Erotica Picture Disc Reissue - October 21, 2022

3 hours ago, PlayPause said:

Theoretically, vinyls, cds and releases on streaming (High Res and higher) should be mastered separately. If you rip a vinyl and burn it on CD, it will sound like shit. On the contrary, vinyl is so limited sonically that when you press material mastered for digital media, you get the infamously unlistenable American Life vinyl.

The American Life vinyl sounds insanely good. You just need above average equipment for it to sound that way

6 hours ago, Simonsays said:

revolver is quite possibly her worst mastered song ever with love spent coming a close second and its not a bad track but omg i cant even listen to its because its so bad in terms of mastering - infact the mdna version sounds better - i don't like celebration album because of its poor quality mastering but i love the song celebration and i agree about the mastering on FEL .you know its a good remaster when it gives the song new life..Music remix is perfect and express yourself too 

Your Honesty's mastering is pretty awful too.

And while we're at it, did Stuart intend to distort the bass that much for Let It Will Be (Paper Faces Mix)?

7 hours ago, Vasili said:

And while we're at it, did Stuart intend to distort the bass that much for Let It Will Be (Paper Faces Mix)?

Of course ! It's an effect.

Do you think he listens to his remix and didn't ear that ? Come on... He did the track.

Then, many people here get confused with mastering and mixing. And problem for some people seem to be the mixing and not the mastering. The explanation of @PlayPause is very good BTW.

7 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

The American Life vinyl sounds insanely good. You just need above average equipment for it to sound that way

If so, it's not good at all. Good engeneer listen to their mastering on shitty ghettoblasters (or cheap turntable) sometimes to make sure the sound keep on being good. A good mastering should be good anytime.

I don't say anything about AL lp I haven't played for a while but I don't have any bad memories about that.

6 hours ago, shakeyerdix said:

If so, it's not good at all. Good engeneer listen to their mastering on shitty ghettoblasters (or cheap turntable) sometimes to make sure the sound keep on being good. A good mastering should be good anytime.

I don't say anything about AL lp I haven't played for a while but I don't have any bad memories about that.

3 hours ago, New_Boy said:

Oh, right, I didn't know vinyl is only for rich people to enjoy, but I imagine Madonna the billionaire would approve of this message!

Im not rich and neither are most people that have a setup that can handle the AL vinyl. And every record will sound pretty bad on a cheap turntable. There’s no point in playing records if one can’t afford a decent setup. 
Discogs is full of bad reviews for great sounding albums from people who don’t have the right equipment.

Overall Madonnas discography on vinyl sounds absolutely amazing compared to other pop artists. Even the botched reissues are decent.

5 minutes ago, Simonsays said:

im not a record collector but i bought this because its just sooo cute - i do hope they are remastered - erotica is a album that desperately needs it 

The tracklist appears as "2022 Remaster" on Amazon Spain:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B0BDMZQNB8

Let's see. It will be great if the release it digitally too, as "Erotica (30th Anniversary)" or something like that. The Instrumental deserves to be on digital platforms.

6 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

During MuchMusic's 1993 Madonnathon she had an Erotica video single on display with full cover artwork behind them  and I was convinced it was out and harassed the people at HMV to order it for me.  Of course they weren't able to find it in their systems.  Then I called MuchMusic (numerous times) and asked them about it and they said it was a promo item from Warner Music Canada. I wonder how many of these video singles were actually printed and went out. What a missed opportunity.

17 hours ago, Vasili said:

I hate that distortion so bad, the Edit is marginally better than the Full Mix. At least we have the tour studio rehearsal, would love an instrumental of that with the album vocals over as she kind of sounds like she's singing whilst sat atop a washing machine going full pelt

19 hours ago, Vasili said:

Yes, as @shakeyerdixalready said. I love it.

Same for Voices on Hard Candy : the distortion is h-e-a-v-y but it's a choice they made. I hate it.

20 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Not all editions I believe. I use a good sound system, not high end but above average ;-)

Mine (2003 European edition* I found 10 years ago, mint and sealed) sounds really saturated whereas the CD sounds sharp and cold like many electroclash releases from the early 2000s. But I have bought a new (more expensive) stylus a couple of months ago, so I'll give AL a spin as I'm not sure I've thought of it. I quit listening to this vinyl after 2 or 3 times.

* Many Discogs comments complain about "sibilance" on this pressing.

20 hours ago, Simonsays said:

the mdna tour version of revolver which is better sounding than the studio version on celebration 

Of course, you can like one recording better than the other, but mastering is not what you're talking about.

You can't compare the mastering of 2 different sources. Of course, live records are always tricky because they include live vocals from a stage mike, vocals retakes, redubs or playback from studio / rehearsing sessions, live and pre-recorded instruments plus ambient mikes for the crowd.

In that sense, without talking about mastering, it's very interesting to compare how M voice sounds on her different albums : on Erotica, she sung with a Shure SM57, a cheap and common stage mike that flattens frequencies and brings its very specific, almost muffled sound, whereas she used high end studio mikes on the other albums (average mike on the first album, because she was on a small budget, vs. mikes designed for classical and opera on Evita for example). But this also another story...

The final sound of a song relies on so much more than good or bad mastering.

22 hours ago, Vasili said:

Yes he did, with pristine vocals. Something different happened with Voices, with distorted bass and vocals. And that was probably because of bad mastering by Demo.