MDNA + Rebel Heart - filler = ?

Starchild

I've always felt that MDNA was a half-assed album, and that RH was one big, messy soup.

What if M had more time to perfect what would follow HC and precede MX?

What if she released just one very strong album instead of the two during that span of time?

Post your imaginary tracklisting totalling 14 songs, with 7 from MDNA and 7 from RH. Released songs only.

Think about the album experience rather than just slapping together your favourites.

Screen Shot 2022-07-17 at 5.18.54 pm.png

No need to save anything from MDNA.

1. Living for love

2. Ghosttown

3. Devil pray

4. Hold tight

5. Nothing lasts forever

6. HeartBreakCity

7. Inside out

8. Borrowed time

9. Best night

10. Body shop

11. Messiah

12. Wash all over me

13. Rebel heart

Living for love Bside: Tragic girl

Ghosttown Bside: Queen

Hold tight Bside: Never let you go

Rebel heart Bside: Veni Vidi Vici

MDNA should have been just Girl gone wild, Gang Bang and I'm addicted released as stand alone singles.

14 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

No need to save anything from MDNA.

1. Living for love

2. Ghosttown

3. Devil pray

4. Hold tight

5. Nothing lasts forever

6. HeartBreakCity

7. Inside out

8. Borrowed time

9. Best night

10. Body shop

11. Messiah

12. Wash all over me

13. Rebel heart

Living for love Bside: Tragic girl

Ghosttown Bside: Queen

Hold tight Bside: Never let you go

Rebel heart Bside: Veni Vidi Vici

MDNA should have been just Girl gone wild, Gang Bang and I'm addicted released as stand alone singles.

The death of the b-side is truly sadness :(

I like both albums and I lived intensely each era of them with her. Madame x for me is the overated piece of shit, disguised as a experimental piece of art and then you have her worst vocals ever and Bitch I´m a loca with Maluma and more gems like that. Anyway, it´s my view.

About MDNA and Rebel Heart, I agree you put a 12 tracks collection with the best of them and you have two very good albums, putting out of them Birthday song, Autotune baby and even tracks that were in the main release, cause some special edition tracks were fucking amazing: Messiah, that song about Alain Delon, Best friend..

2 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

I like both albums and I lived intensely each era of them with her. Madame x for me is the overated piece of shit, disguised as a experimental piece of art and then you have her worst vocals ever and Bitch I´m a loca with Maluma and more gems like that. Anyway, it´s my view.

About MDNA and Rebel Heart, I agree you put a 12 tracks collection with the best of them and you have two very good albums, putting out of them Birthday song, Autotune baby and even tracks that were in the main release, cause some special edition tracks were fucking amazing: Messiah, that song about Alain Delon, Best friend..

thank you!

i feel like rebel heart would have worked better as the double rebel/heart it was intended to be

The only fillers in MDNA are Superstar, B-Day Song, Best Friend and the stupid bonus track Give Me All Your Luvin' (Party Rock remix). Without these tracks, MDNA would be a perfect album. Anyway, MDNA is almost a perfect album.

With Rebel Heart is another different story. The album only needs to restore the original demos leaked. 

The only fillers in MDNA are Superstar, B-Day Song, Best Friend and the stupid bonus track Give Me All Your Luvin' (Party Rock remix). Without these tracks, MDNA would be a perfect album. Anyway, MDNA is almost a perfect album.
With Rebel Heart is another different story. The album only needs to restore the original demos leaked. 

I could not disagree more on both counts, but okay!

2 hours ago, Vasili said:

I could not disagree more on both counts, but okay!

But this is the greatness of Madonna. Every fan is different. Some fans love "Like A Virgin", others don't like it. Some fans think "Like A Prayer" is her best song, others "Live To Tell"... The same works with MDNA and Rebel Heart. Me and my boyfriend love MDNA and don't like Rebel Heart (the final version). I think Madonna has the most heterogeneous fans, and that is really good.

30 minutes ago, Aiwa08 said:

But this is the greatness of Madonna. Every fan is different. Some fans love "Like A Virgin", others don't like it. Some fans thinks "Like A Prayer" is her best songs, others "Live To Tell"... The same works with MDNA and Rebel Heart. Me and my boyfriend love MDNA and don't like Rebel Heart (the final version). I think Madonna has the most heterogeneous fans, and that is really good.

Yes!

I think too MDNA was a perfect pop record for its time, I love it and have many great mem´ries about it  and she looked amazing, but she also did with Rebel Heart. The only thing is that RH era was a mess between one thing and the other. But I would give an arm maybe for Madonna returning to that style of person and artist of those eras.

But this is the greatness of Madonna. Every fan is different. Some fans love "Like A Virgin", others don't like it. Some fans think "Like A Prayer" is her best song, others "Live To Tell"... The same works with MDNA and Rebel Heart. Me and my boyfriend love MDNA and don't like Rebel Heart (the final version). I think Madonna has the most heterogeneous fans, and that is really good.

Obviously.
However, to say that the GMAYL remix is filler but not the original itself, and calling MDNA a perfect album minus a few songs? Nah.
Also, her voice has become very thin with time and is often so buried in the mixes on these two albums, dwarfed by the instrumentation.
All of these songs would shine more if her voice was stronger and better produced.

MDNA overall was a pretty forced album. She needed something to go on tour with but wasted too much time directing a flop movie. The album needed to be darker and she should have gotten rid of as many Solveig tracks as possible:

1. Girl Gone Wild
  2. I'm Addicted
  3. Bang Bang (retitled)
  4. Some Girls
  5. I Don't Give A
  6. Turn Up the Radio
  7. I'm a Sinner
  8. Beautiful Killer
  9. Masterpiece
  10. Falling Free
  11. Love Spent
  12. Best Friend

Some Girls, I Don't Give A, Turn Up the Radio & I'm a Sinner are all terrible and Love Spent is incredibly over produced. I would remove the first four if we had better outtakes. Sadly that is not the case, so they have to remain as fillers.

Rebel Heart is an excellent album that suffers from a terrible tracklist. Had they arranged it to match the "two sides" concept, it would have worked better.

1. Iconic
  2. Veni Vidi Vici
  3. Illuminati
  4. Bitch I'm Madonna
  5. Unapologetic Bitch
  6. Best Night
  7. S.E.X.
  8. Holy Water
  9. Inside Out
  10. Rebel Heart
  11. Joan of Arc
  12. Body Shop
  13. Devil Pray
  14. Ghosttown
  15. Messiah
  16. HeartBreakCity
  17. Living for Love
  18. Hold Tight
  19. Wash All Over Me

REBEL
HEART

If I have to turn this into a short album, I would pick the following songs:

1. Iconic
  2. Veni Vidi Vici
  3. Living for Love
  4. Devil Pray
  5. Holy Water
  6. S.E.X.
  7. Inside Out
  8. Best Night
  9. Messiah
  10. Ghosttown
  11. Hold Tight
  12. Wash All Over Me
  13. Rebel Heart

1. Illuminati (original demo version)

2. Wash All Over Me (Avicci original)

3. Iconic

4. I'm Addicted 

5: Some Girls

6: I'm A Sinner

7: Love Spent

8: Beautiful Killer

9: Hold Tight

10: Joan of Arc

11. Ghostown

12. Rebel Heart (Avicci original)

13. Living For Love (Original demo)

14: Falling Free

A lot of the tracks would still benefit from better quality production and engingeering/handling/mixing of her vocals 

8 hours ago, Vasili said:

Also, her voice has become very thin with time and is often so buried in the mixes on these two albums, dwarfed by the instrumentation.
All of these songs would shine more if her voice was stronger and better produced.

Agree  - her voice sounds too  shrill and slightly grating on some tracks like Living For Love and most of MDNA  with a few exceptions like Falling Free which is just less produced than the rest of the album

I don't think pitching up her vocals into a higher key helped for MDNA  - the engineers did not really handle her vocals great on both albums and how they mixed the tracks. She has sounded better live or on some tracks since or around the same time so think she can /could still sing much better than how she sounded on both those albums. She can't have had the best engineers for these albums or maybe was just rushed or the sound she wanted. Her voice sounded loads better on Confessions and how it was mixed with the instrumentation but I know was stronger then