Art for Madonna - @brendonshayart Ask Me Anything <3

12 hours ago, mouse said:

Thank you for taking the time to share all these infos here and congratulations for your work which I love.

My questions are did you choose this photo of Ricardo ?
If yes, why ? Did you have the possibility to choose any period or necessarily a recent photo ?

I chose the photo of M’s Insta, I love this photo when it’s close up and cropped…. No one told me which photo to use, if I remember, I think I was told any close ups would be good!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 hours ago, Brendonshayart said:

Hey!!!! 

For the Frozen cover, Ricardo sent me the image to use and I did my scribbles on top, there were a fair few variations of the scribbles but M made the final choice when I presented the options to her! 

With FEL, M and I worked on a cover we really liked but Warner didn’t find it “iconic” enough. 
I took it upon myself to create another option for them, again using a photo taken by Ricardo, there was no art direction from M or her team, the FEL cover as it is today is my creation which has been used without any tweaking from their end. 

It is my handwriting on her brows and also on the hype sticker, you can see my Ⓑ signature in the bottom right of the sticker 😀

Could you share the rejected cover please?? 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

21 hours ago, artlover said:

Welcome aboard!! 

isn't it fantastic that even so far away from each other (I live in Brazil) we can get to chat with someone who worked so close with Madonna? I find that fascinating... 

If you do not mind me asking...

Is that the cover Warner labeled as not iconic enough? What were the comments and how did Madonna receive them?

Yup! I'm not sure on the comments, M just mentioned that they said it wasn't iconic or bright enough.

12 hours ago, Blue Jean said:

Hello Brendan!

Congratulations on what you have achieved!

I just wanted to say I love this design and I’m wondering if it or any of its variations were considered?

91E5FC7D-7D98-4582-9596-C1866B7997C4.jpeg

i really love this one also! i know M saw it, reposted it, but not sure if it was ever considered...

11 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

@Brendonshayart was this a fun project to work on? Was Madonna difficult in her requests or it went smoothly? 
Also you mentioned she gave lots of direction. Are you able to share the guidelines she offered? 
You posted on your instagram a mock-up of the boxset with a really cool design. Was that ever considered for the box art? 
And finally, did you choose the final cover photo or was that given to you?

Yes! it was heaps of fun, no she wasn't difficult at all! No I don't think those images were ever considered but I do love that vinyl mock up!

That’s awesome, must be like a dream to work with her! 🏆 I’m sure she will continue to work with you in future. 😎👍🏼

Possible to share with us the artwork without the red sticker in good quality? Also the Pride promo poster you did with which picture? Also if you can share it with us! 🙌🏼

On 7/18/2022 at 4:38 AM, Brendonshayart said:

So cool that it’ll be in peoples hands all over the planet!!! 

Yeah! I’ve shared it before, I’ll post one of the early drafts of it here! 

Favourite album cover - Confessions 

Favourite single cover - Like a Prayer 

Favourite song from FEL - Frozen

When did I become a fan? 
I’m 30, I’ve grown up hearing Madonna always. 
I was 5 when Frozen came out, I was mesmerised by that video as a child, I feel that was my first time seeing her. My uncle is gay and has been a big fan since Everybody, I have all of his memorabilia and records now, he taught me all about Madonna when I got a little older and at about 10 years old he lent me all her CDS to feast on.

D722D820-1D70-4C19-A841-DAF937F50171.jpeg

I can see why they rejected it! It’s religious and very dark, definitely not the best option for a remix album… 🤔

17 hours ago, Brendonshayart said:

Yup! I'm not sure on the comments, M just mentioned that they said it wasn't iconic or bright enough.

8 hours ago, mouse said:

Stunning. Too bad that Warner didn’t find it “iconic” enough

2 hours ago, cosmic_system said:

As I told you Instagram many times I LOVE your work. Personally I find the first draft more Iconic than the one they used (I love the end result too though). Too bad Warner had cold feet about the religious vibes (I’m sure that’s the reason). 

Ironically, Martin Burgoyne was supposed to design the album sleeve for her debut, but according to Seymour Stein, Madonna didn't think it was "Iconic" enough and discreetly asked A&R man Michael Rosenblatt to reject it. Here is a passage from Seymour Stein's autobiography Siren Song: My Life in Music.

SirenSong.thumb.png.64b05e5b5340b395d7769718cb853a47.png

21 minutes ago, Vogue Italia said:

Ironically, Martin Burgoyne was supposed to design the album sleeve for her debut, but according to Seymour Stein, Madonna didn't think it was "Iconic" enough and discreetly asked A&R man Michael Rosenblatt to reject it. Here is a passage from Seymour Stein's autobiography Siren Song: My Life in Music.

SirenSong.thumb.png.64b05e5b5340b395d7769718cb853a47.png

Interesting… but she loved him? He’s referring to that Lucky Star album? 🤔

Welcome! 25 here so I understand Madonna almost second exposure from a family member than discovering her initially on your own. Also, beware we are as nice as we are critical sometimes. If M read half what went on here, she’d prob address us in an Insta story with the worse filter she could find just for us! Haha! Congrats on the opportunity and keep it up! There’s a lot I’ve seen on your insta that was just gorgeous and iconic. Literally would hang it up if I could haha.

21 hours ago, poodle said:

I would love to see more of traditional work from you. Here's mine. 

madge_collagetralaa.jpg

That comment comes across very rude. That would be like someone saying to you ' would love to see more of abstract expressionist painting from you. Here's mine.'

Brendon's work may not be to your personal taste but hey, it's immortalised on a Madonna album cover