MADONNA & STUART PRICE DISCUSS HUNG UP ~ OUT NOW

Shoful

6 hours ago, Vasili said:

Loved this episode. It was short but oh-so sweet.

My fave part was hearing them talk about playing the Hung Up instrumental during a DJ gig in Australia.

I've mentioned this before but I was there the night he played it and I distinctly remember him holding up his phone.

By the way, for anyone that may have missed it, I recommend this Stuart Price playlist:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2yvp8pUPRKYEk4RDXxdRZQ?si=14555782abec44b6

I'm trying to look for photos or even videos of that time he played there. I believe he played it for Sydney's Good Vibrations Festivals. It would've been great to hear the first drafts of it.

5 hours ago, Enrico said:

Is it possible that he is referring to two different meetings/steps?

1) The assistant delivers the "nice little letter" (Angela?)

2) "So she came over" (Madonna?) to play the record

After all, he says it was "herself", not through lawyers.

That's how I took it.

9 hours ago, Piksel8 said:

I'm trying to look for photos or even videos of that time he played there. I believe he played it for Sydney's Good Vibrations Festivals. It would've been great to hear the first drafts of it.

He was down for the Good Vibrations Festival but also played a side-gig at a small Melbourne club.

That's what I went to because I wanted to hear a longer set not intended for the masses, y'know?

I'll never forget hearing the sample and him having his phone up, 'cause it was unusual for 2005.

Hope we get more of these types of interviews all throughout the reissue process. Number one, the perception of her not being a songwriter or having a musical ear is quite prevalent among the younger generation and so these producers help to dispel that myth. It's also just interesting to hear. I'd love to hear about difficulties they had, times they had a hard time creating a hook and how they got through writers' block. How many versions of songs are usually created along the way, etc. 

1 hour ago, Vasili said:

He was down for the Good Vibrations Festival but also played a side-gig at a small Melbourne club.

That's what I went to because I wanted to hear a longer set not intended for the masses, y'know?

I'll never forget hearing the sample and him having his phone up, 'cause it was unusual for 2005.

can you recall if there was a distinct difference to the instrumental vs to the actual instrumental in the final version. I know between the demos they had to rework and drop musical channel/layers. But i assume for hung up at that time, they haven't gotten Abba's approval yet so it was almost like he was there to play a remix of Gimme gimme gimme, when in reality it was pending Madonna single.

17 hours ago, Enrico said:

Is it possible that he is referring to two different meetings/steps?

1) The assistant delivers the "nice little letter" (Angela?)

2) "So she came over" (Madonna?) to play the record

After all, he says it was "herself", not through lawyers.

he means the assistant came over with the record.... but the interviewer misunderstands that it was Madonna herself, so he's surprised. Benny Andersson was talking about the (female) assistant, hence the confusion. And by "herself" he meant that Madonna asked herself (in the letter), not through lawyers. He never mentions meeting Madonna, in any of the interviews about the song.

9 hours ago, Piksel8 said:

can you recall if there was a distinct difference to the instrumental vs to the actual instrumental in the final version. I know between the demos they had to rework and drop musical channel/layers. But i assume for hung up at that time, they haven't gotten Abba's approval yet so it was almost like he was there to play a remix of Gimme gimme gimme, when in reality it was pending Madonna single.

Yeh, pretty much!

I remember it was a long mix without any vocals and that it was a 'souped-up' version of the Gimme! sample.

Whenever I listen to the SDP Extended Dub of Hung Up, it sounds very similar to what we danced to that night.

That was in February 2005. Flash forward to October 2005 and I'm in NYC at the end of a four-month backpacking trip.

I'm at The Roxy watching Stuart DJ again, this time with M dancing in front of me to the official remix including vocals.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:52 AM, Vasili said:

Here's a montage I spliced together of some of the clips I recorded that night.

Please don't distribute it or reupload it anywhere else.

Hidden Content

My goodness, thank you so much. I love how the base just went nuts for the tracks they played. Getting so emotional seeing her old team (gina and angela) behind her during those good old organic years.

10 hours ago, Piksel8 said:

My goodness, thank you so much. I love how the base just went nuts for the tracks they played. Getting so emotional seeing her old team (gina and angela) behind her during those good old organic years.

You're welcome!

Sorry about the orientation but I didn't wanna compromise the quality by rotating it, or mess around with it too much.

Yeh, such good times. It was kind of the last time she was brilliant on every single level, imo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What I found most interesting in this interview is that it's always seemed like she was desperate for another American radio hit after American Life underperformed, but they make it sound like she made a deliberate decision not to release a song that would be well-received by US radio. Was that her way of saying "F you" to American radio after they shunned her during the American Life era? It's also interesting that she would do a 180 three years later and work with the likes of Justin Timberlake and Timbaland.