BREAK MY SOUL (THE QUEENS REMIX) - Beyoncé & Madonna

star guardian

46 minutes ago, Pootz333 said:

I think most of the world just might already have "Vogue" in their collection. It's never really gone away. For me, all the love and positivity she is getting is way more valuable than sales right now. But I've never cared much about charts. I get why others do though.

It's not about charts or sales as much as the fact it shows the song really is getting some love again.  Beyonce is a pretty big artist, so her using Madonna's song, you'd think the song would see some increases on streaming platforms if not digital sales.  Just take the Kate Bush song 'Running Up That Hill'.  A popular streaming series re-popularized that song.  I've also seen other artists songs increase streams or digital sales by the mere mention of them in films and/or television series if not other people's songs.  Also, how many of us here have; "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey or "Your Song" by Elton John in our collection?  I know I don't, but those songs were highly popular over the years, and sold millions, yet they still are in the top 40 or 100 on digital platforms.  All I'm saying is Vogue should be getting a resurgence from this!

Edited by Ch3rish (see edit history)

Break My Soul (solo version) has just made it to Billboard #1, and all of the other album tracks are in the Top100

If I understand the chart correctly, the Madonna remix will be included in the next week's numbers, this is without the M remix?

EDIT: the Madonna remix was released on August 5th, and the song hit #1 for the week ending August 4, 2022 with 18.9 million streams, 13,000 downloads, and 61.7 million audience impressions. The remixes released on August 3rd are included in these numbers.

13 minutes ago, androiduser said:

Break My Soul (solo version) has just made it to Billboard #1, and all of the other album tracks are in the Top100

If I understand the chart correctly, the Madonna remix will be included in the next week's numbers, this is without the M remix?

Don't quote me but the remix has to have more streams for it to be the one that "charts" otherwise it's just helping the original version. Add to that the remix EP she released and the album.

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Don't quote me but the remix has to have more streams for it to be the one that "charts" otherwise it's just helping the original version. Add to that the remix EP she released and the album.

I believe you are correct. Also, the original gets much radio airplay.  If anything, the mixes helped push the original to #1.  I think that is what @Prayerwas kinda getting at earlier in the thread.

2 minutes ago, Ch3rish said:

I believe you are correct. Also, the original gets much radio airplay.  If anything, the mixes helped push the original to #1.  I think that is what @Prayerwas kinda getting at earlier in the thread.

yes, on the Billboard chart all the remixes are joined with the numbers of the original and they only get a separate entry if they outperform the original. But for this week's #1, the Madonna numbers were not included, this is all solo version + previously released mixes. Before anyone starts insisting that Madonna gave Beyonce a #1 song this week.

Just now, androiduser said:

yes, on the Billboard chart all the remixes are joined with the numbers of the original and they only get a separate entry if they outperform the original. But for this week's #1, the Madonna numbers were not included, this is all solo version + previously released mixes. Before anyone starts insisting that Madonna gave Beyonce a #1 song

True!  At the same time, next week, all the remixes will help the original maintain #1 or top 5.  I'll be curious if the remix with Madonna will enter Hot 100 though? 

True!  At the same time, next week, all the remixes will help the original maintain #1 or top 5.  I'll be curious if the remix with Madonna will enter Hot 100 though? 

yes, next week the mixes will probably give it a push for another week at #1 (although not sure if there is a breakdown of which mix did the most?).

It will be interesting to see how the mix will do on the UK chart where mixes get a separate entry. The Levitating mix reached #39 in the UK

1 minute ago, androiduser said:

yes, next week the mixes will probably give it a push for another week at #1 (although not sure if there is a breakdown of which mix did the most?).

It will be interesting to see how the mix will do on the UK chart where mixes get a separate entry. The Levitating mix reached #39 in the UK

I would expect The Queens Mix probably is making the most impact on the song.  And at least, in the UK, Madonna might score another top 40 with the remix if it enters separately. 

1 minute ago, Ch3rish said:

I would expect The Queens Mix probably is making the most impact on the song.  And at least, in the UK, Madonna might score another top 40 with the remix if it enters separately. 

I definitely expect it to be a decent sized hit in the UK chart! I'd say Top20 is realistic?

Two big fan bases are certainly going to make any song or remix soar even if it's for a few days.  I'll be interested in seeing where this goes.  Beyonce hasn't yet released a music video for the song, so that will definitely contribute to the original.  She's pretty smart in how she's pacing the additional support for this song.  

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

yes, on the Billboard chart all the remixes are joined with the numbers of the original and they only get a separate entry if they outperform the original. But for this week's #1, the Madonna numbers were not included, this is all solo version + previously released mixes. Before anyone starts insisting that Madonna gave Beyonce a #1 song this week.

Lol in reality Madonna is irrelevant to this remix. I dont think Beyonce fans care Madonna is on it and it could've been any 90s dance song and they would be like YASSS QWEREEEN! It just so happened to be Vogue. It won't benefit Madonna in the slightest. 

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

Wouldn’t this chart as a separate entry? It’s labeled as involving 2 artists, with lots of extra lyrics not included in the original.

