LAV Appeciation (Well...maybe not Shoo Bee Doo)

I havent listened to this in a long time. 1st album I bought of hers back in 84 (yes I'm that old).  It holds up as a picture of the 80's. But SBD is not the great.  The rest......Angel, Pretender, Stay (love that that was a song that was even before the 1st album and she brought it back).

Such a shame she's a hot mess now. (and before you all start on me.......I was there from the start and have seen this go from my 1st view of her when I was 12 to my now nearly 50 year old self).

PXL_20220513_152625929 (1)(1).jpg

Imo Shoo-Bee-Doo is hated mostly for its stupid title, seems a Scooby Doo ripoff lol, but it's literally a super sweet track and it's greatly produced, I don't get the despise by fans??? 

LAV is a good album, but I honestly prefer her more recent stuff to it tbh, especially MX. Still good tho 

1 hour ago, Garry Howieson said:

I havent listened to this in a long time. 1st album I bought of hers back in 84 (yes I'm that old).  It holds up as a picture of the 80's. But SBD is not the great.  The rest......Angel, Pretender, Stay (love that that was a song that was even before the 1st album and she brought it back).

Such a shame she's a hot mess now. (and before you all start on me.......I was there from the start and have seen this go from my 1st view of her when I was 12 to my now nearly 50 year old self).

PXL_20220513_152625929 (1)(1).jpg

I love this album! And I quite agree, I'm not big on Shoo Bee Doo either - it's too boring of a track to listen to. I love the rest of the songs though, particularly Like a Virgin, Over and Over, Dress You Up, Pretender, and Stay.

And I quite agree on one other point: she is one hell of a mess these days! She's like Kim Kardashian on steroids. :lol:

I will never undersand why some fans claim Like a Virgin is one of her weakest albuns.

Really?

An album with classic and unforgettable songs like Material Girl, Like a Virgin, Dress you Up, Into the Groove and Angel.

And also some very good pop songs like Love don't live here anymore, Over and Over and Stay. 

Also we still have Crazy for you and Gambler from the same era. 

IMO, it's on my top 3: Like a Prayer, Ray of Light and Like a Virgin.  

Love the album very 80s - at the time she was probably the hottest new pop star in the world.

The album and her music from this album were everywhere.

Love Into The Groove, Dress You Up, Angel , Over and Over  & Like a Virgin

Never really liked Material Girl and think Angel is the forgotten gem from this album  - such a great 80s song and another fan favourite she has never performed well since the Virgin Tour and most never saw it as was cut from the released filming of the tour

The other album tracks are great too

6 hours ago, lap said:

I will never undersand why some fans claim Like a Virgin is one of her weakest albuns.

Really?

An album with classic and unforgettable songs like Material Girl, Like a Virgin, Dress you Up, Into the Groove and Angel.

And also some very good pop songs like Love don't live here anymore, Over and Over and Stay. 

The singles are great, and it's for sure her golden era. It's considered as a weak album because listening to the singles/ complications is quite enough. Non-single tracks here are not as strong as the debut album IMO

I also used to dismiss "Shoo-Bee-Doo" for its cringy title, but now I appreciate it as a sweet homage to Motown music. In fact, all of Madonna's cutesy love songs from this period are very reminiscent of the 60s girl groups that she grew up admiring to ("Shoo-Bee-Doo", "Angel", "True Blue", "Cherish", "Jimmy Jimmy"). This MTV commercial made me like the song.

As for the Like A Virgin album, it really grew on me in the past year or so. She obviously released more artistic and conceptual bodies of work, but the cultural importance of this era cannot be understated. She really changed the game for women in music (LAV was the first album by a female artist to be certified 5x platinum in the U.S.).

Admittedly, the 80s production sounds kind of dated by now, but those timeless hooks and melodies still hold up remarkably well. "Like A Virgin", "Material Girl", "Angel", "Into The Groove", "Dress You Up" - most mainstream artists spend their whole careers trying to craft irresistibly catchy tunes such as those.

Similarly to The Beatles in their early years, Madonna was definitely aiming for the lucrative teenybopper market, but I don't think that takes away her artistic merits. Teenagers are a tough crowd to please and it was impressive how they instantly gravitated to her, a grown 25-year-old woman.

Whether she liked it or not, she became an overnight aspirational role model for so many young girls and gay boys trying to find themselves in a very conservative world. Her attitude, her style and her unabashed sexuality shaped an entire generation. And in many ways, Madonna rolling around in her wedding dress at the VMAs was a punk-rock statement in itself.

With this record, Madonna put her own clever spin on so many stereotypical female archetypes - the virgin and the whore, the angel and the gold-digger, the hopeless romantic and the ambitious feminist - and arguably popularized the concept of powerful women at the forefront of the music industry. And for that, I'll always be grateful for Like A Virgin.

I actually don't mind Shoo Bee Doo tbh. It's not my favorite LAV song by any means, but it's a harmless filler track. I really don't like LDLHA though. I hate cover songs as a general rule, and this one in particular annoys me because it's so overdramatic.

On 5/13/2022 at 2:04 PM, lap said:

Really?

Shouldn’t ‘Into the Groove’ have been added to the 2001 remaster? It was not part of the original 1984 pressing (it was added to some 1985 pressings), but so weren’t the two extended mixes of ‘Like a Virgin’ and ‘Material Girl’. Missed opportunity right there. The album is solid enough without it, but that ‘Desperate Seeking Susan’ song makes it even stronger.

@Karma @MDNA22

49 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

Shouldn’t ‘Into the Groove’ have been added to the 2001 remaster? It was not part of the original 1984 pressing (it was added to some 1985 pressings), but so weren’t the two extended mixes of ‘Like a Virgin’ and ‘Material Girl’. Missed opportunity right there. The album is solid enough without it, but that ‘Desperate Seeking Susan’ song makes it even stronger.

@Karma @MDNA22

Totally! I always considered "Into The Groove", "Crazy For You" and "Gambler" to be part of the Virgin era. Hopefully they will get proper recognition in the upcoming reissue campaign :).

1 hour ago, Arckangel said:

@Karma @MDNA22

Yes 100%  -  The extended mixes of LAC and Material Girl sound so dated  - Into The Groove would be a much stronger addition and forget it was on originally on the first pressings.  @Karama I agree Gambler and especially Crazy For You are part of the Virgin era and would make the album even stronger again. In never really realised that  LAV has the sound of Chic all through it because Nile Rogers produced it