Wanted new Queen of Pop.

chaosmen1984mk

On 4/18/2022 at 2:37 PM, Love Is The Groove said:

This thread is just a major delusion of grandeur, especially the Janet comments. Janet is a worldwide phenomenon, not just a US only commodity and it's downright disrespectful to downplay Janet's legacy (as well as the other female artists mentioned, including using that picture of Britney's lowest moment) to uplift Madonna's legacy. Female artists and their stans need to lift everyone up instead of cutting each other down. It's so gross to continually downplay legacies to uplift other legacies.

To be fair Janet's biggest markets were the USA and Asia circa 1986-2002 - she didn't have that many hits outside of those regions so not worldwide as such

2 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

To be fair Janet's biggest markets were the USA and Asia circa 1986-2002 - she didn't have that many hits outside of those regions so not worldwide as such

But then why would she have wasted her time going on international tours with sold out shows in European countries if she didn't have big market pull in those countries? That literally makes zero sense. Footage like what's shown in this montage specifically tells me that she had/has a worldwide market and she just did a great tour of Australia/NZ before the pandemic so I don't get why you're saying what you're saying. 

3 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

I share your opinion. In many forums they also comment the same. I can speak for Latin America: Janet Jackson was never popular, in fact even Toya Jackson is better known than her in this part of the world (a very charismatic and pleasant woman by the way). I searched for information about her history in Europe and they mention some hits but they did not reach the top of the UK charts. So I think that a true Queen of pop should be recognized all over the world and her songs stay in people's memory. That's why I was surprised to discover that many in the USA consider Janet to be the queen of pop, but I respect that opinion, although I don't share it. Something similar happens in Colombia: many say that Shakira is the Queen of pop but I feel that they say it motivated by a feeling of nationalism instead of seeing reality.

3 hours ago, Love Is The Groove said:

But then why would she have wasted her time going on international tours with sold out shows in European countries if she didn't have big market pull in those countries? That literally makes zero sense. Footage like what's shown in this montage specifically tells me that she had/has a worldwide market and she just did a great tour of Australia/NZ before the pandemic so I don't get why you're saying what you're saying. 

She was here in Australia as part of a RNB legacy act festival however it didn't go so well - she was the last act on the night and a lot of people left etc https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7692069/RnB-Fridays-Live-crowd-walk-Janet-Jackson-concert-Brisbane.html

Very unlikely she would be booked here again '

A 5 minute peruse of Wikipedia shows that she has been touring Europe, Australia, Africa, Asia, and nordic countries since the beginning of her career. Exceptions being when she was pregnant and after September 11, 2001. 

Her past tours resemble a Billie Eilish Tour of NOW or a Taylor Swift Tour of NOW or a damn Beyonce Tour...