The Look of Love question

o_g_c_x

"While shooting for the film, then called Slammer, Madonna had requested that producer Patrick Leonard develop a downtempo song that captured the nature of her film persona. She later wrote the lyrics and melody to the backing track developed by Leonard, and the song became "The Look of Love"."

11 hours ago, Prayer said:

I don't think that's Patrick Leonard?

Maybe it's some random session singer and just went uncredited.

You are probably right, he doesn't sing anywhere else.

Also this:

"The Look Of Love was written, produced and recorded by Madonna and Patrick Leonard during the second of a three-day studio session, with the title track of the soundtrack being written and recorded on the first day. Additional musicians were brought in for overdubs and mixing was completed for both tracks by the end of the third day."

It wasn't strange not credit lots of people involved

6 hours ago, Franknkm said:

Nope... 

It's Madonna voice just pitch... like the edit live vocal in the WTGWT from Tokio where the backing singers (Donna, Niki & Debra) are compl pitched... 

;)

Did they have the technology to do that back then?

I remember when the Secret remixes came out it was said it’s a new technology that allowed them to speed up the track without changing the pitch

6 hours ago, Franknkm said:

Nope... 

It's Madonna voice just pitch... like the edit live vocal in the WTGWT from Tokio where the backing singers (Donna, Niki & Debra) are compl pitched... 

;)

It doesn't sound like Madonna's vocals pitched down to me? It totally sounds like another male backing vocal.

The first time they did that was with "Express Yourself", where we can clearly listen to "male Madonna" pitched down:

7 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I remember when the Secret remixes came out it was said it’s a new technology that allowed them to speed up the track without changing the pitch

Well it’s pitched lower and slower……so I guess that pretty simple, unlike faster but the same pitch 

17 hours ago, Prayer said:

It doesn't sound like Madonna's vocals pitched down to me? It totally sounds like another male backing vocal.

The first time they did that was with "Express Yourself", where we can clearly listen to "male Madonna" pitched down:

Well... it's about pitch level, speed and tone... 

Well you know, this kind of filters comes from late '70, but not usually used in the '80 pop/dance music...

18 minutes ago, Bjonkers said:

Didn't they use pitch-shifting techniques as far back as her Material Girl and LAV vocals? Except to make them higher?

It was said that they did that yeah, to take away credit from her as usual, but I think the "helium voice" effect is simply a result of the vinyl speed and sound - if you listen to the leaked multitracks her vocals are raw yeah, but not lower:

I think she simply forced that higher voice on the studio.

"Material Girl" and "Like A Virgin" were always meant to be sung with that tongue in cheek high voice (her being "ironic", etc. you know).

On 4/29/2022 at 12:34 AM, thegoldencalf said:

Yes, they could alter the pitch by slowing or speeding up the tape. Many artists did that decades before. She would have to had recorded the song at double the speed and then they would slow the tape down to get that effect. Even the Chipmunks albums would have been made by doing the reverse.

The technology used by Junior was different as its done in the early days of digital recording. And like you said it was changing the tempo without altering the pitch which is something quite different.

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Yes, they could alter the pitch by slowing or speeding up the tape. Many artists did that decades before. She would have to had recorded the song at double the speed and then they would slow the tape down to get that effect. Even the Chipmunks albums would have been made by doing the reverse.

The technology used by Junior was different as its done in the early days of digital recording. And like you said it was changing the tempo without altering the pitch which is something quite different.

Yes I’m aware they could slow down tracks to lower the pitch. But I find that very unlikely.