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Lol in reality Madonna is irrelevant to this remix. I dont think Beyonce fans care Madonna is on it and it could've been any 90s dance song and they would be like YASSS QWEREEEN! It just so happened to be Vogue. It won't benefit Madonna in the slightest. 

I somewhat agree with what you are saying here.  The fact there hasn't been a resurgence of Vogue or any of her other classics, prove that. If anything, it seems a lot of Madonna fans are Beyonce fans, and Beyonce used that to her advantage with this remix.  I don't fault her for that, but I think this does more for Beyonce than Madonna. 

3 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Wouldn’t this chart as a separate entry? It’s labeled as involving 2 artists, with lots of extra lyrics not included in the original.

In the UK, it definitely can.  In the U.S., I am not so sure.  I'm not an expert with the chart rules, etc.  Though, what I do know every stream/buy/play of the remix also contributes to the original mix as well.  So in other words, the original will most likely always stay ahead on the charts than the remix.  Remember, the original gets tons of airplay as well.  The remix has started get a little airplay, but it will never surpass the original.

Just now, Ch3rish said:

I somewhat agree with what you are saying here.  The fact there hasn't been a resurgence of Vogue or any of her other classics, prove that. If anything, it seems a lot of Madonna fans are Beyonce fans, and Beyonce used that to her advantage with this remix.  I don't fault her for that, but I think this does more for Beyonce than Madonna. 

Ehh...I dont think Beyonce thought much about it and just picked it since it was different enough from BMS yet similar enough that it wouldn't clash. It really could've been any 90s dance song she could've done karaoke to. If anything I think it shows how grim things are in Madonna Land that this is getting so much hype the same day she released a somewhat new song. I think had this been 10 years ago same exact song same exact lyrics Madonna fans would have a very different reaction. 

In the UK, it definitely can.  In the U.S., I am not so sure.  I'm not an expert with the chart rules, etc.  Though, what I do know every stream/buy/play of the remix also contributes to the original mix as well.  So in other words, the original will most likely always stay ahead on the charts than the remix.  Remember, the original gets tons of airplay as well.  The remix has started get a little airplay, but it will never surpass the original.

If I remember correctly, it was the S&M Remix with Britney that went #1 in the US, not Rihanna’s solo version on the album.

so I’m 99.9% certain it would be separate in the US. I believe JLO is reason for this rule change lol

6 hours ago, Nahual said:

Are you being facetious? Many of Beyonce's biggest hits fall under the Pop category. Hell, Break My Soul is clearly a dance/house POP song ffs. 

I'm not usually one of those SJW/triggered types, but I've noticed similar microaggressions on social media where some folks will say that certain artists like Rihanna or Beyonce don't count as Pop artists, with the subtle implication being that because they're Black women, their songs must go into the Hip Hop or R&B category instead of being labeled as Pop. It's annoying and just plain wrong.

I did not want to wake up this morning and have to defend Beyonce of all people, whom I find very overrated, but I felt like I had to give y'all a piece of my mind.

Chelsea Peretti Eye Roll GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

Beyoncé has ONE pop album. Her being black has got nothing to do with it. Calling Beyoncé a pop artist is like saying Madonna is a disco artist because of God control and Confessions

14 minutes ago, deathproof said:

If I remember correctly, it was the S&M Remix with Britney that went #1 in the US, not Rihanna’s solo version on the album.

so I’m 99.9% certain it would be separate in the US. I believe JLO is reason for this rule change lol

not sure what the rules were back then, but I think that in the US the numbers are added to the most successful version.... The Remix would need to outperform the original to chart separately.

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Ehh...I dont think Beyonce thought much about it and just picked it since it was different enough from BMS yet similar enough that it wouldn't clash. It really could've been any 90s dance song she could've done karaoke to. If anything I think it shows how grim things are in Madonna Land that this is getting so much hype the same day she released a somewhat new song. I think had this been 10 years ago same exact song same exact lyrics Madonna fans would have a very different reaction. 

I thought the idea of the remix came from a tiktok mashup done first and that she quickly went put an official mix together.  Apart from this and the fan reaction, it still is interesting to me that the original Vogue song hasn't seen a boost in streaming or sales because of this.  It's not like this remix is under the radar.  It's gone #1 on Itunes within hours of it's release in the biggest markets.  It surely should spill over to the original song getting some attention if not some of her classics.  I'm just saying.  :thinker:

35 minutes ago, Ch3rish said:

I thought the idea of the remix came from a tiktok mashup done first and that she quickly went put an official mix together.  Apart from this and the fan reaction, it still is interesting to me that the original Vogue song hasn't seen a boost in streaming or sales because of this.  It's not like this remix is under the radar.  It's gone #1 on Itunes within hours of it's release in the biggest markets.  It surely should spill over to the original song getting some attention if not some of her classics.  I'm just saying.  :thinker:

Lol that's what happens when it's just hype although its interesting this is Beyonce's 6th number 1 and her first in 14 years. 

34 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Lol that's what happens when it's just hype although its interesting this is Beyonce's 6th number 1 and her first in 14 years. 

Well I'm sure it being her first original solo studio album since 2016, probably played a huge role.  That and the other mixes and EP, pushed it over the top.  I'm sure this latest remix with Madonna will guarantee a second week at the top. 

• RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic