Madonna to Perform at Pride 2022

Fabiolous

20 minutes ago, scion said:

Yeah, except 99% of her output is absolutely quality… like phenomenal songwriting and incredible composition. The songs with the clunky lyrics are very very much self aware, and Big Wheel almost feels like she’s referencing the societal zeitgeist in light parody. Brilliant stuff.

Tori and Madonna just have a different writing style. It doesn’t mean one is more  intelligent than the other. Tori tends to write more esoteric lyrics especially later in her career, whereas Madonna is more straightforward, universal and thus relatable.  Can you really explain what all of Tori’s lyrics are about? For awhile Tori’s lyrics were so odd and esoteric that I had no idea what she was talking about and this couldn’t connect with them. Just because you don’t know what something means doesn’t make it deep and intelligent. Sometimes I think she just wrote random words that she herself didn’t even know what they meant. I would say it’s a lot harder to write universal lyrics that people connect with. 
Tori’s last album Ocean to Ocean was her best in years in no small part to the fact that she abandoned the esoteric style and wrote direct personal lyrics about her mother’s death and her struggle with depression during lockdown. 

It isn’t just the lyrics though, it’s the overall composition of the songs, the production that binds them. Of course I can’t tell you what every lyrics of hers is intended to convey, but I can certainly form my own interpretations of all her songs!

I agree Ocean to Ocean was terrific as was the tour, although I won’t write off her last album either, Reindeer King for me is peak Tori. 

I know Madonna still has it in her somewhere to put on a great show, its just hard to be optimistic after dealing with what her live performances have been in recent years. I think that one issue has been the fact that because her vocals have never been that strong (especially lately) she feels she needs to show off loads of grueling dance choreography that is impossible for her to do anymore or requires more  rehearsal than she can put in. Personally I would love nothing more than to see her do some kind of stripped down show. I guess all we can do is keep hoping against hope this will not be another train wreck:lol:

I'm sick and tired of the worry. Who cares if she is a trainwreck. Last years pride was super fun and unexpected and looks better today than it did then. She's having fun and it's not 1985 anymore so I'm going to enjoy her performance and appreciate that she is even there AND doing her classics none the less.

Bring it Madonna you crazy bitch with your super fun new remix cds and ever lasting relevance.

1 hour ago, Lucky90210 said:

I'm sick and tired of the worry. Who cares if she is a trainwreck. Last years pride was super fun and unexpected and looks better today than it did then. She's having fun and it's not 1985 anymore so I'm going to enjoy her performance and appreciate that she is even there AND doing her classics none the less.

Bring it Madonna you crazy bitch with your super fun new remix cds and ever lasting relevance.

I've embraced the trainwreck, I am expecting her to be dreadful and therefore will not be disappointed. She's just having fun so let's laugh along with her. Your queen is slain.

3 hours ago, scion said:

Yeah, except 99% of her output is absolutely quality… like phenomenal songwriting and incredible composition. The songs with the clunky lyrics are very very much self aware, and Big Wheel almost feels like she’s referencing the societal zeitgeist in light parody. Brilliant stuff.

I agree the majority of Tori's output is great - I love Tori, but using one woman to put down another is... reductive. And Tori does have some bad lyrics and songs in her catalogue. Even Kate Bush does. 

25 minutes ago, adirondak said:

I agree the majority of Tori's output is great - I love Tori, but using one woman to put down another is... reductive. And Tori does have some bad lyrics and songs in her catalogue. Even Kate Bush does. 

Nobody is putting anyone down. 

I’m merely giving an example of how Madame X isn’t hardly ‘intelligent’ music, in any context.

There's now a contest for tickets to the event tomorrow by WOW, but really to understand the rules (having a POV Avatar) etc etc is beyond complicated and beyond my understanding of how NFT/crypto works....VERY frustrating that she's been advertising this as a "Pride" event, when in reality is just a damn party to celebrate her involvement within this very niche organization. I. give. up.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic