The remixers interview

Enrico

7 hours ago, Enrico said:

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/madonna-remixes-producers-interview-1235129528/

What’s It Like to Remix a Madonna Song? Four Producers Share Their ‘Proud,’ ‘Scary,’ ‘Life-Changing’ Experiences

Tony McGuinness of Above & Beyond, William Orbit, Tracy Young and Shep Pettibone, all featured on the new Madonna remix compilation, reflect on editing the Queen of Pop.

I love shep so much

6 hours ago, Prayer said:

Tracy Young seems like the nicest person, really. While she's not my fave M remixer at all, she has a cool energy and love the way she talks about her.

I wholeheartedly agree. I am not her biggest fan but she gives solid, creative effort in her remixes and the times I have seen her live she gets the crowd going wild while also being totally approachable and a sweetheart. 

7 hours ago, Prayer said:

Tracy Young seems like the nicest person, really. While she's not my fave M remixer at all, she has a cool energy and love the way she talks about her.

Yeah me too, her mixes can be a bit hit and miss but I'm just listening to her Nothing Fails remix and I really love it. She always brings something a bit different to each mix. Plus it's nice to see a woman succeeding in a male dominated environment.

I love that M has championed her so much. 

If you listen to Shep he came up with everything....if you listen to his past collaborators like Anthony Shimkin and Junior Vasquez, they'll tell you that most of his remixes were done by the sound engineers (Vasquez, Shimkin, Goh Hotoda, Moskovitz, Tony Moran...) because he was too busy which Jane Briton (his ex manager) confirmed. I like also when he says he came up with the Erotica Lyrics when he told Madonna to use the photos from her book as inspiration and then says he had nothing to do with the book while recording and only saw it when it was released.

1 minute ago, Roland Barthes said:

If you listen to Shep he came up with everything....if you listen to his past collaborators like Anthony Shimkin and Junior Vasquez, they'll tell you that most of his remixes were done by the sound engineers (Vasquez, Shimkin, Goh Hotoda, Moskovitz, Tony Moran...) because he was too busy which Jane Briton (his ex manager) confirmed. I like also when he says he came up with the Erotica Lyrics when he told Madonna to use the photos from her book as inspiration and then says he had nothing to do with the book while recording and only saw it when it was released.

I totally respect Shep for his artistry and his vision but this interview by Toni Shimkin left me very cold towards him as a person:

https://www.madonnatribe.com/idol/tony_shimkin.htm

MT: Which one of the songs on Erotica is your favourite and why?

TS: When the album was originally released I was told by Shep I had to choose only one song to put my name on as a writer, knowing what I know now I would have said no it's all or start over on your own.

So with that I chose Deeper and Deeper because I knew it would be a hit. It's hard to say now but I might choose Rain because I love the rise that comes with the portamento synth and how it takes you into the bridge and lifts you up, but then again the Video may have inspired that answer.

Dirty.

Great article. Thanks for sharing it here. 

I remember that A&B were unknown prior to the WIFLFAG video mix, but I had no idea it was so specifically mixed for the video, or that it was what inspired the video itself. I'm surprised they didn't mention that the video single being released after MTV banned it. 

I've always loved WO's work with Madonna. Even MDNA. 

TY's mixes aren't usually my cup, but I don't hate them. 

Shep's sound was so all over the place, not sonically, but literally: on the radio, MTV, the clubs (which I was too young to go to at the time), but there is still a unique sound that he achieved with Madonna's songs that I instantly fell in love with. And its why his Immaculate Collection mixes still sound timeless, save for the QSound effects. 

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

I totally respect Shep for his artistry and his vision but this interview by Toni Shimkin left me very cold towards him as a person:

https://www.madonnatribe.com/idol/tony_shimkin.htm

MT: Which one of the songs on Erotica is your favourite and why?

TS: When the album was originally released I was told by Shep I had to choose only one song to put my name on as a writer, knowing what I know now I would have said no it's all or start over on your own.

So with that I chose Deeper and Deeper because I knew it would be a hit. It's hard to say now but I might choose Rain because I love the rise that comes with the portamento synth and how it takes you into the bridge and lifts you up, but then again the Video may have inspired that answer.

Dirty.

Because he was so high profile and so much in demand (not as much as Jellybean was in the 80's) because of his Kiss FM weekly show, a lot of dj's worked with him for free for visibility. It's hard to say which remix he really had his hands on and which remix he did not, i bet he really did work on Madonna's but most of the time he let his engineers finish the job. 

I wonder if having all her producers coming back to talk about their work together and Madonna saying in Paper that her albums are as much her work as theirs, hints at them having been asked to work on the remasterings. Imagine having full interviews about the making of each allbums and the original co-producer supervising the remasters !

Shep. 🙄 How rude! I’m sure he was very embittered when she chose not to work with him beyond Erotica, but I find it extremely arrogant and ugly that he is being interviewed to discuss his commissioned work with an artist as a remixer, but instead tries to inflate his creative self-importance, all while denigrating the source material and the actual artist. Someone needs a hug. It might be subtle, but I second the bad vibes detector.