Three questions for you about Madonna.

Aiwa08

Just for curiosity, I have three questions for you:

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music? Mine was Burning Up (7'' Version) on 1983. But it wasn't until 1987 that I found out it was a Madonna song.

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? I liked Burning Up, Into the Groove and Material girl too much. But the first time I really loved a Madonna's song was "Live To Tell" (Video-Clip) on 1986. After that I loved "Open Your Heart", "La Isla Bonita", "Where's the Party (Remix) and "Who's That Girl".

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? Express Yourself (Video-clip). The remix and the video hit my head on 1989 and until today I'm a fan (with ups and downs through the years).

2 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music? Mine was Burning Up (7'' Version) on 1983. But it wasn't until 1987 that I found out it was a Madonna song.

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? I liked Burning Up, Into the Groove and Material girl too much. But the first time I really loved a Madonna's song was "Live To Tell" (Video-Clip) on 1986. After that I loved "Open Your Heart", "La Isla Bonita", "Where's the Party (Remix) and "Who's That Girl".

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? Express Yourself (Video-clip). The remix and the video hit my head on 1989 and until today I'm a fan (with ups and downs through the years).

I really envy you "original" fans! You got to experience her first imperial phase (or phases!).

Me:

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music? Probably some parody on Spanish TV when I was very little. I remember the cone bra thing. But my first proper conscious contact with Madonna's music was probably "Verás" ("You'll See" in Spanish) on the radio! I was so... I don't know, mesmerized by that voice.

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? Around 1995/1996, with the whole "Verás"/"You'll See" and "Evita" years. I remember respecting her a lot for doing "Evita" (and I didn't even know s**t about anything back then haha).

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? Like many others, "Frozen" and the "Ray Of Light" album. But I didn't buy the album until the third single and video (in Europe), "Drowned World/Substitute For Love". I was SO amazed that I finally got the cassette (hehe) in Summer 1998 and I will never forget listening to the whole album for the first time with my headphones, on a hot Summer night. The rest is history!

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music? 
Mine was a megamix of holiday, Lucky star, into the groove, Like a virgin at my sister's annual dance contest in 1985.

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? 
Start with this megamix and specially into the groove and holiday. I went on the record store with my mom (I was only 11) the week after I hear this megamix and I bought the First Album and like a virgin. When I saw the lp cover, I fell in love in the minute.

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan?
The first video I saw was Burning up. What a choc. And not long after I saw Material Girl at the cinema juste before DSS projection. I was already a fan, but after Material and DSS, I knew it was for life ! I was blown away. what a wonderful souvenir

19 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

1) I guess I heard her on the radio 1984-1985. Not impressed. She sounded silly.

2) Swedish Television broadcasted an edited version of The Virgin Tour in early 1986 and after that I was hooked.
A girl in my class had The First Album and let me borrow it, and I thought Burning Up was the coolest song ever.

3) Two songs: The live version of Gambler, and the Silver Screen Mix of Causing A Commotion. 
So yeah, Madonna's been my number one favorite for 35 years. :)

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

1. When I was a kid when we used to have that bootleg "The Girlie Show VCD" that my father used to have. I was very annoyed at it when they played it in a loud volume and it bothers my sleep when I was a kid. I can't remember if that was Sydney or Fukuoka, I bet that was a Sydney bootleg. We sold that anyway during 2011 when we used to have a small buy-and-sell business.

2. When I was a kid, Crazy For You has always been playing on the radio, and I've been hearing that it's Madonna who sang that song. I alos encountered Into The Groove when I was a kid and I love it. At first, I thought that was Debbie Gibson who sang the song, I was surprised when I discovered later on that it was her. Well, I used to be a hater of her, and I think it is because of the misconception that people around me is telling about her, that made me disgust about her before, until I listen to Like A Prayer album.

3. For song, I think Oh Father - this song made me realized that she's a human like us. For Music Video, I think Like A Prayer. Something on that Music Video that made me continue to admire her and her music, adding that Blond Ambition Tour Yokohama that I've watched during 2018. Then the stanning continues....

