Madonna to Perform at Pride 2022

Fabiolous

7 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

Seeing that pic of her at the Roxy for Confessions made me wonder. Were people disappointed she showed up there and Misshapes and just danced a little? Were they expecting a performance of some sort? 

Yes they were. Unlike Europe/UK and Japan the US did not get any performance for that era until the Grammys and then Coachella. And people complained about that. There were also complaints about the album cover being weird/tacky, the song Hung Up being "too Gwen Stefani," "Why are the lyrics so simple," the video being "embarrassing," "'Push' should be the next single in the US." "Why don't we get proper music videos anymore." The list goes on.

5 hours ago, Vasili said:

I was not disappointed in the slightest, and neither were the rest of the clubgoers that night. The energy was intense.

I almost want to start a seperate thread detailing the experience, and hear other people's memories of that night.

I was in NYC at the time, at the end of a four month backpacking worldtrip. Lucky me with that timing, hey?

Its probably the people that live in their mothers basements and couldn't attend that complain the most

34 minutes ago, Brendanlovesu1 said:

I remember people saying that Hung Up was too Gwen Stefani because Stuart produced both. 

Well it was actually a remix he did of What You Waiting For. But the song also said "tick tock" in it and had a clock ticking. So yeah the remix had a lot of similarities to Hung Up.

3 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Well it was actually a remix he did of What You Waiting For. But the song also said "tick tock" in it and had a clock ticking. So yeah the remix had a lot of similarities to Hung Up.

It's weird now to think how much she seemed to borrow from Gwen during 2005-2008. But Gwen's first solo album campaign, style and music borrowed a lot from early Madonna so I guess she felt entitled to borrow back? I don't know.

Not only "Hung Up" was born from this Stuart's remix of "What You Waiting For?" but also, the clock tik-tok became an essential part of both "Hung Up" and later "4 Minutes". Also, the all dance concept of "Confessions" was similar to "Love Angel Music Baby" (Gwen kept calling it her "dance album" back then, though it wasn't entirely dance music).

Then, when Gwen moved into a more urban direction with Pharrell on her second solo album in 2006, Madonna was watching too... and did the same with "Hard Candy", working with Pharrell too on half of the album. Some parts like the "see my booty get down" on "Heartbeat" were quite Gwen:

(Iconic)

And let's not forget the whole throne thing and how Gwen started her "Harajuku Lovers Tour" in 2005:

Looking familiar?

madonna-madona.gif

It's great to see even Madonna was a Gwen stan back then. :cute:

53 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's weird now to think how much she seemed to borrow from Gwen during 2005-2008. But Gwen's first solo album campaign, style and music borrowed a lot from early Madonna so I guess she felt entitled to borrow back? I don't know.

Not only "Hung Up" was born from this Stuart's remix of "What You Waiting For?" but also, the clock tik-tok became an essential part of both "Hung Up" and later "4 Minutes". Also, the all dance concept of "Confessions" was similar to "Love Angel Music Baby" (Gwen kept calling it her "dance album" back then, though it wasn't entirely dance music).

Then, when Gwen moved into a more urban direction with Pharrell on her second solo album in 2006, Madonna was watching too... and did the same with "Hard Candy", working with Pharrell too on half of the album. Some parts like the "see my booty get down" on "Heartbeat" were quite Gwen:

(Iconic)

And let's not forget the whole throne thing and how Gwen started her "Harajuku Lovers Tour" in 2005:

Looking familiar?

madonna-madona.gif

I think the similarities with Hung Up might have been more Stuarts doing.

With the Pharrell/Timbaland thing that sound was everywhere and everyone had worked with them by the time Madonna did. So I'm not convinced Gwen was the main inspiration there.

And as for that throne thing I think the concept just lacks originality to start with. As did that whole tour/era. It's probably unfair to blame Gwen Stefani though :lol: 

18 hours ago, momosfantasy said:

It seems pretty sad when "fans" say stuff like this.  If you don't want to see her perform, don't watch it, it really is that simple!

