BREAK MY SOUL (THE QUEENS REMIX) - Beyoncé & Madonna

star guardian

41 minutes ago, Levon said:

The thing is quite simple: If Madonna explicitly wants to make music for TikTok/Kids, that's okay, but I don't see any reason why fans should support that, if they are horrified by that stuff and prefer a catchy Madonna tribute by Beyoncé.

It's not about anyone wanting Madonna to constantly remake Hung Up, Like a Prayer or Vogue either. She should just make good music - and oddities like Cardi Rosé, SickSick or Gwurl are really not something many fans want to remember.

Are you saying fans should boycott her ? Shouldnt we want her to improve her streaming figures and reach a younger audience ? Her streaming figures have improved since these remixes etc and i feel we should support that not boycott it because its not our cup of tea and speak for yourself and few in this forum not every fan hates the remixes 

Edited by Madge (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Madge said:

Are you saying fans should boycott her ? Shouldnt we want her to improve her streaming figures and reach a younger audience ? Her streaming figures have improved since these remixes etc and i feel we should support that not boycott it because its not our cup of tea and speak for yourself and few in this forum not every fan hates the remixes 

Everyone should support what they like. Something I don't like, I don't support. It's not that hard to understand.

I don't care about streaming numbers and TikTok likes, and I would be disappointed if Madonna's music was based primarily on that now. If her recent  remixes are an experiment to test reactions, then we should be so loyal and not lie to her - the majority of fans just don't like them.

If she makes music that touches, moves and carries the whole world along, the recognition will come by itself: Break My Soul (The Queens Remix) obviously does a lot of things right, since the remix/song has so much appeal - even from Madonna fans.

Even though I'm not an outspoken fan of his: Elton John does it far more skillfully to address a new young target group and at the same time to excite his longtime fans - instead of pushing them over the edge.

3 hours ago, Levon said:

The thing is quite simple: If Madonna explicitly wants to make music for TikTok/Kids, that's okay, but I don't see any reason why fans should support that, if they are horrified by that stuff and prefer a catchy Madonna tribute by Beyoncé.

It's not about anyone wanting Madonna to constantly remake Hung Up, Like a Prayer or Vogue either. She should just make good music - and oddities like Cardi Rosé, SickSick or Gwurl are really not something many fans want to remember.

This way of thinking is part of the problem with part of her classic fan base, if in my opinion.

Underestimating the power of TikTok as a promotional tool in 2022 or the power of streaming would be like saying in 1986 "oh, she wants to make music for MTV and radio!". You make it sound like it was a bad thing. Bad or good, is just the way it is in this day and age. You don't like it and want to disconnect from all that? That's OK. But don't ask her to do that too. There's nothing wrong in paying attention to TikTok trends AND using them to her advantage, like she did with the "Frozen" remixes or now with "Material Girl". (Beyoncé has done the same with "The Queens Remix", by the way, that was born in TikTok and she decided it to make it official).

About making "good music", that's a weird concept too. Her last studio album, "Madame X", was a complex and mature piece of work for the most part and yet almost everyone, even her fan base, didn't give a damn about it.

She can't win.

4 hours ago, Prayer said:

She can't win.

Sure she can. Some things just work well and others not so well. It would just be silly to keep repeating things that don't work well. Many of her recent projects/albums/performances have probably failed because she is obviously surrounded by too many people who don't tell her, what they really think about it.

It's okay that she has fun with TikTok memes, Instagram filters and crazy remixes - but other artists connect such PR activities more skillfully with their long-standing fan base.

8 hours ago, chaosmen1984mk said:

And I don't like her latest collaborations because she barely appears in them and I feel like I'm listening to the guest artist more than to Madonna herself, something similar to Did you do it? From the album Erotica for those who don't remember it. Not for nothing is the ugliest song and forgotten by most Madonna fans and tell me otherwise if it is not. 

Did You Do It? is a jam, it's hilarious and I NEVER skip it. I actually don't skip anything on Erotica anyway. :)

It’s really simple

name me the ten best Madonna songs from 

82-92

92-02

02-12

12-22

and see which list has the best quality 

The first two list will be incredible and hard to narrow down 

The third list will have some good songs but only a few that could stand up to the first two list. 

The fourth list will mostly be album tracks and won’t stand up to list three and can’t even see lists one and two from  where is stands. 

Thems just the facts girls. 

Madonna is still Incredible and there is much to still love…but… the overall accessibility, melodic sensibility and quality and consistency of her output has  lessened. 

Don’t get me wrong. I’m still here and I’m still eating it up because I’m invested in the woman now and I ain’t a fair weather fan. The journey is fascinating but the music … it’s more challenging. But I do think this has been her choice in many ways. 

Madame X and Rebel Heart were bold and ambitious but from her own mouth she wasn’t really feeling the need to make those records. I think after revisiting her back catalogue and having fun again which she clearly is she’ll be in a place to make another POP masterpiece. It just feels like the timing is right. 

6 hours ago, steady75 said:

It’s really simple

name me the ten best Madonna songs from 

82-92

92-02

02-12

12-22

But I don't think that's a fair way of looking at it. You cannot compare recent songs, however good they might be, to tracks you have 20+ years of emotional connection to (as probably most fans on here do). Nothing will ever resonate with you the way the music of your formative years did. It's not so much question of quality as it is of nostalgia. :)

12 hours ago, Levon said:

Everyone should support what they like. Something I don't like, I don't support. It's not that hard to understand.

I don't care about streaming numbers and TikTok likes, and I would be disappointed if Madonna's music was based primarily on that now. If her recent  remixes are an experiment to test reactions, then we should be so loyal and not lie to her - the majority of fans just don't like them.

If she makes music that touches, moves and carries the whole world along, the recognition will come by itself: Break My Soul (The Queens Remix) obviously does a lot of things right, since the remix/song has so much appeal - even from Madonna fans.

Even though I'm not an outspoken fan of his: Elton John does it far more skillfully to address a new young target group and at the same time to excite his longtime fans - instead of pushing them over the edge.

Yeah that sausage roll song elton did was a classic and i really wish madonna would go down that road 

I am okay with anything she puts out as long as she keeps her studio albums strong and tight. What really bothered me was the huge droughts we used to get between albums with no music release whatsoever. What's so bad about hearing Madonna's voice on any new or semi new track every now and then?

1 hour ago, kesiak said:

But I don't think that's a fair way to look at it. You cannot compare recent songs, however good they might be, to tracks you have 20+ years of emotional connection too (as probably most fans on here do). Nothing will ever resonate with you the way the music of your formative years did. It's not so much question of quality as it is of nostalgia. :)

Maybe but I’m a fan of many other artists some of whom I thinks later day material is superior or of equal quality. 
I honestly believe In another ten years time we’ll look back on the last 15 years and view it as a period where the quality dipped. I’m utterly  convinced she has better in her yet to come. Which is why I’ll always be here. 
She’s just been heavily distracted and been poorly advised at times. Her heart has been with her kids and that is exactly as it should be. The fact that she still feeds us keeps me ever grateful, but objectively the music has suffered as a result and I  don’t feel the need to lower my standards. I’m a music nerd and … yeah it’s been patchy. 

17 minutes ago, androiduser said:

it will go easier with some Champagne Rose

That song never got a video i dont even know what it was other than a experimental thing ! Glad madonna comes out of her comfort zone and experiments in the studio unlike elton john who has been doing a farewell tour for the last 20 years ! If madonna ever makes a video as cringe worthy as that sausage roll duet he did i think i would quit being a madonna fan ! Im all for tongue and cheek but that was just awful and he looked awful in the video too ! I still have flashbacks from watching it :(

48 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Maybe but I’m a fan of many other artists some of whom I thinks later day material is superior or of equal quality. 
I honestly believe In another ten years time we’ll look back on the last 15 years and view it as a period where the quality dipped. I’m utterly  convinced she has better in her yet to come. Which is why I’ll always be here. 
She’s just been heavily distracted and been poorly advised at times. Her heart has been with her kids and that is exactly as it should be. The fact that she still feeds us keeps me ever grateful, but objectively the music has suffered as a result and I  don’t feel the need to lower my standards. I’m a music nerd and … yeah it’s been patchy. 

All of this. And I don't need the 10 years to look back and see it. It is what it is.

