How do you prefer to listen to M? (& Vinyl Qs)

Kieran

How do your prefer to listen to Madonna?  

58 members voted

1. 1. How do your mostly listen to Madonna?

• CD
    • Streaming service (free)
    • Streaming service (subscription)
    • Locally stored digital collection (FLAC/MPSs)
    • Vinyl
    • Digital collection on your phone
    • Other

What with the recent chatter about the FEL vinyl, this has rejuvenated my interest in *starting* a vinyl collection. However, I have so many things/thoughts holding me back. Then I got to thinking - how much would I actually use my vinyl collection - and to what extent is the vinyl experience dependent on the quality of your setup (player and speakers etc). Is the value completely lost if you only have a limited setup? Are headphones a common choice for listening? Don't you lack the 'freedom' and versatility of digital?

Does the quality of vinyl really stand out above all others?

Are M vinyl fans/collectors a minority?

So what is your preferred/primary method of listening to M and your M collection? And any thoughts on the vinyl discussion...?

I have to say - I am quite partial to having my digital collection stored locally and playing this through my SONOS speaker etc.

• Kieran changed the title to How do you prefer to listen to M? (& Vinyl Qs)
14 minutes ago, Kieran said:

What with the recent chatter about the FEL vinyl, this has rejuvenated my interest in *starting* a vinyl collection. However, I have so many things/thoughts holding me back. Then I got to thinking - how much would I actually use my vinyl collection - and to what extent is the vinyl experience dependent on the quality of your setup (player and speakers etc). Is the value completely lost if you only have a limited setup? Are headphones a common choice for listening? Don't you lack the 'freedom' and versatility of digital?

Does the quality of vinyl really stand out above all others?

Are M vinyl fans/collectors a minority?

So what is your preferred/primary method of listening to M and your M collection? And any thoughts on the vinyl discussion...?

I have to say - I am quite partial to having my digital collection stored locally and playing this through my SONOS speaker etc.

I tend to listen to vinyl and streaming. Digital is great for playlists and stuff you simply can't get in physical format or when you're on the go (obviously) but vinyl is a different experience altogether. Some M albums just shine on vinyl (Erotica, Ray of Light) while with some others I don't see much difference. I also love the ritual of playing a record, handling the physical object, sleeve, etc. My Like A Prayer copy still smells of patchouli for example and it's a lovely thing taking it out and dropping the needle.

Set up does matter but you can easily get a decent turntable without breaking bank these days. I alternate between listening on headphones or through speakers. I would just buy your favourite M album on vinyl (find a decent pressing ideally) and see how you feel and whether you enjoy going back to it, or are happy with the streaming version. Be warned though, collecting records can be addictive and can turn out to be a never-ending hunt. :) 

For me the vinyl collection is more about the hobby of collecting and I because I find them really beautiful. I don’t listen to them very often because it’s an entire process. Especially the singles.

But I do prefer the vinyl to any digital release for many records. 
Theres a lengthy thread in the Collectors forum discussing the best vinyl pressings for each album.

To get a decent vinyl experience I wouldn’t recommend any turntable priced under $2-300. And even though I mostly listen on my speakers but many use headphones.

I have a locally stored lossless collection that I stream through my phone

Hi-Fi streaming plugged to a classic harman kardon stereo receiver and massive wooden floor standing speakers. 

For me nothing beats listening to music that way. Sitting in the stereo triangle and hearing all the little intricacies of the production. 

If anyone does this similarly, check out Max Richter’s rearrangement of Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, in master quality on tidal or even Apple Music. Or ultra HD on Amazon. It’s just magical. 

I'm a collector, so I buy everything I like in physical media (vinyls, CDs, comic-books, etc, etc).  I never open them because I want my collection shiny and new... But I need to listen the music with the best quality (the same with TV_Series and Films) so I have digital files with the best quality stored in different hard drives (from Tidal, Qobuz, primeVideo, Disney+, Netflix, UHD rips, BD rips, etc, etc, etc). And yes, I have streaming service (subscription).

I only open my physical media when is unavailable on internet (and I make a perfect 1:1 copy to my hard drive).

PS: Nowadays, many streaming services have better quality than the physical media, at least in music (Tidal, Qobuz...)

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

I'm a collector, so I buy everything I like in physical media (vinyls, CDs, comic-books, etc, etc).  I never open them because I want my collection shiny and new... But I need to listen the music with the best quality (the same with TV_Series and Films) so I have digital files with the best quality stored in different hard drives (from Tidal, Qobuz, primeVideo, Disney+, Netflix, UHD rips, BD rips, etc, etc, etc). And yes, I have streaming service (subscription).