Don't worry I won't be if it anything like her last performance, as a "fan" I actually can't take it. I find it more sad seeing someone capable of so much happy to let quality control fly out the window entirely. Did M even watch back the Maluma gig? She didn't repost a single video clip, she must've thought it was shit too, no way to retouch it better. To be a "fan" you don't have to blindly approve of everything she does. 

16 hours ago, androiduser said:

I'm not from NY but I was active on M forums at that time and I don't remember any disappointment

14 hours ago, Vasili said:

I was not disappointed in the slightest, and neither were the rest of the clubgoers that night. The energy was intense.

I almost want to start a seperate thread detailing the experience, and hear other people's memories of that night.

I was in NYC at the time, at the end of a four month backpacking worldtrip. Lucky me with that timing, hey?

8 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Yes they were. Unlike Europe/UK and Japan the US did not get any performance for that era until the Grammys and then Coachella. And people complained about that. There were also complaints about the album cover being weird/tacky, the song Hung Up being "too Gwen Stefani," "Why are the lyrics so simple," the video being "embarrassing," "'Push' should be the next single in the US." "Why don't we get proper music videos anymore." The list goes on.

So interesting to get these different responses. Thanks!

Now that you mention it, it is nuts that those were the only 2 promo performances in the US and only one was televised (yes one was streamed but, different world even then). I remember the reaction of the crowd at Roxy & Missaphes and the general press were all ecstatic. But wasn't active on any fan boards, so I never saw the opinions in real time.

My only gripe about the Hung Up video was I wanted more of her in it! She's electric in ever scene we see her. I was disappointed with the David Lachapelle falling out. Wanted him to do an M video for years and with that song, he would have done something incredible.

In a perfect world, M would have been a guest on Love,Angel, Music, Baby. I would argue that another artist lifted much more from that record and The Sweet Escape.... but the girls couldn't help it. Gwen was everything during those years. That Stuart Dub of "What You Waiting For?" (which is still amazing) reminded me of Stevie Nick's "Stand Back". It always comes back to some legendary blonde.

1 hour ago, luluthecat said:

Don't worry I won't be if it anything like her last performance, as a "fan" I actually can't take it. I find it more sad seeing someone capable of so much happy to let quality control fly out the window entirely. Did M even watch back the Maluma gig? She didn't repost a single video clip, she must've thought it was shit too, no way to retouch it better. To be a "fan" you don't have to blindly approve of everything she does. 

Of course you don't have to approve of everything she does, but when a person actively hopes that the artist they follow doesn't perform at an event, then I think the quotation marks around "fan" are warranted.

10 hours ago, Prayer said:

(Iconic)

Looking familiar?

madonna-madona.gif

I also immediately thought of Gwen's "Hollaback girl" with the cheerleader theme and chant of "Give me all your luvin".

2 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

Love Gwen but everything on her LAMB screamed more Madonna that what Madonna did later screamed Gwen. 

if she wasn't blond, the Madonna connection wouldn't even be mentioned... please find lyrics, melodies, production etc that sound so similar to Madonna? Whereas you can find the similarities in Madonna's work with the same producers (because they actually produced the music for both ladies themselves, the co-production credit being an ego trip)

7 minutes ago, androiduser said:

if she wasn't blond, the Madonna connection wouldn't even be mentioned... please find lyrics, melodies, production etc that sound so similar to Madonna? Whereas you can find the similarities in Madonna's work with the same producers (because they actually produced the music for both ladies themselves, the co-production credit being an ego trip)

The whole attitude was very Madonna, Gwen herself said that she was inspired by her. Aside from the tick tock I really don’t find nothing in what Madonna did after that sounds like Gwen. Actually, Cool is very Madonna as a song. And let’s not forget No Doubt worked with Orbit AFTER Madonna and that Madonna did r&b and hip hop way before Gwen did. Madonna said over and over she wanted to work with Timbaland and Pharell because she was always listening to Justin, Nelly Furtado and Britney’’s music. Saying she worked with Pharell because  Gwen did it is just a weak theory. 

• Enrico unfeatured this topic