New Variety Interview

TOpher

24 minutes ago, TOpher said:

What are your plans for music going forward?

I’m just looking for interesting, fun ways to rerelease my catalog and introduce my music to a new generation. I’m focused on that and I’ve been writing a screenplay for my film for the last couple of years. The whole thing with “Frozen” was so fun, but I woke up one day and went, “I’m sick of living in the past!” I want to go on tour again, I’m a creature of the stage. That is my happy place.

(...) 

Guy says you shot down any consideration of selling your song catalog. Why? 

Because they’re my songs. Ownership is everything isn’t it?  I mean, that’s why he’s buying apes.

Where are you at with the biopic?

I have a very long script that is really hard for me to make shorter. I’ve been whittling away at it, but it’s like hacking off my limbs.

Why did you decide to make the film?

I’ve had an extraordinary life, I must make an extraordinary film. It was also a preemptive strike because a lot of people were trying to make movies about me. Mostly misogynistic men. So I put my foot in the door and said, “No one’s going to tell my story, but me.”

The interesting part if you don't feel like reading everything xoxo

I'm so happy reading this:

Guy says you shot down any consideration of selling your song catalog. Why? 

Because they’re my songs. Ownership is everything isn’t it?  I mean, that’s why he’s buying apes.

OF COURSE Guy had to try... :angryaf:  and that's why he's buying apes. :tongue:

It's also one of the most "classic Madonna" replies in recent times.

59 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Great interview. The piece on Guy O is really good too, surely a little boring during the NFT part, but very touching when it comes to M.

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/guy-oseary-nft-madonna-u2-manager-1235325286/

Thank you for posting the link. It was a great interview. ❤

I’m just looking for interesting, fun ways to rerelease my catalog and introduce my music to a new generation.

This is a bit worrying !

No, mama, give us the cds, give us the vinyls, give us the dvd and the br, give us the tapes, if you want ! The catalog is VERY  interesting as it is ! We've been waiting for remizes, demos and bsides for years and years !

I'd be happy to see her touring again. Yet I don't know if I would spend so much money like I did for 4 MXT shows. I think she needs a new formula and some preparation. A greatest hits tour is highly possible at this point. But if she gets easily bored by the past, why doesn't she work on a new album?

It feels to me she is more confortable with the idea of being a legacy artist? The tour maybe, the compilation, the movie? So has she surrended? It´s already been 3 years since the last record, but I see new music is not even in her plans..An artist is really alive when inspiration for new things is on its head.

But I agree she seems in sweet mood, which I like much more than the latest rebel teenage one.

4 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

It feels to me she is more confortable with the idea of being a legacy artist? The tour maybe, the compilation, the movie? So has she surrended? It´s already been 3 years since the last record, but I see new music is not even in her plans..An artist is really alive when inspiration for new things is on its head.

But I agree she seems in sweet mood, which I like much more than the latest rebel teenage one.

She said during Madame X promotion that she wasn't inspired when she made MDNA and Rebel heart and just made them for contractual obligations. She now has none, so it makes sense for her not to waste time making bad music, or recording good music written by someone else. She can make another album when she feels like it. I'd rather have it like that than have another MDNA. 

2 minutes ago, Fabiolous said:

She said during Madame X promotion that she wasn't inspired when she made MDNA and Rebel heart and just made them for contractual obligations.

interesting. not so much regarding MDNA, but rebel heart. do you have source to link to?