Rufus Wainwright on being ignored by Madonna

Gutten

I love Rufus but in all fairness, he said something mean about her after seeing the DWT... like she was humourless.

And I wonder if he's talking about Marius De Vries

https://attitude.co.uk/article/rufus-wainwright-on-pride-parenthood-and-being-ignored-by-madonna-she-was-quite-mean-to-me-1/27210/?fbclid=IwAR3mendHn4MA2GNv5BnlPLVvhRAvy5WVxF7F2S7gdEUHKjRgtNZ6CtQ0dpI

Have you met Madonna?

[Groans] Um… Look, I’m fascinated by Madonna, as is the universe. I’ve had evenings with her. Nothing extensive, but little run-ins with her over the years, and she’s never been particularly… I’m on a weird part of her radar! I’m not quite a target, but I’m not a refuge either. Whatever. We’ve never had a great thing. But I admire her tenacity, and some of her songs are great. But she’s been quite mean to me a couple of times. But it’s like, join the list.

What happened?!

With her, as with certain other celebrities of that magnitude, they have a real tunnel vision. At intimate things she just doesn’t acknowledge me, doesn’t really see me. There was one little incident where she may have held something against me slightly, because I worked with someone who used to work for her, and they ended up leaving her: some political thing. But [people like her] have these blinders on, so they don’t see context. I was ignored by her at a very small event where there were only a few people. It was just bizarre, and very rude in general. I’m not like that. You acknowledge everybody in the room, a little bit.

I mean:

Rufus Wainwright: 'Miley and Madonna was one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/06/rufus-wainwright-interview-30-minutes-with

If he talks about her in public like this imagine how he must be in private.

Maybe she'd heard things like this about him and didn't even care to give him time - and rightfully so.

Honestly the Eltons of the world trying to get her attention by dissing her and then asking for forgiveness... it's so tiring now. Just grow up.

2 minutes ago, Prayer said:

I mean:

Rufus Wainwright: 'Miley and Madonna was one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/aug/06/rufus-wainwright-interview-30-minutes-with

If he talks about her in public like this imagine how he must be in private.

Maybe she'd heard things like this about him and didn't even care to give him time - and rightfully so.

Lol where were you when that performance happened? It wasn’t an instant smash with fans when it happened

21 minutes ago, Gutten said:

I love Rufus but in all fairness, he said something mean about her after seeing the DWT... like she was humourless.

what did he say back then? source?

in this interview, the things he said about madonna sound very madonna-ish, but sometimes people just don’t vibe together. that’s life. no need to hold grudges.

5 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Lol where were you when that performance happened? It wasn’t an instant smash with fans when it happened

Even if it wasn't the best performance in the world, I think it's totally unprofessional to talk like that about another artist, especially if you've shared or know you'll get to share "intimate moments" with that person. Either you're being an a*****e or you're trying to get her attention if you do that, in my opinion.

But of course it's just my point of view. :cute:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2006/nov/12/popandrock.rufuswainwright

4. Madonna

There’s a dark force at work here - she subverts everything for her own gain. I went to see her London show and it was all so dour and humourless. She surpasses even Joan Crawford in terms of megalomania. Which makes her a kind of dark gay icon in itself.

5. Kylie Minogue

I love Kylie, she’s the anti-Madonna. Self-knowledge is a truly beautiful thing and Kylie knows herself inside out. She is what she is and there is no attempt to make quasi-intellectual statements to substantiate it. She is the gay shorthand for joy.

---

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/06/24/style/out-and-proud-but-hardly-pectorally-correct.html

He even dislikes the gay icon Madonna.

Meet Rufus Wainwright, a different kind of gay poster boy.

''Madonna created a monster that sucks up souls,'' he was saying last week in the lobby of the Chelsea Hotel, where he lived for six months in 1999 while writing the songs on his new CD. ''There was a time when singers were more into enlightening audiences than telling them what to wear and how to dance.''

---

Gee, I do wonder why M keeps ignoring him... :)

i saw rufus once at a venue i worked at and he sang a

cute song

about cigarettes and chocolate milk.

madonna on the other hand has 50 number ones on the dance chart .....

i'm sure she was horrible to him and he said horrible things about her so 🤷  that's how it must be in "Hollywood " in "hollywood" in "hollywood"

In my experience being born and raised in NYC, a lot of the too cool for school/ punk/ "downtown" art gays have always talked shit about M. I found it kind of weird at first. I'm sure she can be a handful, no doubt. But having dealt with some of them myself, they aren't much different than what they claim her to be, so....

She needs to learn that sometimes the best way to deal with criticism is to disarm it with class and poise. If she did not like things he said about her than ignoring him at events is lowering herself to his level by acknowledging that it bothered her is the worst possible thing to do, reminds of the recent 50 Cent drama. Madonna has never taken well to criticism at all because it wounds her massive ego, she rarely picks fights with people but usually handles them poorly once they are thrust upon her.

It's funny When I read this, I thought of one man in my head and thought it is Rufus winewright. But after I googled this person's name, I realized that it was Mika, not him, who I thought of. So basically he is nobody. I mean.. he had 5 second fame for sure but now he is bitter old nobody.

3 minutes ago, MadameX said:

It's funny When I read this, I thought of one man in my head and thought it is Rufus winewright. But after I googled this person's name, I realized that it was Mika, not him, who I thought of. So basically he is nobody. I mean.. he had 5 second fame for sure but now he is bitter old nobody.

WOAH Jesus the whole time I was thinking of Mika reading this thread!! Haha so weird

Ha. Rufus isn’t a pop artist. I’m not even a fan of his but if you know about music beyond the pop charts, you’d appreciate his musicality and the respect and credibility he’s maintained as an artist over the years.

10 minutes ago, Andymad said:

WOAH Jesus the whole time I was thinking of Mika reading this thread!! Haha so weird

haha I'm glad I'm not the only one!! When I searched his name on Google, I was confused by his recent aging photo. And thought that 'Who the hell is this grandfather?' So I have to searched his 10 years ago old music video again on YouTube and then finally I recognized him. "Oh... Was this him?'' 

5 minutes ago, Vasili said:

Ha. Rufus isn’t a pop artist. I’m not even a fan of his but if you know about music beyond the pop charts, you’d appreciate his musicality and the respect and credibility he’s maintained as an artist over the years.

The funny thing is I used to be even a fan of him. 

3 hours ago, Prayer said:

Even if it wasn't the best performance in the world, I think it's totally unprofessional to talk like that about another artist, especially if you've shared or know you'll get to share "intimate moments" with that person. Either you're being an a*****e or you're trying to get her attention if you do that, in my opinion.

But of course it's just my point of view. :cute:

So Madonna was wrong to comment on Sindead O’Conner’s performance back in 93?