I only open my physical media when is unavailable on internet (and I make a perfect 1:1 copy to my hard drive).

PS: Nowadays, many streaming services have better quality than the physical media, at least in music (Tidal, Qobuz...)

Too bad there’s no way to accurately replicate a vinyl master from the record

I stream when I’m commuting or traveling and listen to vinyl at home. I occasionally listen to CDs or cassettes but very rarely. Being a graphic designer, I have an appreciation for artwork and the variants across formats so will always be more connected to physical releases. With streaming I never feel like I truly “own” the release like with physical media. The only downsize is the space physical media takes up, I moved abroad last year and the hardest part was transporting my vinyl collection.

I'm a collector since 1987 and my listening habits evolved - I stopped listening to cassettes and vinyl in 1991 as CDs came in and then stopped listening to CD's from 2001 as was able to make my own cds from downloaded files so I didn't have to play the bought ones. Then itunes from 2005 and then streaming. I listen to M on streaming unless it's something that isn't on there, then  I listen to the files I have.

I'm also the type of collector that if an item comes sealed, it stays that way and I collect all formats. promos etc from most countries. Crazy I know 

On 5/8/2022 at 4:07 PM, kesiak said:

I would just buy your favourite M album on vinyl (find a decent pressing ideally) and see how you feel and whether you enjoy going back to it, or are happy with the streaming version. Be warned though, collecting records can be addictive and can turn out to be a never-ending hunt. :) 

Yes, I had considered getting a streamlined vinyl collection of my faves - but then think it would just grow and grow lol. I'm not sure if I'm ready for the OCD and being worried about covers arriving dented etc in the post!

On 5/8/2022 at 4:32 PM, slutpride said:

I own a bunch of CDs, but they're just gathering dust.

This is where I am - I have just moved my CDs and considered for the first time ever putting them out of sight in storage somewhere. And then would a vinyl collection end up the same...?

On 5/8/2022 at 7:57 PM, HampusFL said:

Locally stored files... never listen to vinyls...and I have a lot of them.... CDs I only listen to in the car.

This is what I am worried about. Will I buy a nice collection but rarely use it. I dread the day I get a new car and there is no CD player lol.

On 5/8/2022 at 8:16 PM, rlittler81 said:

Being a graphic designer, I have an appreciation for artwork and the variants across formats so will always be more connected to physical releases. With streaming I never feel like I truly “own” the release like with physical media. The only downsize is the space physical media takes up, I moved abroad last year and the hardest part was transporting my vinyl collection.

I have considered getting some vinyl frames for a few of my favourite album covers - buying the vinyl just to display the cover artwork. Some are works of art, literally. And holding that mammoth piece of heavy art in your hands... it's great.

On 5/8/2022 at 11:22 PM, Vasili said:

Save your money and live lighter, I say.
Collecting seems like a slippery slope.

This is the bottom line, isn't it! Do I 'need' more stuff...!?

I listen to maybe 1 or 2 streamed tracks a month. My CDs are in the attic. Vinyl all the way. I will purposely put off listening to stuff i have not heard until i get the vinyl....its also a great investment for my kids future.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 1:19 AM, thegoldencalf said:

For me the vinyl collection is more about the hobby of collecting and I because I find them really beautiful. I don’t listen to them very often because it’s an entire process. Especially the singles.

But I do prefer the vinyl to any digital release for many records. 
Theres a lengthy thread in the Collectors forum discussing the best vinyl pressings for each album.

To get a decent vinyl experience I wouldn’t recommend any turntable priced under $2-300. And even though I mostly listen on my speakers but many use headphones.

I have a locally stored lossless collection that I stream through my phone

I agree with you, there’s something special about the vinyl and CD formats, especially if you’re a collector trying to hunt down that rare or elusive item. Digital files may be convenient and versatile but nothing beats owning the physical formats which provides an elevated experience.

1 hour ago, Tex20 said:

Digital files may be convenient and versatile but nothing beats owning the physical formats which provides an elevated experience.

Nowadays many digital files are Hi-Def (Master Quality) so they are more than convenient and versatile. The problem is that it's very hard to find them in physical formats (Blu-ray Audio, SACD, MQA-CD, etc, etc).

11 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Nowadays many digital files are Hi-Def (Master Quality) so they are more than convenient and versatile. The problem is that it's very hard to find them in physical formats (Blu-ray Audio, SACD, MQA-CD, etc, etc).

I'm talking about the physical aspect, not just the sound quality. A digital file is still just a file regardless of its bitrate or quality, but vinyl and CDs offer much more with packaging and design which can also make them very collectible. That's why I prefer them over digital.