Madonna wanted to control her wardrobe on Will & Grace

Madonna refused to wear the costumes provided for her when she taped an episode of Will & Grace back in 2003, according to executive producer Gary Janetti.

The Queen of Pop appeared on Season 5 of the hit show as part of the promotional campaign for her album American Life. The episode, which drew almost 18 million viewers, was titled  “Dolls and Dolls.” In it, Madonna played Liz, Karen’s (Megan Mullally) messy roommate.

Speaking to the “Behind the Velvet Rope with David Yontef” podcast, Janetti recalls: “[She’s] like an executive secretary, the kind of woman who wears her sneakers on the subway and carries her shoes in her bag and goes to a happy hour after work and thinks she’s kind of like, you know, a big deal in her tiny office.”

“So she was supposed to wear, you know, Anne Klein II suits with sneakers and be the kind of woman you’d see on the subway. And Madonna as that is very funny … but Madonna didn’t want to wear any of those clothes.”

Madonna… being difficult… about her wardrobe?? We don’t believe it for a second!

Janetti goes on to say that the singer, who was “at the height of her fame” at the time, brought her own wardrobe and glam team to set.

The producer adds that he wasn’t sure if she had “a particularly good sense of humor” and so he ultimately concluded that asking her to wear her character’s pre-selected wardrobe “wasn’t a conversation that was going to happen.”

“So, she looked fabulous,” he says, “but as a result, it was about 50 percent less funny than it should have been.”

“We even had jokes we had to change because of what Karen said — maybe based on what she was wearing — [because it] didn’t make sense anymore,” Janetti continues. “I mean, she looked like Madonna. She looked like a rich, fabulous celebrity, which wasn’t what the character was.”

“But,” he adds, “she was game when she was on the show, and she was also funny.”

In 2017, while promoting the Will & Grace reboot, Mullally told Jimmy Kimmel that Madonna was easy to work with despite being a little, um, disinterested in her co-stars.

“Madonna was very cool,” she recalled. “I thought she was really nice and really present. She worked really hard and she wasn’t a prima donna.”

“But,” she added, “she didn’t necessarily know our real names in real life because why should she, who cares? Some of the cast were really offended, like, ‘She doesn’t even know my name!’ and I was like, ‘Who cares? Madonna’s doing our show! It doesn’t matter.’”

When asked by Kimmell whether Madonna would be like, “Hi Will, Hi Grace”, Mullally replied: “Yeah, kinda, yeah, yeah, yeah. But in a nice way. She doesn’t need to know our names, for crying out loud. She’s doing our show! Who cares?”

In 2006, Entertainment Weekly ranked Madonna’s guest spot as their number ten most memorable guest appearance on Will & Grace.

https://www.queerty.com/producer-spills-tea-madonnas-diva-antics-set-will-grace-20220622

he ultimately concluded that asking her to wear her character’s pre-selected wardrobe “wasn’t a conversation that was going to happen.”

She probably would have insisted and gotten her own way HAD SHE BEEN ASKED. But the fact that he admits he didn't even ask is super funny to me. Like you don't get to bitch about someone not doing what you want when you didn't even ask.

2 hours ago, Enrico said:

For those of you who want to see it again and imagine Liz with suits and sneakers:

Must have forgotten my poof-pills that season.
She is playing a version of herself.
Megan Mullally took an afterthought part and acted the other two off the screen.

I've a powder blue hoodie too.
Doesn't fit any more.
:laughing:

5 hours ago, Andreo said:

I found this hilarious and couldn't stop laughing 😂

I don't get how suits and sneakers would have made this better tho??? 

Because it implies a specific American woman that all Americans would immediately know and that woman is the complete opposite of what Madonna is. 

Also, business women who wear sneakers while walking to work and then change to heels when they arrive at work is just funny itself. It’s like partial commitment to a look. A place in time when heels were still the expected from women, which seems like a leftover expectation from the past, but women were more relaxed with letting the facade down. 

It’s also kinda like the drunk girls on Saturday night who are walking around barefoot outside on piss filled streets after dancing all night in heels. 

good, so now we know who insisted on the awful wig...

the number one problem with Madonna and acting is that she never wanted to understand that:

a) the character is a completely different person

b) her status in the music industry doesn't carry the same weight in the movie industry

c) actors are hired to present the director's vision, not the other way around

On 6/24/2022 at 1:22 AM, androiduser said:

good, so now we know who insisted on the awful wig...

the number one problem with Madonna and acting is that she never wanted to understand that:

a) the character is a completely different person

b) her status in the music industry doesn't carry the same weight in the movie industry

c) actors are hired to present the director's vision, not the other way around

That´s so right: I remember her changing the next best things character from a swimings teacher to a yoga teacher, cause she did not wanted to be on pool hours and hours. Obviously she was doing yoga at that time as hell and she could have, and had, her moment of wow in the movie with that yoga poses.

So, her narcisism came and one more time, the character was mixed with her own persona.