Edit: Now you know why I'm so obsessed with Blond Ambition Tour and everything about Like A Prayer era 1989 - 1991 :laughing:

I knew Holiday but I did'nt linked it to any artist in particular but that was the first track I can remember.

With Like A Virgin and Material Girl (videos) I started to get into the music and being fascinated and wanting to know more.

True Blue  (Open Your Heart Video !) got me in and with Like a Prayer I was a fan already.

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

1. First contact for me was in 2008 when she releaaed 4 Minutes single, didn't impress me much but I liked her voice.

2. I think it was when I watched her show when she was promoting Hard Candy album, at the Roseland Ballroom in New York City in 2008. I loved her realistic point of view and how she was talking to the audience, her attitude, THE BODY, her look, her face was just so perfect to me, tone of her voice was stuck in my head for days.

3. I started being a fan after I saw Sticky and Sweet Tour and the Confessions Tour. I was like, wow this is something what I've been missing my whole life (lol, I was 14 at the time) and then I started discovering her music and art more and deeper, with her music and I learned English, started working out, and discovered my talent for dancing. So thank you miss Madonna. 😁

1) What was your first contact with madonna's music? Into the groove and Papa don't preach, I like them a lot but at the time I didn't know it was Madonna.

2) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? In June 1987 I met a girl who had the True Blue k7, I copied Papa don't preach and Open your heart on a tape I had. A few days later I bought True Blue and Like a virgin on cassette. 

3) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? Everything about Who's that girl (single, video, movie). By the time of the Turin concert in September 1987 I was a "fan": not old enough to attend the show in Florence, which I regret so much. The first VHS I recorded was a tv special of all the Madonna videos: imagine watching all of them together for the first time!

1) What was your first contact with madonna's music? At age 7 with the Hard Candy singles! They were everywhere and thought she looked so hot in GITM! I even asked my parents to tell me who that girl was 👀 

2) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? I loved 4M and GITM as a kid, then for years I didn't pay attention to her but rediscovered these songs in 2018 and kinda started listening to Hard Candy ("life is a circle" moment xd) and then LAP which video was totally legendary in my eyes, then Hung Up and a few more 

3) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? End of 2018, Frozen popped up in my recommendations. That's it. The song being a dark lament with never heard before production impacted me at first listen, and the video, with her being a witch in the desert totally HAUNTED me. I was obsessed. So much that this took me, a few months later, to listen to COADF and ROL and here I am today waiting for FEL:50 =) 

1) 2005/2006. I was 11 and I was transitioning from listening exclusively to anime theme songs to listening to mainstream pop music. It was pretty impossible not to hear Hung Up and Sorry on the radio.

2) July 2006 - my dad came home one day and announced that his friend pirated Madonna's entire discography for him and put it on the family's computer. I guess I must have been curious and started listening to it and quickly became familiar with a lot of her hits. I remember I loved Erotica, Bad girl and Ray of light off the bat and they are still my favourite songs now

3) August 2006, as a natural consequence to the above

1) What was your first contact with madonna's music? in 1985 with Like A Virgin single. My first Madonna's 45 Rpm was in fact like a virgin bought in 1985 at 12 years old.

LTg1NDcuanBlZw.jpeg

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? At the end of 1984 on TV they often broadcast the collection of the first 4 videos.( and i love it ).

Ni01MDAxLmpwZWc.jpeg

3) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? : in 1985 " Like A Virgin ". My first Madonna's items was the Like A Virgin 45rpm , the 1984 VHS EP and the audiocassette Of Like A Virgin album .7dec23956008dd6310bdbeaea03ca6c634c1341f

13 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

@ma(x) Yes, I remember my classmates crazy about "Like A Virgin" and "Material Girl". Everybody was talking about Madonna.

@Aiwa08 Everyone went crazy for Madonna, on the radio, on television, and in the newspapers, she was everywhere! They have been wonderful years!

