Madonna : "I want to go back on tour" - Will she? Can she?

On 8/2/2022 at 1:37 PM, RUADJAI said:

I don't think Janet has ever been terrible at any point in her life.  Maybe the production value of her shows went down, but I dont think anyone could describe Janet as terrible. 

giphy.gif

The production value dropped after the Rock Witchu Tour. The setlists started being recycled. State of the World was the beginning of slight changes but her current festival circuit setlist actually makes me excited. I think it comes down to the same issue that M has/had: her creative director/ musical director was putting her in a repetitive rut instead of trying to push her forward slightly. 

5 hours ago, vadge said:

I'm with you but at the same time, Tina Turner and Cher managed to be touring forces in their 60s and 70s. Being old and less capable isn't really the problem, it's the way Madonna (so far) hasn't found a way to evolve her staging and choreography to play with her current strengths. Instead her recent performances seem to expose on her weaknesses, although Pride 2022 could've been the first step.

Tina Turner was more about general stamina than intense choreography and gymnastics like Madonna, and Cher has always done the bare minimum - but their shows played to those strengths. To the point that there are people who genuinely believe Cher is a better performer than Madonna now. It's all about the narrative that is portrayed.

Madonna could very easily perform a typical Cher show, comprised of light skipping and being carried around the stage by dancers. Her days are far from over, it's just about how she wants to play it.

M could easily do a Kylie-style show. More emphasis on vocals with light choreo and sauntering around the stage. Plus, the only reason I use Kylie is because she's the only person (other than M) that I can think of who actually reworks her back catalogue to sound current. 

1 hour ago, Husam Elzien said:

M could easily do a Kylie-style show. More emphasis on vocals with light choreo and sauntering around the stage. Plus, the only reason I use Kylie is because she's the only person (other than M) that I can think of who actually reworks her back catalogue to sound current. 

The Kylie style would be the best route for Madonna... There is still a high level of production, effects, stage design, costumes, dancers and everything, but the dancing is limited to some elegant simple moves, and there is more emphasis given to live vocals. I've never felt that Kylie's shows lacked anything because she didn't do any spectacular dance moves, the live vocals more than made up for it.

1 hour ago, DaddyZ said:

I hear ya but also Cher and Tina could still deliver vocals, that was and is their strength. And again, they didn't go as hard on their bodies like Madonna has on all her tours. Cher and Tina are not, never were, dancers. There's a reason why dancers retire early :)

I wish Madonna would focus on her voice and playing instruments. I know she's mainly a showgirl-entertainer-dancer but I would love her her to morph into full musician mode at this stage in her life. 

Tina Turner was not a trained dancer but she was known primarily for her high-energy stage performances, particularly her dance routines with the Ikettes during her Ike & Tina days in the 1960s and 1970s. She was not a typical diva vocalist who just wore beautiful gowns while standing on stage. That's what makes her an exception since she performed stadium tours well into her 60s in the 2000s. Her vocals changed with age and naturally she lost some stamina but she was able to adjust her show without compromising the quality of entertainment. Madonna could still tour but she'd have to make major adjustments to fit her limitations.

At first glance, I'd reply 'why not'. I can't hide I'm quite intrigued and pleasantly surprised to a certain degree by this statement and it makes totally sense in the view of self-reflection moment she's going through right now, with the movie about her life, for which a tour centered on her past would be the most natural completation, and the reissues/expanded versions of her back catalogue. Given the ambiguity she's showed towards her monster hits, from total insufference to a certain interest in revisiting them which still quickly ends up to bore her, I'd bet it wouldn't be a standard GH tour with all bells and whistles, but more a show that portrays her life as she sees it through her songs, where not necessarily Like a Virgin would find its place in the sun. In my opinion, the most logic choice would be dusting off the Tears of A Clown format and polishing it a bit: it would be a phenomenal one woman show, very Dietrich-esque, with a retró taste, where musical sections are mixed up with her interacting with crowd. If I'm allowed to dream, I'd kill for a show made up with deep cuts only (Bad Girl and The Look of Love better be there and none will get hurt), rearranged in a jazzy/blues style and organized in different acts, with her singing sat on a second-hand chair, lightened by a single spotlight and wrapped in a cloud of smoke: something similar to the 1993 SNL performance. Everything completed by a live band and, if she wants, a dance troupe to give flesh and bones to her words, with choreographies inspired to Anita Berber's works (funny to say, but Madonna globally seems stepping out from 20s Berlin, so referencing to that period in one of her last tournée would be like closing a circle). With the courtesy by Stuart Price for the musical direction and David Fincher for broadcasting. I wish she could fix the things with Christopher and gave him the creative director duty. I miss his print on her performances :( 
OK, bye. This would be my idea of heaven: no fucking backup dancers, no screens, almost no lights, just her, her voice, a microphone and her dry dark humor.
Jokes and dreams apart, a show where she acts like the narrating voice and leaves the spotlights to her voice, her story, herself is the only feasible thing that comes to my mind, since I'm sure she'd rather have a finger cut than be carried on the stage like a potato sack by her dancers or lighten up her choreos because she can't dance like she used to anymore and above all I refuse to think she'd be so ingenuous to put her body at risk for the sake of dancing at all costs, especially since we're speaking of a tournée (40/50 dates at least and 2/3 continents) and not a one night-event. What is sure is that whatever she wants to do, it won't be easy, both vocally and physically, and it will require an extra dose of patience and time to be settled.