Question about the Virgin Tour VHS/DVD

Roland Barthes

How many shows in Detroit were shot  ? During Over and Over you can see it is from two different nights because her eye makeup is pristine in the close ups and then on some shots you can see her eye shadow is heavier and leaking 

image.png.bd9810dc4af691e222167de8b4b25fc6.png

image.png.9c761057bc28c8d461a43dddcb81ef89.png

Or did they reshoot some tracks without the audience during the day in between nights after watching the reels from the first night ?

There are little video (and audio!) tricks to make the release perfect... as @Franksaid she's been doing this since the first tour. Make sense, since she wants to offer the best experience possible. I prefer it that way too.

In "The Virgin Tour" there are close-ups clearly taken apart from the actual concert (she literally has the camera on her face). Plus, on the audio aspect, I'm sure there were tweaks here and there in post-production and mixing. If you listen to leaked audios or fan recordings, her voice is not that perfect all the time (and it was her first proper tour, also).

2 hours ago, Frank said:

So she's been doing it since the very beginning. And we still are surprised when she uses different shots from different shows in the latest tours recordings... XDDDD

I don't think anyone was surprised, just interested. Shame they scrapped the performances of Angel, Borderline and Burning Up for the vhs release but if it sounded a bit weak it's understandable. This was back in the days before studio recordings were played over the live vocal to give a fuller sound. Still I guess that does mean that there's a chance they have the rehearsal footage of those three performances somewhere, maybe, hopefully.

5 hours ago, drunkby6 said:

Maybe they shot the dress rehearsal. If I could go back in time to see one tour, this would've been the one. She was on fire! Gambler and Over and Over are so raw.

I love the Virgin tour so much. I bought it on vhs when it came out... before we even had a video player. The performance of Gambler is amazing

DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT DETROIT!? 

Thank you for your answers.

Clearly some scenes were shot post prod with hand held cameras close to her on stage. We still don't have the answer for Borderline, Angel and Burning Up. My take : time constraint, due to technology or some stupid legality clause, as the same year Prince released the Purple Tour on two separate 60 minutes long VHS 

https://www.discogs.com/fr/master/452078-Prince-And-The-Revolution-Live?image=7891151.SW1hZ2U6MjQ0MDk1ODM%3D

Tina Live, same year was also 55 minutes long only 

https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/5423041-Tina-Turner-Tina-Live-Private-Dancer-Tour/image/SW1hZ2U6Mzg4MjI1MTg=

Same with U2 

https://www.discogs.com/fr/master/357358-U2-Under-A-Blood-Red-Sky-U2-Live-At-Red-Rocks/image/SW1hZ2U6MTIwODIxMg==

So they must have the whole Virgin tour filmed somewhere (maybe the missing tracks don't have post prod on them though).

3 hours ago, Roland Barthes said:

Thank you for your answers.

Clearly some scenes were shot post prod with hand held cameras close to her on stage. We still don't have the answer for Borderline, Angel and Burning Up. My take : time constraint, due to technology or some stupid legality clause, as the same year Prince released the Purple Tour on two separate 60 minutes long VHS 

Yeah, I remember reading on a book that at that time the concerts had that duration for legality clauses and things like that. The book said that that was the reason why the instrumental interludes were cut and with the songs they decided "Angel" and "Borderline" because they were the weakest songs (she only sang half of "Borderline") and "Burning Up" because they were afraid that people find it too hot and they wanted a VHS for all publics. Maybe it was just a theory but I think it could be possible.

The first thing Warner should do is publish the Virgin tour on blu ray, I don't expect the full version because as usual it would be too much, but the VHS / Laserdisc version first restored well and then brought to HD, as is done for many concerts by other singers and also for many movie ( I absolutely do not hope for it but it would be even now , just see what is released by the record companies of other artists ). 

It is truly shameful that there is little or nothing in blu ray, and that many tours released on VHS and later on DVD have never had the treatment they deserve.The sure thing is that if they have to release blu ray with the You tube fake HD quality  then they can also avoid it.

The Virgin Tour is simply HISTORY and it's time for fans to have what they have been wanting for years.

5uZO.gif