Celebration 2009 vs. 2022 - Re-evaluating M's most divisive compilation

Yep, "Miles Away" was a big hit in Japan in 2008, thanks a TV series, so it was included. Also, there's a reason why "Give It 2 Me" and "Deeper And Deeper" were not included: to give fans a reason to buy the parent albums or the other compilation where it's included, "GHV2", with "Deeper And Deeper". 

She's always done that with every compilation, not giving fans everything on one place and leaving certain tracks out to make sure the back catalogue will sell well too. Smart.

Now with digital it doesn't matter anymore, but in the age of physical you needed to buy the original album or compilation for some tracks and that meant more money for Warner and her.

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Yep, "Miles Away" was a big hit in Japan in 2008, thanks a TV series, so it was included. Also, there's a reason why "Give It 2 Me" and "Deeper And Deeper" were not included: to give fans a reason to buy the parent albums or the other compilation where it's included, "GHV2", with "Deeper And Deeper". 

She's always done that with every compilation, not giving fans everything on one place and leaving certain tracks out to make sure the back catalogue will sell well too. Smart.

Now with digital it doesn't matter anymore, but in the age of physical you needed to buy the original album or compilation for some tracks and that meant more money for Warner and her.

Ah! Very good point indeed about being selective about what’s included for the sake of giving reasons to revisit the back catalogue.

• 3 weeks later...

I really liked the non-chronological track-listing for Celebration. When an artist has such a long pop career it's quite effective to mix up the old and the new so that no single era is favoured. Pet Shop Boys did something similar on PopArt and it was a refreshing change from the linear Old to New that is usual for a singles compilation.

The mastering was sodding awful though.

4 minutes ago, MattyMads said:

I felt robbed lol over the bonus scenes we were supposed to get for Justify my love that never happened😭

maybe the censored tits were the bonus footage? 

What were they trying to do with that information? :ay:

• 1 month later...