Marcus Leatherdale dies at 69

PlasticLimbo

https://extratv.com/2022/04/23/marcus-leatherdale-obituary-madonna/

Leatherdale was the boyfriend of Robert Mapplethorpe (1946-1989), worked with him and went on to establish himself as a fine-arts photographer renowned for his portraiture and works documenting religious figures in India. 

"I only photographed Madonna once, I was set to photograph Martin Burgoyne and he asked me if I would shoot his good friend and roommate, as well. He told me that Madonna was about to put out her first record. We listened to the songs 'Holiday' and 'Borderline' on a cassette. They both came to my studio together. I dressed her in my jean vest. She was quiet and easy to photograph. The next evening, I was having my 30thbirthday dinner at Club A and invited Martin and Madonna. Madonna sat next to Andy Warhol and Andree Putman. Andy asked me who she was, I told him that she was an upcoming singer. 'Greaaat,' said Andy. She was very, again, quiet and left early. She and Martin gave me an AstroBoy robot for a birthday gift. Of course, Madonna must have been career driven, she would have to have been. Very focused, I respect that."

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdtWhdJEKV6A2oHk9YYLTimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQB_NQJ2M00Jpk3WMnvqme

RIP.

Always loved those photos. M would actually look very cool with this same look today. Never knew the Mapplethorpe connection. I read somewhere recently that M was "scared" of Mapplethorpe. Can't remember where or if that's true. Would have been pretty cool if he had photographed her. I watched the Mapplethorpe doc that World of Wonder did. His subject matter and the controversy around his work shown in that doc, gave me the impression that he was an obvious inspiration for The Sex Book. It's weird he is never mentioned when people speak of the inspirations for the book.

RIP.
Always loved those photos. M would actually look very cool with this same look today. Never knew the Mapplethorpe connection. I read somewhere recently that M was "scared" of Mapplethorpe. Can't remember where or if that's true. Would have been pretty cool if he had photographed her. I watched the Mapplethorpe doc that World of Wonder did. His subject matter and the controversy around his work shown in that doc, gave me the impression that he was an obvious inspiration for The Sex Book. It's weird he is never mentioned when people speak of the inspirations for the book.

Mapplethorpe was a Scorpio, so that could explain it!
It was from her 1999 Aperture interview:
M: …A good photographer creates an environment for you to shine—for you to express yourself in whatever statement it is you want to make. And you do have to feel comfortable with people. I remember Robert Mapplethorpe kept asking to photograph me back in the day, but he scared the shit out of me.
V: Why?
M: I don’t know why, he just did.
V: You seem relatively unscareable.
M: Yeah, but there was some energy that he had that I didn’t feel comfortable with. And I couldn’t even explain to you what it was. I was very young when I met him and I hadn’t been living in New York that long…

58 minutes ago, Vasili said:

Mapplethorpe was a Scorpio, so that could explain it!
It was from her 1999 Aperture interview:
M: …A good photographer creates an environment for you to shine—for you to express yourself in whatever statement it is you want to make. And you do have to feel comfortable with people. I remember Robert Mapplethorpe kept asking to photograph me back in the day, but he scared the shit out of me.
V: Why?
M: I don’t know why, he just did.
V: You seem relatively unscareable.
M: Yeah, but there was some energy that he had that I didn’t feel comfortable with. And I couldn’t even explain to you what it was. I was very young when I met him and I hadn’t been living in New York that long…

Thank you! That's really interesting. 

5 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

I always forget that... Can't compute.

Are you one?

I'd love to know which Scorpio fucked her over in the earlier part of her life for her to have developed that feeling.

Her brother, Chris, is one, and I remember that she greeted Demi Moore with "Hi, Scorpio" in some live chat once.

Then there is this...

Oh, and this:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/madonna-david-guetta-refused-work-star-sign-scorpio-b801487.html

Love it.