world but which of her peers possibly can? Will anyone care enough to post in a Billie Eilish forum in 2048, though? That's still to be determined.

13 hours ago, Love Is The Groove said:

This thread is just a major delusion of grandeur, especially the Janet comments. Janet is a worldwide phenomenon, not just a US only commodity and it's downright disrespectful to downplay Janet's legacy (as well as the other female artists mentioned, including using that picture of Britney's lowest moment) to uplift Madonna's legacy. Female artists and their stans need to lift everyone up instead of cutting each other down. It's so gross to continually downplay legacies to uplift other legacies.

Well, except for the North American singers who have declared that they are influenced by Janet Jackson, I have never heard other artists from other countries mention her as a reference. And when I talk about global impact, I mean the whole world, not just the United States and a few other countries

13 minutes ago, Karma said:

Mmm, with all due respect, fans have very unrealistic expectations for a mature woman entering her fifth decade in the music business. I think, as fans, we were spoiled with the idea of Madonna ruling the world for decades that perhaps we forgot, that in fact, most pop stars have a very short shelf-life. Madonna held on to the top of the charts for much longer than anyone could have ever dream of - 30 years of Top 10 hits to be exact - so a gradual decline was bound to happen at some point.

That being said, I'd say she is still doing pretty damn well for herself - her tours still sell out, her albums still debut at #1, she's the most streamed female artist of the 80's, 'Madame X' was her best reviewed album since 2005. Granted a 63 year old pop star cannot compete with the Arianas or Billies or the world but which of her peers possibly can? No one cares about how many flop albums someone like Cher has released but when it comes to Madonna, her wins and failures are magnified and scrutinized because she's still a fascinating figure that provokes a discussion. Will anyone care enough to post in a Billie Eilish forum in 2048? That's still to be determined.

I don´t agree: I follow artists and many women in, 70 years old, from my country for example, and they still do pretty good records and protect their voices and are very respected, despite not selling obviously as in their youth. Madonna´s duets con Maluma and her latest live performances pale in comparison with her great masterpieces, selling or not. A her public image pales compared to her past persona, full of strengh, wisdom, bravery and charisma and this has nothing to do with being older in my opinion.

6 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

As much as we still love her, it's undeaniable Madonna's career has gone on a downward spiral since her departure from Warner in 2007 and the wild/fierce competition she's faced from much younger peers from then on. I'd say she was able to remain relevant in the industry thanks to her touring where she's always excelled. I wouldn't say age is the key factor here, but rather her questionable collaborations, poor lead singles choices, extremely rude attitude and constant tardiness on the shows have diminished, somehow, her reputation.

It's so damn strange to think the same woman who recorded high quality records such as Ray Of Light and Confessions is now making headlines thanks to amateurish TikTok remixes.

7 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

Well, except for the North American singers who have declared that they are influenced by Janet Jackson, I have never heard other artists from other countries mention her as a reference. And when I talk about global impact, I mean the whole world, not just the United States and a few other countries

Several Kpop groups mentioning her as an inspiration not to mention her getting an inspiration award at an Asian music show ,,,,, But yeah "no global impact" ... 

Well, what I mentioned about Britney about her personal problems and being overweight was not my own or subjective opinion but rather something objective and that anyone can find if you google the Internet back in 2007 where numerous pages make fun of her for her presentation in the 2007 Mtv Music Awards and believed that her career was over. I personally adore Britney and I really would have liked her to be the new Queen of pop and the owner of the crown since she made a REAL global impact by being the first teenage pop star and she opened the doors to many of them who took her for reference, but sadly her peak popularity only lasted ten years and could not be sustained. Just in case I leave a link to a serious page (not tabloid) where they chronicle that:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/harshest-words-saved-for-britneys-body-21-09-2007/

22 hours ago, Karma said:

With all due respect, we have very unrealistic expectations for a mature woman entering her fifth decade in the music business. I think, as fans, we were spoiled with the idea of Madonna ruling the world for decades that perhaps we forgot, that in fact, most pop stars have a very short shelf-life. Madonna held on to the top of the charts for much longer than anyone could have ever dream of - 30 years of Top 10 hits to be exact - so a gradual decline was bound to happen at some point.

That being said, I'd say she is still doing pretty well for herself - her tours still sell out, her albums still debut at #1, she's the most streamed female artist from the 80's, 'Madame X' was her best reviewed album since 2005. Granted a 63 year old pop star cannot compete with the Arianas or Billies or the world but which of her peers possibly can? Will anyone care enough to post in a Billie Eilish forum in 2048, though? That's still to be determined.

The passage of time is like a powerful enemy that most artists cannot defeat and we see that when the radios refuse to play the songs of artists who are past a certain age or from the same society that considers it uncool to listen to songs by someone older but I think that you can defeat that enemy and the key is innovation, creating an innovative product with good compositions will make the album reach the top of the charts by itself. Madonna herself said in an interview in 2001 where she talked about Radiohead and where she considered their work as art and that good things somehow make it to the top of the charts

On 4/18/2022 at 6:38 PM, Drownedboy said:

"Declining very fast", are you even for real? She's 40 years in her career and still charted enough last decade despite her terrible single choices, she's one of the few with this much longevity in history and still works while her peers just straight up retire or show up to release an indecent album every 6 years, you guys talk about Madonna as if she's a newbie who has to drop a new album asap before getting erased from everyone's memory, what an insane standard you all have for this woman :rip:

Its Disney's fault, I'll say it louder for the people in the back. They saw in the 80s that MJ and Madonna were raking in $ and they ruined pop music. Now their little dingleberrys like Justin Timberlake, Miley, Britney, Jonas Brothers, Xtina, Olivia Rodrigo all Disney shite that took what was left of the grit and fun out of pop music, sanitized and McDonald-ized. Now there is a new generation that wants to recycle/replicate the recycled/replicated Disney shite and its just a big gross human centipede of marginal talent and big Disney bucks.

Also American Idol and other shit talent shows had a role in sanitizing and ruining the fun of pop music. Twenty years on and they've only produced a handful of true "idols". Karaoke garbage. 

2 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

The passage of time is like a powerful enemy that most artists cannot defeat and we see that when the radios refuse to play the songs of artists who are past a certain age or from the same society that considers it uncool to listen to songs by someone older but I think that you can defeat that enemy and the key is innovation, creating an innovative product with good compositions will make the album reach the top of the charts by itself. Madonna herself said in an interview in 2001 where she talked about Radiohead and where she considered their work as art and that good things somehow make it to the top of the charts

Yes! Just make good music. I don’t think anyone is ageist when it comes to Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris, Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Joni Mitchell (when these last two were still recording), and so many more. It’s really on us as fans, and Madonna herself, for holding on so tightly to image and the unwinnable popularity contest. Music is at the core of our love affair with Madonna, and this is the same for the general public, but she is a complex artist and person, and has her own needs. 🤷🏻‍♂️