MATERIAL GWORLLLL (Saucy Santana and Madonna)

Roy

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, TonyMontana said:

am i crazy or she has a filter on her face in the video preview ??! She looks different than on the live event, thinner face and heavier make up. 

Nope, you’re right… now everything is possible.. I think they used some special face effect that apply her old features. 👀 I saw one guy who use a special face filter to look like Tom Cruise 

2 hours ago, GhostOrchid said:

Yeah I get that and that's okay. But I'm just wondering how is this song categorized not taking into consideration the legal stuff -and using, like, common sense. 

Also credit for Act of Contrition goes to the Catholic church :laughing:

Yeah and the reservation verse going to "WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT'S NOT ON THE COMPUTER??" is from a Karen. 😂😂😂

20 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Nope, you’re right… now everything is possible.. I think they used some special face effect that apply her old features. 👀 I saw one guy who use a special face filter to look like Tom Cruise 

That's deepfake, the VFX you're talking about on the Tom Cruise thing. :D

24 minutes ago, Ayham said:

Yeah they definitely enhanced her face. I precise i'm not saying she wasn't looking good at the gig but they did something on her face for the official release.

“Bling” is hyper political. 
hyper.

So many black Americans cannot get legal representation or afford bail and the justice system is set up to work against the poor or less well off which historically I’m the US has meant people of colour. There’s a  chilling documentary about it that I fail to remember the name of. 
Bling isn’t just about “look what shit I got”, it’s literally saying I’m able to pay for my own justice if you come for me. Which is a sorry fucking state. When a rapper is talking about their ice, papers, cars and or whatever it’s not solely about being braggadocious it’s about saying “the system can’t get me I’m now on some sort of  equal footing and I can hold my own”

Everything is more complex that it seems. 

@steady75 A question... The N-word is pronounced in the song... If a group of Black and non-Black people were singing it/miming to it together in a club or at a party, should all the non-Black people stop at that one word? I guess the answer is yes, but doesn't it make it feel a bit awkward? I understand it's reappropriation or reclamation when Black (incl. biracial Black) artists employ that term.

I'm myself Black, and it would not bother me if a non-Black person used it as a term of endearment w/ no derogatory intents (like Madonna did Rocco back then on Instagram, and Rocco is White), but I understand many would be very upset.

43 minutes ago, TonyMontana said:

Yeah they definitely enhanced her face. I precise i'm not saying she wasn't looking good at the gig but they did something on her face for the official release.

Also I believe they shot the video before the gig, I assume on the 23rd. 🤔

@Arckangel

I mean I live in a state of each to their own. It’s not my word to use and I personally would call out another non PoC person for using it. It’s not for me to tell PoC how and when to use a word reclaimed and repurposed. Like .. I’m out of my lane. 
My personal dislike for the word in any form is just that.. personal. I know it’s spelled differently and has a different meaning to the slur but the phonetics are the same and hits my ear with the same sting. You’ll never hear me say it or sing it to a lyric. It just… yeah it just don’t feel right. To me. 

on the same token I very occasionally use to F slur when referring to myself and other gay people. In humour and with a sense of irony. But if a non queer person used it loosely or  in reference to me It would still sting some. Unless I knew them very very very well and knew their intent. 

I just find it basic and telling that the n word and f word can often be heard loudest on the dancefloor when white folk feel they’re “permitted” to say it.

It’s another complex issue but I think it’s just about policing yourself and what sits right with your soul. 

My reasoning for not liking it in rap music is because I think it just perpetuates the common use of the word specifically amongst people who it’s not hurtful to when used. In truth id like it never to be heard again but that is non of my damn business….but I’ll call it out from white peeps. Wrong or right that’s my stance. 

32 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

I was actually looking for musical similarities. I've only found similarities in the "material girl," " I'm a material girl," and "material gworl" lyrics and (to some extent) vocal melodies of those lyrics. And yeah, there's the overall theme of the song.

@Prayer @Roy @GhostOrchid @Blue Jean 

Both songs talk about wealth and opulence but in a way that it is tongue in cheek. Nothing to take too seriously about other than for fun.

It's one of those songs where you did a huge purchase and you feel so good about it like a vinyl set, branded clothes or electronic equipment. 😂😊

49 minutes ago, Arckangel said:

@steady75 A question... The N-word is pronounced in the song... If a group of Black and non-Black people were singing it/miming to it together in a club or at a party, should all the non-Black people stop at that one word? I guess the answer is yes, but doesn't it make it feel a bit awkward? I understand it's reappropriation or reclamation when Black (incl. biracial Black) artists employ that term.

I'm myself Black, and it would not bother me if a non-Black person used it as a term of endearment w/ no derogatory intents (like Madonna did Rocco back then on Instagram, and Rocco is White), but I understand many would be very upset.

A friend recommended using brother in songs instead, so now I do this.

1 hour ago, Arckangel said:

Lola used to call her affluent friends in high-school her "nigs"...

America is saturated in black culture yet they are told they are a racist country... You hear nothing but the word in music yet not allowed to say it... America is a deeply confused nation.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic