MEGARATE: MDNA era [Results Show - Recap on first page]

Curtains

Voted! Not a joyous experience rating this album I have to say, it’s up there with Hard Candy for my most loathed M album but I think this one at least has a few songs I still listen to…. Ok maybe just two.  Also not a nice experience first hearing this after the hard candy mess.

What was she thinking. 

3 hours ago, GhostOrchid said:

I know we can base our ratings on a version of a song we prefer, but we should specify whether Give Me All Your Luvin' is the Original or Party Rock version?

For me it could be either a 0 or a 10 :confused:

You actually don't need to specify for which version you vote. Some clearly specified in earlier megarates rating the remixes because that's their favorite versions of the songs (although those were the versions mostly used on radios to be fair, like the Miami Mix of Don't Cry for Me, Fever (Edit One) or Shep's version of Express Yourself).

Voted!  :Madonna040:

I hate to admit that today this album sounds as lifeless and forced as it did the first time I heard it, with a few honorable exceptions. Clearly she had other things on her mind and the label people should have just let her finish her movie first. Luckily, she redeemed herself with the tour which is one of her best!

Voted!

Man, this album seems so paint-by-numbers, but I do love a chunk of the songs, and the tour was top tier!

I do hate that this is the first album to start the trend of extended versions. I feel like everything moving forward has “too much” and isn’t as fully formed as a project. 

Who would say that I would feel so much expectation for the results of this survey considering that we are talking about Madonna's worst album, but the anxiety to know if my favorite song Falling Free will be the winner is what consumes me daily. Madonna should have released it as a single, so at least this era would have had some quality and it wouldn't be so bad after all. Silly, nasty and boring videos (in that order) were what characterized this era and the worst thing was that no ballads were released as singles that could have saved the album. Falling Free was crying out to be released as a single but unfortunately it was never taken into account. Not even on tour. A shame. But I trust that in the future we will have the fortune to listen to this song live and not only this ballad but many others that have gone unnoticed throughout her career and who knows, a tour whose setlist is exclusively ballads would not be a bad idea .

voted! Listening to the album after quite a long time was a very interesting experience. I had a hard time finishing the listen. And it is a pity because MDNA tour is one of my faves, was so espectacular to watch live (on video...that is another subject lol)

I always felt the album was too claustrophobic production wise, too many effects in the voice, no space to breath in most of the tracks and messy in general. And this listen pretty much confirms it. 

She did her thing (the vocals) and let others do their thing and it seems like the potential is there at moments but never really materialises.

Because some songs are actually quite great, or could be, but there are too many cooks in the (production) kitchen and no clear menu.

I am surprised to say this, cause I never paid deep attention to it, but my highlight is "I don't give a", because the lyrical content and the production and vocal performance are all aligned in a similar intention, and the arrangement makes sense within that message. Only on this track i "believe" her.

The rest of the album, her voice is there but the soul not. (And this will be controversial...but falling free doesn't cut the mustard for me. The music production isn't up to the par with the potential of the lyrics and melodic line). 

The album has potential but needs just one producer and one sound engineer, not a whole team of people adding things for no reason. Hard candy's production is at least more intentional in trying to make hits.

The production of MDNA is pure decoration. My 2 cents... 

Edited by jesus (see edit history)

voted!

it was kind of a surprising outcome to see how it has aged. It's a weird record, because for sure not one of my favorites by far it still has quite a few really fantastic songs on it. The main problem is what I also have with RH is that the mixing and mastering (and really mostly the EQ) is so far off it makes parts almost unlistenable. Take falling free, which I think is among her most beautiful and haunting songs/arrangements, but her voice and all the acoustics are filtered and sound hollow, as if all the midrange was filtered out, as if she is singing to a track they are playing next door. For the re-issues I would actually really hope that they can redeem some of the mess they created here and on RH (even though Mike Dean is also responsible for filtering WAOM into oblivion...) Back to MDNA, it's funny but none of it's three singles are in my top 5, even though GMAYL made a nice comeback for me

• Curtains changed the title to MEGARATE: MDNA era [Results Show - Recap on first page]
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic