New Variety Interview

TOpher

7 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

ps. Anything as good as POG or ROL on MX...hmmm, yes - Dark Ballet, God Control, Future, Batuka, Killers Who Are Partying, Come Alive, Extreme Occident, IDSIF, Ciao Bella...to name a few.  ;)

Oh today is opposite day?  Then yes, those are amazing songs that arent boring in the slightest 😂

On 7/27/2022 at 8:19 PM, Prayer said:

I'm so happy reading this:

Guy says you shot down any consideration of selling your song catalog. Why? 

Because they’re my songs. Ownership is everything isn’t it?  I mean, that’s why he’s buying apes.

OF COURSE Guy had to try... :angryaf:  and that's why he's buying apes. :tongue:

It's also one of the most "classic Madonna" replies in recent times.

No one can deny there is a trend in the music business. Bowie kind of started it in the 90s, and now many "legacy" catalogs are being sold to majors. The latest ones are French electro pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre and rock icon Frank Zappa. Stevie Nicks, Bob Dylan, Tina Turner, Bruce Springsteen, you name it.

M is an artist and businesswoman, Guy is "just" a manager and entrepreneur.
They don't have to agree on everything, and most of all, she's right. It's her own shit.

9 hours ago, Alpha said:

Oh ok...i am thankful for that too that i don't put those songs on the same level of TPOGB...imagine the wallpaper in my home if i had that taste

Neither do I, but hey, maybe there are people here that think that songs like Future are even better than The power of goodbye. I think Madonna has lost the ability to do songs like Time Stood Still or The power of goodbye or Like a prayer, that go right to the heart.

2 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

Neither do I, but hey, maybe there are people here that think that songs like Future are even better than The power of goodbye. I think Madonna has lost the ability to do songs like Time Stood Still or The power of goodbye or Like a prayer, that go right to the heart.

I dont agree about that. I'm always being a bit cheeky because there have been many songs that have touched me by her since then but ultimately it is just an opinion. MX for as much of a mess as it is will always remind me of hearing Medellíne and being inspired to quit my job of almost ten years. I always have to remember though that my tone gets lost in my posts so sometimes my humor gets lost. 

12 hours ago, Alpha said:

Oh ok...i am thankful for that too that i don't put those songs on the same level of TPOGB...imagine the wallpaper in my home if i had that taste

Different strokes for different folks. Ultimately, we don't all hear/see/feel artistic works in the same way. And that's ok, by its very nature.

For the record, I don't really compare works. I've never been interested in whether something 'lives up to' something from the past. What ultimately matters to me is whether I enjoy the work or not, as is, on its own merits, in the here and now. Does it move me, in some way? What value has it brought to my life? And most importantly, how does it make me feel? All works, of varying strength (as subjective as it is), all have their place. The idea that something has no value if it doesn't live up to their "best" work is a perpetually losing battle for any artist. No artist can ever live up to that, and I think it's the death knell for art. Ultimately, I just feel very lucky to have my favorite artist of all time continue to move forward, be inspired by new things, and still take risks...no matter the criticism.

Oh, and your wallpaper would be fabulous. :kissy:

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

Different strokes for different folks. Ultimately, we don't all hear/see/feel artistic works in the same way. And that's ok, by its very nature.

For the record, I don't really compare works. I've never been interested in whether something 'lives up to' something from the past. What ultimately matters to me is whether I enjoy the work or not, as is, on its own merits, in the here and now. Does it move me, in some way? What value has it brought to my life? And most importantly, how does it make me feel? All works, of varying strength (as subjective as it is), all have their place. The idea that something has no value if it doesn't live up to their "best" work is a perpetually losing battle for any artist. No artist can ever live up to that, and I think it's the death knell for art. Ultimately, I just feel very lucky to have my favorite artist of all time continue to move forward, be inspired by new things, and still take risks...no matter the criticism.

Yes in a way, but on another way, as in the case of Madonna, if you were, to start with,  into great music with impresive melodies, orchestrations and amazing vocals as she did in, for example, ROL, and that´s why you became a fan, it is difficult to still being a fan judging what she has been releasing lately. Oks, she is always changing, she always have been, but always mantaining a level of excellence and perfectionism so missed lately. Could you tell me that she was so hardworking on every level, so inspired when she recorded something like Drowned World as she was when she recorded Future, Funana or Bith I´m loca. To me, she has not worked so inmensely as she did and that´s one of the reasons her work is not so brilliant anymore and she has not the succes she had once. And don´t tell me excuses like she is older and bla bla..she is not that old  anyway, and senior people can still release great music if they want, and there are many many examples.

1 hour ago, VogueMusic said:

I always feel ok if i dont like this album maybe the next one. For the record i LOVE MDNA and feel it's her real last album that felt like a Madonna album as opposed to a throw things to the wall and see what sticks mixtape.

I dont have wallpaper, just a padded cell

😐😐😐

25 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

Yes in a way, but on another way, as in the case of Madonna, if you were, to start with,  into great music with impresive melodies, orchestrations and amazing vocals as she did in, for example, ROL, and that´s why you became a fan, it is difficult to still being a fan judging what she has been releasing lately.

Well, it's not difficult for those of us who simply happen to hear things differently, and feel that there is an abundance of wonderful music on the last few projects, with all those wonderful qualities you just described. Again, how we hear music (and how it affects us personally) is incredibly subjective.

Oks, she is always changing, she always have been, but always mantaining a level of excellence and perfectionism so missed lately.

I don't feel the same way. Perhaps there is a bit less perfectionism (which in many ways I kind of understand at this point in time), but I personally feel there is plenty of excellence still among the things that may not be so 'perfect'.

Could you tell me that she was so hardworking on every level, so inspired when she recorded something like Drowned World as she was when she recorded Future, Funana or Bith I´m loca.

Honestly, from how I perceive the work, yes. But truly, no one can define that objectively unless they were there with her, in the room, witness to the whole process. Again, I personally feel no need to compare something to the past when a number of factors are so incredibly different now to then anyway.

To me, she has not worked so inmensely as she did and that´s one of the reasons her work is not so brilliant anymore and she has not the succes she had once.

It's a bummer you feel that way, but you're welcome to feel however you want. I don't share any of those feelings. Sorry. I think she's worked her ass off in the last decade+, especially considering a number of factors she's had to deal with, personally and professionally. I don't think we could have gotten works like The MDNA Tour, Rebel Heart, MX and it's subsequent tour (amongst other things) if her heart wasn't in it anymore. Also, "success" is subjectively defined as well. For being who and what she is, compared to a number of industry factors, success in the last number of years, and certainly going forward, is going to be drastically different than it ever was...no matter how 'good' the work may or may not be, whether we like it or not. Given the nature of the industry and the wider culture, it's the inevitable state for any artist with this kind of longevity, especially for the very few not relying on nostalgia/legacy. Personally, it's why I don't try to see things through a lens still rooted in the 80s, 90s, or 00s.

And don´t tell me excuses like she is older and bla bla..she is not that old  anyway, and senior people can still release great music if they want, and there are many many examples.

There are no excuses here. Simply the acknowledgement and understanding that we are in a different time, with a very different industry, and a whole set of unfortunate factors/circumstances that are sadly out of most of our (and her) control. Best I can personally do is to keep an open mind, be open to new things, and whether I ultimately like it or not, continue to support my favorite artist while she's still here (and especially considering so many of my lifelong favs are now gone).

And you are right, she is not old, and can still release great music...as some of us feel she has been doing all along. ;)

18 hours ago, VogueMusic said:

Well, it's not difficult for those of us who simply happen to hear things differently, and feel that there is an abundance of wonderful music on the last few projects, with all those wonderful qualities you just described. Again, how we hear music (and how it affects us personally) is incredibly subjective.

I don't feel the same way. Perhaps there is a bit less perfectionism (which in many ways I kind of understand at this point in time), but I personally feel there is plenty of excellence still among the things that may not be so 'perfect'.

Honestly, from how I perceive the work, yes. But truly, no one can define that objectively unless they were there with her, in the room, witness to the whole process. Again, I personally feel no need to compare something to the past when a number of factors are so incredibly different now to then anyway.

It's a bummer you feel that way, but you're welcome to feel however you want. I don't share any of those feelings. Sorry. I think she's worked her ass off in the last decade+, especially considering a number of factors she's had to deal with, personally and professionally. I don't think we could have gotten works like The MDNA Tour, Rebel Heart, MX and it's subsequent tour (amongst other things) if her heart wasn't in it anymore. Also, "success" is subjectively defined as well. For being who and what she is, compared to a number of industry factors, success in the last number of years, and certainly going forward, is going to be drastically different than it ever was...no matter how 'good' the work may or may not be, whether we like it or not. Given the nature of the industry and the wider culture, it's the inevitable state for any artist with this kind of longevity, especially for the very few not relying on nostalgia/legacy. Personally, it's why I don't try to see things through a lens still rooted in the 80s, 90s, or 00s.

There are no excuses here. Simply the acknowledgement and understanding that we are in a different time, with a very different industry, and a whole set of unfortunate factors/circumstances that are sadly out of most of our (and her) control. Best I can personally do is to keep an open mind, be open to new things, and whether I ultimately like it or not, continue to support my favorite artist while she's still here (and especially considering so many of my lifelong favs are now gone).

And you are right, she is not old, and can still release great music...as some of us feel she has been doing all along. ;)

Ok, I agree, the difference between us is really perception.  I really don´t like what she is been doing since 2016, maybe one song or two, don´t like her pattern in interviews and imaginery, but she is likes to change so much, who knows if she can be better to my eyes on day again.

I really envy you cause I would love the feel the passion about her that I felt, I would say till 2016, quite recently. But I just can´t. I play Madame X and for me the most part for me it´s terrible. And how much did I loved Mirwais work before, God knows. The only track that brings me the Madonna vibes of before is I´ll rise. Ciao Bella has some vibes of before. And since the release of this cd, all has been a downhill.

26 minutes ago, Drownedboy said:

Ok, I agree, the difference between us is really perception.  I really don´t like what she is been doing since 2016, maybe one song or two, don´t like her pattern in interviews and imaginery, but she is likes to change so much, who knows if she can be better to my eyes on day again.

I really envy you cause I would love the feel the passion about her that I felt, I would say till 2016, quite recently. But I just can´t. I play Madame X and for me the most part for me it´s terrible. And how much did I loved Mirwais work before, God knows. The only track that brings me the Madonna vibes of before is I´ll rise. Ciao Bella has some vibes of before. And since the release of this cd, all has been a downhill.

With all respect, why you still follow her if you don't like her anymore? I get she was an important part of your life etc etc but I don't think I would actively follow an artist that I haven't liked for 6 years straight, even if she was a fave of mine before that. It's a waste of time. I would just accept I no longer connect with her and let it go and maybe check later with new albums to see if I reconnect.

Sorry, I don't mean it in a rude way at all and hope you can reconnect with her in the future. :cute:

34 minutes ago, Prayer said:

With all respect, why you still follow her if you don't like her anymore? I get she was an important part of your life etc etc but I don't think I would actively follow an artist that I haven't liked for 6 years straight, even if she was a fave of mine before that. It's a waste of time. I would just accept I no longer connect with her and let it go and maybe check later with new albums to see if I reconnect.

Sorry, I don't mean it in a rude way at all and hope you can reconnect with her in the future. :cute:

I´m waiting, as I said, if she returns to certain of the shape she had before. And I enjoy discussing her past and what other fans thinks about her, past and present. I understand that you would prefer I quit here, is that correct?

1 minute ago, Drownedboy said:

I´m waiting, as I said, if she returns to certain of the shape she had before. And I enjoy discussing her past and what other fans thinks about her, past and present. I understand that you would prefer I quit here, is that correct?

Not at all, I don't want you to quit the forum - and who am I to tell you that, anyway? No way.

I just wanted to understand where you come from with this. :) Hope she can win you and make you happy again, she's never going to be 1990, 1998, 2005 not even 2015 Madonna anymore though, that's literally impossible. But maybe she'll find a new way to combine her current self with the type of show and music she wants to make and win all the doubters again. If anyone can pull that off, it's her.