3b3a6f8608f608c02d5d40342de8e5fe.gif

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music? It was with Hung Up, I was only 9 years old and I was obsessed. The song was played all the time everywhere.

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? I was just a kid so I wasn't really into music that much until I became interested in Madonna. She was pretty much my door into the music world and I remember that later, when I started to listen to her other songs and albums I was like "oh yeah I know this song! It's was her all the time!". I remember recognizing La Isla Bonita or Who's That Girl, those were played on the radio regularly and my mom used to always listen to the radio.

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? Again, Hung Up, and then Sorry. Confessions on a Dance Floor was such a moment, I love every single thing about it. She got me there.

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music?

Mine was Like a virgin, Material girl and Into the groove in 1985. Sincerely speaking, in that period I didn' t like her. Before 1985, I didn't know her existence. In Italy Madonna became very famous thanks to Into the groove. I remember many of my classmates totally crazy for Desperately Seeking Susan.

I started loving Madonna only when "Live to tell" was released. That change in music and look impressed me a lot.

I became a ("pathologic") fan only when the video of "Open your heart" came out. After that I started to love all her music, rediscovering also her first album and appreciating previous singles as Burning up , Borderline, Lucky star and Gambler. Probably the first remixes that I bought were Open your heart, Gambler and Burning up (still my favourites).

Edited by Nowheretohide (see edit history)

1. I remember I was still a baby, around 4-5 years old maybe, when I listened to Like A Virgin for the first time: you know, this is one of those old classic that radio stations put on rotation during the 'nostalgia-segment'. My uncle is a great fan of her first years and he regularly stopped changing channels at the radio every single time he picked up the first chord. I was fascinated by that voice with no face, that put upside down my bowels and made me feel happy and alive.

2. It was 2006, with 'Sorry': I was 7 and my mother always put that song on and made me dance with her in the living room, pretending we were at the disco. I listened to that song so many times that years later sometimes I found myself humming the chorus although I didn't know a single line and I was just mimicking the sounds I heard. This song literally has haunted me for years!

3. There are so many, from 'The Power of Good-Bye' to 'You' ll See' and 'X-Static Process'. For personal reasons I pick 'Why It's so Hard': I was born and raised in a family where her music was played frequently, but due to the reputation she has here I didn't take her seriously as artist until I discovered 'Erotica'. At the time I was struggling with my personal identity and a song like 'Why It's So Hard' for the first time made me feel I was OK and that I didn't have to be ashamed of myself for my homosexuality but, on the contrary, I should have been proud of who I am and stop hiding myself. 

Sometimes she pisses me off with her boutades, but I don't wanna know how my life would have been without her. 

1º) What was your first contact with Madonna's music?

• When I was 3 or 4 years old, I just started to sing and one of the first few songs I learned was "Like a Virgin," followed by "Crazy for You." My parents didn't have a problem with me singing LAV as a kid. Plus, Madonna was played so much here in the Philippine radio back then.

• Hung Up and 4 Minutes were the songs that were on repeat in the radios here and it got me hooked to it so much. This was way before we had internet connection so I had to rely on MTV/Channel V and radio to listen to music. Also, pirated CDs sold for cheap. :laughing:

• The moment I became a fan, in this case, was when I watched Vogue for the first time back in 2012. My auntie introduced me to her and I was just enamored with her energy. 
  • FUN FACT: I once saw Die Another Day on MTV when I was a kid. It was censored, of course, but that scene wherein she spreads her blood around the walls behind her scared the sh*t out of me, despite it being pixelated. :laughing:

My now deceased brother gave me his true blue cassette back in early 87 as he didn’t want it - I knew of Madonna of course but didn’t really take much interest 

after playing the cassette non stop I was hooked and became a fan from then on - also saw wtg movie at the cinema that year and still love it to this day( we were given free badges too ) I was too young to see the concert at Wembley though which to this day I’m still gutted about 

first video I saw I think was who’s that girl 

even though my brother was not the best person in the world I will always be grateful for him to turning me onto M - he also got me into Prince too ( may they both RIP ) 🥰