BREAK MY SOUL (THE QUEENS REMIX) - Beyoncé & Madonna

star guardian

4 hours ago, PlayPause said:

Not sure about that. Vogue is such a popular song, not in the sense that everybody loves, but everybody knows more or less. It was a HUGE hit, a turning point in pop music, as big as Thriller by MJ or Despacito later: you could hear it everywhere for a long time. It's so familiar most people won't have to go back to it, even M fans, especially with this remix that mashes up quite simply Break My Soul with Vogue at first listen.

Yet the structure of the remix is very different from each original song.

The Vogue samples are highly recognizable, barely reworked with a lo-fi touch, whereas the BMS elements are blended among bells & whistles and the new vocals, which bring a new meaning to the lyrics. It's not an emancipation anthem anymore, it's a tribute on several levels (from B to M, from M to B, from B to the ladies in the house) and at the same time unapologetic, plain, satisfying fan service.

So maybe you wish people went back to Vogue, I also root for people enjoying this Vogue rewrite.

Nah, I just wanted to see the song to get some love on it's own as well.  I enjoy this remix, but only because it samples Madonna.  I'm not really interested in the Beyonce song itself.  I do think the rap she re-did is cool though. 

Ok, i finally listened to the remix in full (i had only listen to it while doing something else) and, seriously, don't tell me this is great. It does not sound professional at all. It's out of synch and tune most of the time, the tracks don't blend and the ending is a listening nightmare. Who did that remix ? Even Beyoncé's voice is absolutely not mastered well, it sounds like she's singing in a mike while the backtrack comes from a tape player. Mess. It's almost like those fanmade remix from the early 90's on these unofficial italian CD's (i'm talking about the Dear Jessie Joyeux Noel remix for example).

8 minutes ago, Roland Barthes said:

Ok, i finally listened to the remix in full (i had only listen to it while doing something else) and, seriously, don't tell me this is great. It does not sound professional at all. It's out of synch and tune most of the time, the tracks don't blend and the ending is a listening nightmare. Who did that remix ? Even Beyoncé's voice is absolutely not mastered well and it sound slike she's singing in a mike while the backtrack comes from a tape player. Mess.

It certainly sounds far from perfect and... rushed? (which it probably was) but as someone mentioned before, it's supposed to have that underground bootleg mix feel.

13 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It certainly sounds far from perfect and... rushed? (which it probably was) but as someone mentioned before, it's supposed to have that underground bootleg mix feel.

Oh ? I did not know. In that case it's a triumph because it does. It. Does. Hahaha

If there is any fandom that knows a fabulous shitty bootleg when they hear it, it's the Madonna fandom. Out of tune, no key to be found, vocals sounding like they were recorded in a submarine. We're the same people that have dance versions of "Promise To Try" and "You Must Love Me" in our libraries. Let's let Beyonka live a little.

2 hours ago, Askeroff said:

Billboard Hot 100: #1(=) BREAK MY SOUL,

Beyonce [8 weeks]. *second week at #1

Beyonce's "BREAK MY SOUL" earns its biggest US digital sales week to date, with 36,000 sold following the QUEENS REMIX with Madonna  (up 174%)

So then we can finally say it worked for Beyoncé on keeping the #1 for a second week or that's still a taboo topic?

(It's working for Madonna too, she's got a new monthly listeners peak on Spotify).

15 minutes ago, Prayer said:

So then we can finally say it worked for Beyoncé on keeping the #1 for a second week or that's still a taboo topic?

(It's working for Madonna too, she's got a new monthly listeners peak on Spotify).

the remix has definitely helped, but we'd need a breakdown of how much the original sold and how much the remix sold....

22 minutes ago, Prayer said:

It's safely to say the remix helped.  But I agree a break down  of how much the original and the remix sold would be nice.  The remix is falling into oblivion now, so obviously, Madonna fans who ordinarily don't buy Beyonce as well as her own fans who love Madonna, bought and streamed the hell out of this.  Which explains to me why the original Vogue song didn't get much of a boost because of this remix.

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

the remix has definitely helped, but we'd need a breakdown of how much the original sold and how much the remix sold....

According to Billboard:

Last week (first week at #1): 18.9 million streams, 13.000 downloads and 61.7 million audience impressions (radio I guess)

This week (https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/beyonce-break-my-soul-second-week-atop-hot-100-1235126710/):

“Break My Soul,” released on Parkwood/Columbia Records, drew 65.2 million radio airplay audience impressions (up 7%) and 14.5 million streams (down 23%) and sold 36,000 downloads (up 174% – as the song wins the Hot 100’s top Sales Gainer award for a second week) in the Aug. 5-11 tracking week, according to Luminate.

Still strong without the remix, especially on radio, but the streams went down quite a lot (23%) in the second week, so the downloads increase thanks for the remix was very welcome for the chart position, I guess. I don't know how much each of them counts, though.

Maybe she would have been #1 for a second week anyway. We'll never know.

From chart data on Twitter, the remix definitely helped BSM to have its best week in pure sales in the US so far:

17 hours ago, Prayer said:

According to Billboard:

Last week (first week at #1): 18.9 million streams, 13.000 downloads and 61.7 million audience impressions (radio I guess)

This week (https://www.billboard.com/music/chart-beat/beyonce-break-my-soul-second-week-atop-hot-100-1235126710/):

“Break My Soul,” released on Parkwood/Columbia Records, drew 65.2 million radio airplay audience impressions (up 7%) and 14.5 million streams (down 23%) and sold 36,000 downloads (up 174% – as the song wins the Hot 100’s top Sales Gainer award for a second week) in the Aug. 5-11 tracking week, according to Luminate.

Still strong without the remix, especially on radio, but the streams went down quite a lot (23%) in the second week, so the downloads increase thanks for the remix was very welcome for the chart position, I guess. I don't know how much each of them counts, though.

Maybe she would have been #1 for a second week anyway. We'll never know.

From chart data on Twitter, the remix definitely helped BSM to have its best week in pure sales in the US so far:

digital song sales chart is out and M is not credited , so Bey effectively used M fans to get a second week at #1 :lord:

1 hour ago, Prayer said:

And others prefer not to look at the actual facts and figures. The remix helped “Break My Soul” to have its greatest week so far in sales in the US. That’s not a fan narrative, it’s factual.

Yes, and Madonna's name is both in the song and in the performer credit.

50 minutes ago, kesiak said:

Nobody's disputing that. But how is it hurting Madonna exactly? :)

Personally I never said it was hurting her, of course, actually I think it's cool and good for her, obviously. She's reached a new monthly listeners peak on Spotify so I'm sure the remix it's helping her too somehow these days.

But then why some people here get defensive when we bring out the other part, the remix obviously helping Beyoncé too? I just don't get that. Shouldn't we all be happy that a Madonna song is helping Beyoncé too somehow?

That's my only point, I never attacked B or said she was shady, bla bla. I totally respect her as an artist.