Julia Garner Offered Madonna Role in Universal Biopic

proxy

“Inventing Anna” actress Julia Garner has been offered the role of Madonna in a forthcoming biopic about the pop icon, sources familiar with the project told Variety.

Garner has emerged the favorite from over a dozen candidates, one insider added, and has for months been speculated as a frontrunner for the part — a performance Madonna will shepherd herself as director.

Garner’s team is considering and expected to accept the offer, said another source.

Oprah So What Is The Truth GIF

2 hours ago, Askeroff said:

“Inventing Anna” actress Julia Garner has been offered the role of Madonna in a forthcoming biopic about the pop icon, sources familiar with the project told Variety.

Garner has emerged the favorite from over a dozen candidates, one insider added, and has for months been speculated as a frontrunner for the part — a performance Madonna will shepherd herself as director.

Garner’s team is considering and expected to accept the offer, said another source.

Oprah So What Is The Truth GIF

The truth is Team Madonna/Universal has decided Julia Garner is the one and officially offered her the part, and now the ball is in Team Julia court and she has to accept it formally.

10 hours ago, androiduser said:

Madonna will also have big shoes to fill directing an accomplished actress with a movie career bigger than hers, let's get real here

W.E. might not have been the masterpiece Madonna was hoping for but she got great performances out of its cast so I wouldn't worry about that. 

It's funny cause this week I've been watching Julia in the first season of Ozark for the first time and although I really like her, I couldn't picture her as M, while Amanda Seyfried often reminded me of M when I watched The Dropout last month. But Ozark 1 was more than 4 years ago; I want to check her performance in Inventing Anna.

19 minutes ago, FallingInLove said:

I think she looks absolutely NOTHING like M. The Italian connection is missing completely. (There's a resemblance to Bubble of AbFab to be honest...) 

But I don't know her at all, maybe she's an impressive actress and she can convince as M.  Hope so!

Thank you ! I have been saying this since the beginning. A lot of people don't get that if Madonna has that unique beauty and charisma in her face is ALSO because she is italian, and while she dyes her hair blond and stay out of the sun, she has those mediterranean faetures in her face, and mixed with the blond and pale skin it gives her that unique and stunning beauty. That girl, Julia Garner, is probably a great actress and if she got the role then great for her, she would be crazy to refuse it, but M and her team should have cast unknown girls all around the country and find a raw jewel, a girl who has that unique charisma, just like what Jean Jacques Beineix did for his classic and incredibly brilliant movie "37°2 le matin", he noticed the incredible Beatrice Dalle in the streets, the girl had just done a few pictures for a magsine before but was an absolute unknow girl who was hanging with the bad kids in the streets and in the subway all day long. Madonna needed that kind of uniqueness and raw talent. She should have stayed away from the Hollywood celebrities for her role. I wish good luck to Julia though.

19 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

Thank you ! I have been saying this since the beginning. A lot of people don't get that if Madonna has that unique beauty and charisma in her face is ALSO because she is italian, and while she dyes her hair blond and stay out of the sun, she has those mediterranean faetures in her face, and mixed with the blond and pale skin it gives her that unique and stunning beauty. That girl, Julia Garner, is probably a great actress and if she got the role then great for her, she would be crazy to refuse it, but M and her team should have cast unknown girls all around the country and find a raw jewel, a girl who has that unique charisma, just like what Jean Jacques Beineix did for his classic and incredibly brilliant movie "37°2 le matin", he noticed the incredible Beatrice Dalle in the streets, the girl had just done a few pictures for a magsine before but was an absolute unknow girl who was hanging with the bad kids in the streets and in the subway all day long. Madonna needed that kind of uniqueness and raw talent. She should have stayed away from the Hollywood celebrities for her role. I wish good luck to Julia though.

Julia is well known and respected between film and series lovers and critics, but it's not mainstream enough yet, for a lot of people she will be a new face. If the Madonna role is stunning it will be a platform into another kind of fame and level for her. It could be the role of her life, literally.

I totally trust Madonna and the casting team after all the stories about the casting camps and such. This is not an independent movie, Universal Pictures is behind it and lots of time and effort were put into the casting process. If she's the one it means she's the best for the role, simple as that. Let's wait and let them work.

41 minutes ago, Enrico said:

It's funny cause this week I've been watching Julia in the first season of Ozark for the first time and although I really like her, I couldn't picture her as M, while Amanda Seyfried often reminded me of M when I watched The Dropout last month. But Ozark 1 was more than 4 years ago; I want to check her performance in Inventing Anna.

Julia was only 21 when she filmed the first season of Ozark. Her visible development as an actress over the 4 seasons is incredible to watch, she's got real grit. When you then watch Inventing Anna, it's a real head spin to see her as something completely different.

4 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

To me it means she's the best among the girls they have cast, and i believe they didn't cast enough girls or at least not in the right places. This is my opinion. 

