Three questions for you about Madonna.

Aiwa08

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music?

Like a Virgin, on its initial release in 1984. It's hard to credit that people in the UK were mildly scandalised by such a song title :stare:

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan?

I quite liked Like a Virgin and Material Girl but I absolutely loved Into the Groove. It's still my favourite Madonna song and one of the best singles of the 80s.

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? Express Yourself (Video-clip).

Like a Prayer had quite a big impact upon me, both song and video. Following that up with Express Yourself sealed the deal for me :smile:

Up until Madonna skyrocketed to fame during Like A Virgin, I was unaware of her existence. My first exposure to her music was when my girlfriend at the time dragged me along to one of her shows during the virgin tour and although Madonna surprised me and put on a great performance, I was still not an active follower of her music for the rest of the 80's even though I was never somebody who had anything bad to say about her and loved LAP album when it came out. Everything changed in 1990 when her Blonde Ambition Tour came to town, I had never seen a pop concert like it before, everything was just revolutionary and she was at the absolute pinnacle of her career so the hype was insane, to this day it remains one of the top ten concerts I have ever attended and I have been to a hell of a lot. Since then, I have been a lifelong fan who buys everything she releases and I have never missed one of her tours which does not stop me from getting fucking pissed off with her sometimes.

1. Probably 'Who’s That Girl?': I have a memory of my mom listening to that song on a 80s/retro radio when I was very little. 4 or 5 y.o.

2. At the VMA kiss, I was intrigued by her. But after hearing Hung Up for the very first time, I truly get interested in her.

3. The 'Nothing Really Matters' music video is what made me a fan (thanks to VH1 in 2009 or something). It's still my second favorite music video of all time!

I am from Latin America and the music I listened to as a child was in Spanish, there was little diffusion of music from the USA and Europe both on radio stations and on TV channels, and I was not interested in listening to music in English at that time. But I definitely must have listened to some Madonna songs like Holiday or La isla Bonita without them calling my attention back then and I vaguely remember them.

But what made Madonna's name engraved in my memory, I don't know if it was for the better, was in 1993. I was 9 years old at the time. It was late at night, no one was home, so I turned on the TV and they were just showing a program of varied music videos (in Spanish and English) and at that moment I remember that they showed the uncensored version of Erotica.

My innocence as a child was destroyed in that instant. I had never seen such scenes: kisses between people of the same sex, women showing their breasts laughing, sadomasochism, threesomes, orgies, etc. It was too shocking for an 9 year old like me who was unaware of these realities. Not only did the song seem disturbing and terrifying to me, but Madonna herself seemed to me to be an evil and diabolical woman and that caused me a lot of fear. But I would not see that video again or be interested in her until years later.

It never happened, although I knew some of his songs from the 80s and they seemed nice to me, my taste was for music in Spanish and I didn't pay attention to music in English. Until 1999.

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan?

Nothing Really Matters is the cause of my fanaticism towards Madonna. I had never heard a similar song before and the video made me feel like I was watching a horror movie. This song hypnotized me so much that I decided to know more about this artist and her other songs, but now the challenge was to discover who that mysterious woman was since the music channel of my country did not put the corresponding credits so there was no way to know or identify that it was Madonna who sang and even worse with that geisha look that made her unrecognizable to anyone who wasn't a fan of hers. Over time I came to discover that it was Madonna thanks to a radio station that played the song and what followed was a rediscovery of her past gems like Holiday, Someting to REmember and Express Yourself that did not catch my attention at the time but now it made my fanaticism even stronger.

And we reach 2022, the feeling is still intact but I can't help but feel sad knowing that the expiration date of this adventure is yet to come and I can't deny the envy I feel towards those who had the joy of enjoying it from the beginning. If only I had the power to go back in time.

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music? When I saw Madonna's Like a Virgin vinyl album in a friend's house

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? When I listened Like a Virgin on the radio

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? Like a Virgin video

1) When i was a little boy my father bought "Like A Virgin" LP and "Thriller" and I used to think that Madonna and Cyndi Lauper was the same person, maybe was the "ahhh" in "Material Girl"

2) Again my father in autum 1993 he bought "Immaculate Collection" CD and I love "Live To Tell", "Into The Groove"...

3) The song "Erotica" when Madonna came to Mexico for the firts time in the late 1993, the chorus was stuck in my head "erotic erotic" and I was amazed and wandering why this woman could generate so much debates and controversy in Mexico and the world

1º) What was your first contact with Madonna's music? 

It must have been sometime in the early 90's when I was 3 or 4 ('93 or maybe '94). Before I really knew who she was I remember hearing Live to Tell on the radio. It was a song I often confused with Jennifer Rush's The Power Of Love, Berlin's Take My Breath Away, or the downtempo sections of Irene Cara's What A Feeling. They had a similar vibe to me. Later, Verás received strong airplay here in Southamerica, so once I learnt it was Madonna I was kind of shocked.

I can say that American Pie in 2000 had a special impact on me because pop charts were dominated by bubblegum pop music of the likes of Britney, Christina, N*Sync and the A*Teens and Madonna's voice and production were far superior. Later that year, the Music album was released and it totally blew my mind. It sounded so different, mature, decent, melodic, and long etcetera. This new sound made me want to know more about her, who she was and what she had been doing before. I remember listening to Frozen and Nothing Really Matters (Club 69 Radio Mix) on the radio and I being fascinated by how good they were. I finally managed to get The Immaculate Collection in early 2001 and my obsession was born. I discovered she really had an immense catalogue.

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna fan? 