48 minutes ago, steady75 said:

I think it seems like the quality has dropped but really i just think she has been making albums to support a tour and not the other way around ! Mdna worked well on stage and rebel heart did too and madame x was clearly made for a small show ! I dont know whats next for madonna with music because she has no contract to make more music so she can just do as she pleases and i think that is what she is doing ! Shes having fun and she deserves it 

On 8/11/2022 at 7:11 AM, thegoldencalf said:

Beyoncé fans are busy supporting her because they’re aligned in taste with what she’s putting out. 
Meanwhile Madonna has done an album that most of her fans didn’t enjoy and all these side projects that are catered to an audience outside her fan base. 
Also her fans are older and have specific expectations. While Beyoncé also caters to a younger audience that’s more open to embrace experimentation.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying.

I'd add that M fans too were once very open to what was considered 'experimental' during previous parts of her career.

We are just more fatigued, I'd say; a side-effect of an unusually long career.

Let's see what Beyonce is still releasing in 23 years, right?

7 hours ago, Blue Prince said:

I am okay with anything she puts out as long as she keeps her studio albums strong and tight. What really bothered me was the huge droughts we used to get between albums with no music release whatsoever. What's so bad about hearing Madonna's voice on any new or semi new track every now and then?

On the flipside, there's something to be gained by having an inspiring break and coming back strong and fresh.

M's albums used to come out in quick succession because her contractual obligations required a new one every X years.

Less can be more. That's a lesson M can learn from Beyonce when it comes to releases and content in between releases.

2 minutes ago, DickTracy said:

The Queens Remix is now her #7 most popular song on Amazon Music, behind Vogue (Immaculate Collection) and La Isla Bonita album version. Material Gworll is at #15 behind 4 Minutes album version. 

Clink clink, gworls! We're winning. :D

:Madonna054:

On 8/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, Ch3rish said:

I'm convinced that the Remix won't chart in the manner some fans are hoping.  At the same time, we might see it chart on some of dance charts

It's more probably going to be a Spotify/playlist track, a kind of cult fave that bonds two fanbases together and surely a lipsync classic in the making. "Lalalala lalalalalala"

On 8/10/2022 at 6:19 PM, Ch3rish said:

Not a "theory".  Vogue should have increased in streams and sales.  If Queens Remix has gone beyond the M's fan base, then it should have seen a spike.  Maybe it will in time, but in a lot of cases when something big comes along and either uses an artist's song (such as Kate Bush's from Stranger Things), etc., the song gets a boosts.  Beyonce' is a very popular artist, so I would have thought Vogue the song should have started trending and gotten some sales/streams attention.  But there is Nada!  Nothing!  That is a bit peculiar, don't you think?  A massive song like Vogue being used in a song by a massive star like Beyonce' should have gotten some attention  beyond the remix. 

Not sure about that. Vogue is such a popular song, not in the sense that everybody loves, but everybody knows more or less. It was a HUGE hit, a turning point in pop music, as big as Thriller by MJ or Despacito later: you could hear it everywhere for a long time. It's so familiar most people won't have to go back to it, even M fans, especially with this remix that mashes up quite simply Break My Soul with Vogue at first listen.

Yet the structure of the remix is very different from each original song.

The Vogue samples are highly recognizable, barely reworked with a lo-fi touch, whereas the BMS elements are blended among bells & whistles and the new vocals, which bring a new meaning to the lyrics. It's not an emancipation anthem anymore, it's a tribute on several levels (from B to M, from M to B, from B to the ladies in the house) and at the same time unapologetic, plain, satisfying fan service.

So maybe you wish people went back to Vogue, I also root for people enjoying this Vogue rewrite.

57 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Not sure about that. Vogue is such a popular song, not in the sense that everybody loves, but everybody knows more or less. It was a HUGE hit, a turning point in pop music, as big as Thriller by MJ or Despacito later: you could hear it everywhere for a long time. It's so familiar most people won't have to go back to it, even M fans, especially with this remix that mashes up quite simply Break My Soul with Vogue at first listen.

Yet the structure of the remix is very different from each original song.

The Vogue samples are highly recognizable, barely reworked with a lo-fi touch, whereas the BMS elements are blended among bells & whistles and the new vocals, which bring a new meaning to the lyrics. It's not an emancipation anthem anymore, it's a tribute on several levels (from B to M, from M to B, from B to the ladies in the house) and at the same time unapologetic, plain, satisfying fan service.

So maybe you wish people went back to Vogue, I also root for people enjoying this Vogue rewrite.

This is true