Madonna At Her Best! Dark Ballet - Red Rooster

Alibaba

• Alibaba changed the title to Madonna At Her Best! Dark Ballet - Red Rooster

While not sure about the motion element in her performances anymore, which used to be dancing, I believe she has managed to maintain her magnetism and the beautiful qualities in her voice that separate her from all female artists out there. I don't know why she refuses to follow her talents and opt for things that only make sense to her. The robotic part of this song for example she turned into a wonderful musical piece that could be sung in movies and theatres.

Of course it is hard for her to get back in track every now and then, she is not a frequent performer anymore and every time she wakes up from her slumber to promote something live it's going to become worse and worse. To keep being a powerful performer she would have to work hard for it to gain back her confidence and stamina or find a new style of performance that suits her changing body and audience, even more stable. But sex acts and wobbling on top of sex acts and wobbling isn't a powerful performance.

That said, I consider myself luckier than many fans because I believe in the strength of her later discography and it will always be a reason for me to follow her. The performance you were so kind to upload is proof that she is magnetic and she can still sing and write some beautiful thought provoking lyrics. With some greater effort, I'm confident she will reemerge as darling name in live performances. I'm looking forward to the times when we won't be trying to find excuses for her anymore. She got older, fatter, hadn't rehearsed, she was having fun etc. Looking forward to times when we'll be saying that SHE ATE!

Dark Ballet was the highlight of the Harlem performance, unfortunately the rest could not have been like that. Her natural voice can still sound good when she does not try to do too much at one time. I would love to see her do some type of stripped down thing, no bullshit, just Madonna and a guitar singing classic songs and dressed elegantly.

The point of this thread is to celebrate an example of Madonna still having the ability to own the moment with an effective performance. We’ve all had our chance to critique her in recent days. Please try not to turn this into another opportunity to let everyone know that you don’t think she’s any good. It really isn’t worth the effort and it just kills the vibe. I mean no disrespect, and you’re entitled to you’re opinion. I just think it would be nice to have a moment of appreciation. 

The point of this thread is to celebrate an example of Madonna still having the ability to own the moment with an effective performance. We’ve all had our chance to critique her in recent days. Please try not to turn this into another opportunity to let everyone know that you don’t think she’s any good. It really isn’t worth the effort and it just kills the vibe. I mean no disrespect, and you’re entitled to you’re opinion. I just think it would be nice to have a moment of appreciation. 

I believe I have freedom of speech on my side here, despite your orders?
In my opinion, this wasn’t Madonna at her best, as your title suggests.

The Harlem performance of Dark Ballet shows how many things you can do if you get rid of backing tracks and album version sounds, going back to live instrumentation.

The Joan of Arc section makes more sense in this jazzy rendition.

I really appreciate the real vocals in Crazy, despite the flaws. Much better than the tour's version. Here it is, for @Jackie:

Thanks for the video, it was new for me, so yeah, actually a nice surprise and a reminder of how good she can still sound and how her natural performer skills are still there.

My question is: why this wasn't even mentioned then in the Medellín live meltdown topic, in the middle of all the narrative of how she's been "erratic" and "lost" for 3? 5? years? My point there was exactly this: that (with age limitations, of course) she still got it and we have plenty of examples of that, the "Medellin" Billboard performance or the "Madame X Tour" being another good ones.

I just wish some of you simply didn't choose to forget it and only focus on the negative when she's just have a "not that perfect" or a rough day. She had those too "back in the day" - imagine the meltdowns if we all had been here after the VMAs 1998, for instance.

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

Thanks for the video, it was new for me, so yeah, actually a nice surprise and a reminder of how good she can still sound and how her natural performer skills are still there.

My question is: why this wasn't even mentioned then in the Medellín live meltdown topic, in the middle of all the narrative of how she's been "erratic" and "lost" for 3? 5? years? My point there was exactly this: that (with age limitations, of course) she still got it and we have plenty of examples of that, the "Medellin" Billboard performance or the "Madame X Tour" being another good ones.

I just wish some of you simply didn't choose to forget it and only focus on the negative when she's just have a "not that perfect" or a rough day. She had those too "back in the day" - imagine the meltdowns if we all had been here after the VMAs 1998, for instance.

I see your point but lets not try and act like the whole performance was as good as Dark Ballet. I just think she should go back to the basics, I miss her voice live and real instrumentation. In an age of processed performers, having her switch things up would be refreshing. Like I said before, some type of acoustic event would be amazing.

1 minute ago, Drownedboy said:

I must say I am replaying Madame x these days and it was so much bettter than I remebered...

Funny enough, I was thinking lately how all Madonna's eras need a little time to put them in perspective, some of them make more sense in the context of her whole journey as a woman and as an artist.

7 hours ago, Prayer said:

Just because there wasn’t an online community doesn’t mean many of us didn’t have our own private meltdowns back in 1998. 😜

14 hours ago, Vasili said:

In my opinion, her vocals here are nothing to rave about.

They’re not. They’re alright. But alright is a lot better than most of her last decade vocals, so for her, I’d say this deserves a bit of recognition.

Some of this though is still off-key, but overall a nice change.

Shame the same couldn’t be said for La Isla Bonita 😅

3 hours ago, Alibaba said:

Just because there wasn’t an online community doesn’t mean many of us didn’t have our own private meltdowns back in 1998. 😜

Ah yes I was terrified by that ray of light vocals at the time. They played them on the radio, my sister could not believe it. I think that case was much more serious than the medellin performance, and that´s her supposedly at her peak.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:27 PM, Prayer said:

There was an online community in 1998 and there were meltdowns over that actually