The Frozen video and the HBO broadcast of the Drowned World Tour in August 2001.

Um...she was always part of my life and there was never a time she wasnt so there kinda is no "first contact". It's like asking about my first contact with my mother...conception lol

I mean my aunts always played her so i was always a fan! Especially since i was born in the late 80s i couldn't help but to be born a fan lol

The earliest memory i have of Madonna is like Express Yourself/Vogue and just never had the opportunity to discover her since she was always there lol the first time i could buy something was my mom buying me the maxi for DCFMA and the Evita soundtrack. I also always remember being excited with her on TV...my first really clear memory was Oprah for Evita 

On 7/11/2022 at 11:52 AM, Aiwa08 said:

Just for curiosity, I have three questions for you:

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music? Mine was Burning Up (7'' Version) on 1983. But it wasn't until 1987 that I found out it was a Madonna song.

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? I liked Burning Up, Into the Groove and Material girl too much. But the first time I really loved a Madonna's song was "Live To Tell" (Video-Clip) on 1986. After that I loved "Open Your Heart", "La Isla Bonita", "Where's the Party (Remix) and "Who's That Girl".

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? Express Yourself (Video-clip). The remix and the video hit my head on 1989 and until today I'm a fan (with ups and downs through the years).

1.My sisters playings True Blue cassete in 1986, 1987. I was 4 and already in love with the iconic cover and the title track and it´s clip.

2.In 1998, 1999, after being listening on the radio again and again such amazing songs as The power of goodbye, frozen, Substitute for love, Nothing really matters...with tremendous clips.

3.I´d say with the quality of susbtitute for love I decided to buy the ROL cd around 1999 and that´s when I started my fandon. Then I remember the succes of American Pie all around the world and Music was forthcoming, what an exciting era was it. She was lovely singing, speaking on interviews, on her clips: everything was positive about her for me at that time.

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music? Oof, this is a hard one but I’ll try. I’m a 97 baby with a Boomer mom, so almost exclusively was I exposed by her… but I remember what May have been my first contact I can remember as Material Girl on the radio in my dad’s vehicle when he took me to get a new hot wheels toy (how ironic yeah?). I didn’t know who sang it. I also didn’t know the words so I was singing “Mama Cheerio”.

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? So this is tough too because I was still young but difference in these two examples is that I was aware she was the artist. First was my mom had Music on CD and she would play it in the car through CD play to tape kinda device because her car didn’t have a CD player. Just cassette. I don’t remember any music strangely but I remember her having the CD and me loving it. I’d say later she got the Immaculate Collection while we were at Myrtle Beach on vacation. I was probably closer to 8 or 10 then and I remember putting Vogue on repeat. 

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? I’ll briefly mention 4 Minutes because when it hit YouTube, I had just got a computer in my own room and I remember that introducing me to her current era (my mom wasn’t one to keep up with music later in life so I missed Confessions and American Life). But what really nailed the coffin? Sticky and Sweet Tour being uploaded on to YouTube. I watched that for hours after school waiting to go home in my moms office. Two more events would propel my fandom, the first was the Super Bowl and MDNA. And then lastly, Living for Love at the Grammys. Living for Love ignited a fire to learn everything I could and eventually introduced me to this forum. Older fans may mock MDNA or Hard Candy and Rebel Heart, but they played pivotal roles to some of us younger fans.

Primary school friend with poster of her everywhere in his bedroom …

With La Isla Bonita … i buy « True Blue » in 1987 i was 10 / and i saw the WTG tour on Tv summer 1987 - then i decided to become a pop star ! 

Vogue on the radio in 1990 and the Blond Ambition Tour on TV summer 1990 made me a fan … in bed with Madonna in 1991 made me a fan forever 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:52 AM, Aiwa08 said:

Just for curiosity, I have three questions for you:

1º) What was your first contact with madonna's music? Mine was Burning Up (7'' Version) on 1983. But it wasn't until 1987 that I found out it was a Madonna song.

2º) When did you start loving Madonna's music without being a fan? I liked Burning Up, Into the Groove and Material girl too much. But the first time I really loved a Madonna's song was "Live To Tell" (Video-Clip) on 1986. After that I loved "Open Your Heart", "La Isla Bonita", "Where's the Party (Remix) and "Who's That Girl".

3º) What song / remix /  video-clip made you a Madonna's fan? Express Yourself (Video-clip). The remix and the video hit my head on 1989 and until today I'm a fan (with ups and downs through the years).

1. The first time I remember hearing Madonna's music was around six years ago in a car when Material Girl was playing on the radio. I didn't think her vocals were that great.

2. Following the first time I heard Material Girl, I went about two to three years without hearing a song from her. Eventually, I started listening to older music more often on the radio. I eventually heard more songs by Madonna this way. Songs I've heard around this time included Like a Prayer and Vogue. I personally found these songs to be much better than Material Girl, and although I wasn't a fan at the time (since I only knew a handful of songs), I loved her music.

3. I was bored one night in 2020 when I decided to listen to more of Madonna's music because why not. This is when I first heard a large number of songs such as Hung Up for the first time. I remember enjoying Hung Up a lot. But what really made me become a fan was watching that interview with David Letterman in 1994. I first heard of the interview when I searched up "Madonna" on Wikipedia, and one of the suggestions on the dropdown menu was a very long title including "Madonna" in it. I clicked on the title, which led to the article describing the iconic interview. The article described how Madonna swore numerous times on a TV interview, which I found very funny. I eventually watched the interview itself, and I was laughing pretty hard by the end of it. I would say that I became a fan of Madonna after watching that interview, which still holds true today.