A casting process that's been going on during MONTHS and with boot camps of 11-hour working days but let's assume they didn't cast "enough girls" or "in the right places"? I mean.

https://extratv.com/2022/03/05/madonna-boot-camp-all-the-actresses-rumored-to-play-the-queen-of-pop/

https://nypost.com/2022/03/03/actresses-up-for-madonna-biopic-may-do-grueling-boot-camp/

Of course you can have your own opinion, but at least to me it doesn't look like a rushed or limited decision at all.

1 minute ago, Bjonkers said:

Julia was only 21 when she filmed the first season of Ozark. Her visible development as an actress over the 4 seasons is incredible to watch, she's got real grit. When you then watch Inventing Anna, it's a real head spin to see her as something completely different.

She's probably the brilliant actress eveyone in the forum seems to claim, i do not doubt that, but she hasn't got the physical features at all, wich is as important as the acting skills in my opinion for a biopic. Madonna was stunning when she was younger (she still is very beautiful) and that is not a detail imo, this is also part pf what makes her so famous, she had that magnetic beauty, big eyes, strong eyebrows, etc... That actress, as brilliant as she is has absolutely nothing that looks like Madonna.

3 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

She's probably the brilliant actress eveyone in the forum seems to claim, i do not doubt that, but she hasn't got the physical features at all, wich is as important as the acting skills in my opinion for a biopic. Madonna was stunning when she was younger (she still is very beautiful) and that is not a detail imo, this is also part pf what makes her so famous, she had that magnetic beauty, big eyes, strong eyebrows, etc... That actress, as brilliant as she is has absolutely nothing that looks like Madonna.

But you didn't even see her yet in character. She's an actress, you know.

6 minutes ago, Prayer said:

A casting process that's been going on during MONTHS and with boot camps of 11-hour working days but let's assume they didn't cast "enough girls" or "in the right places"? I mean.

https://extratv.com/2022/03/05/madonna-boot-camp-all-the-actresses-rumored-to-play-the-queen-of-pop/

https://nypost.com/2022/03/03/actresses-up-for-madonna-biopic-may-do-grueling-boot-camp/

Of course you can have your own opinion, but at least to me it doesn't look like a rushed or limited decision at all.

Well you can post as much links as you want, even ones saying they cast girls for 36 years all over the world and even outter space, if the best result they can come with is Julia Garner then for me they obviously didn't cast enough girls. I do not say this a bad bad choice, but they could find someone way better for the role. Madonna is not that regular blond american girl that any blond actress with pale skin can play. She's not Britney Spears.

3 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

Well you can post as much links as you want, even ones saying they cast girls for 36 years all over the world and even outter space, if the best result they can come with is Julia Garner then for me they obviously didn't cast enough girls. I do not say this a bad bad choice, but they could find someone way better for the role. Madonna is not that regular blond american girl that any blond actress with pale slin can play. She's not Britney Spears.

I'm posting proof. You're posting prejudices and opinions even though you have the proof of a grueling audition process in front of your eyes.

But hey, of course is your opinion and you're free to believe and express that - as well as the others are free to express if we think you're wrong, too. :cute: Time will tell, anyway!

Just now, Prayer said:

I'm posting proof. You're posting prejudices and opinions even though you have the proof of a grueling audition process in front of your eyes.

But hey, of course is your opinion and you're free to believe and express that - as well as the others are free to express if we think you're wrong, too. :cute:

Absolutely, and i hope you are right and i am wrong cause i really want to love the biopic.

People in here clearly don’t understand the difference between a great actor (and Julia is a great actor) and an impersonator. This is not a look alike contest, nobody in this world looks just like Madonna expect Madonna (and lately..ok I stop here lol). 
Angela Basset doesn’t look like Tina Turner for example, Olivia Colmar doesn’t look like The Queen etc.

Why don’t we all wait before judging? Also this news is clearly a pr move, she does have the part and everybody is already taking about it. 

49 minutes ago, cosmic_system said:

People in here clearly don’t understand the difference between a great actor (and Julia is a great actor) and an impersonator. This is not a look alike contest, nobody in this world looks just like Madonna expect Madonna (and lately..ok I stop here lol). 
Angela Basset doesn’t look like Tina Turner for example, Olivia Colmar doesn’t look like The Queen etc.

Why don’t we all wait before judging? Also this news is clearly a pr move, she does have the part and everybody is already taking about it. 

No one here has ever said the girl needs to be an impersonator and doesn't have to be a good actress. This is absolutely reductiive to say so. What i say, and a few other members too, is that other than the acting skills (which is absolutely an important factor), the person has to have at least some physical features similar to the star she portrays and most of all emanates something similar, and Julia Garner has nothing similar to Madonna, nor doesn't emanates anything Madonna at all in my opinion. Of course no one is 100% similar to another person, i guess anyone knows it.