Erotica Picture Disc Reissue - October 21, 2022

1 hour ago, LongIslandTea said:

The centre hole is perfect BUT all 3 backing cards are not in good condition.

Picture disc 1 & 2 - Upper right corner backing card slightly creased

Picture disc 3 - Upper left corner backing card slightly creased

Should I return these back to Amazon?

I would. It's nice to have a pristine copy, plus there's so many issues that true mint copies are going to be worth more in the future. 

• RUADJAI unfeatured this topic
16 hours ago, Tex20 said:

Original ORLAKE pressing compared to Reissue 

I have compared my original ORLAKE pressing of EROTICA with the recent reissue. At a glance, I can see some 'visual' differences between them at a surface level. These are just my own observations. There may be more that others notice.
(I'm not looking at codes or logos etc...)

Original EROTICA picture disc
- colour of disc has a more purple tint
- disc has thinner black rim
- the detail in the picture disc is slightly sharper
- backing insert image is slightly sharper (seems better resolution)
- the gold border on the insert looks a little like a metallic gold

Original EROTICA promo store display
- backing insert image is slightly sharper
- colour of image has a more purple tint
- the gold border on the insert is lighter tint

Reissue EROTICA picture disc
- colour of disc has more of a blue tint
- disc has thicker black rim
- the whites on the disc are blown out more, like the image has a higher exposure
- the backing insert looks slightly blurrier than the original (could be a scan of the original)
- the gold border on the insert is darker tint

EROTICA Pic Disc & Flats.jpg

EROTICA promo flats.jpg

You have the original one??? 

Not gonna get all preachy or anything, and everyone has the right to purchase and return as many copies of this picture disc as they want, but all that back and forth on trucks, planes, and the fact that the copy will get even more destroyed in the process... over a 1 millimeter rip or a slight crease is... mind-boggling to me. Of course we need to demand better standards of production on everything, but that's literally so minor.

9 hours ago, New_Boy said:

Not gonna get all preachy or anything, and everyone has the right to purchase and return as many copies of this picture disc as they want, but all that back and forth on trucks, planes, and the fact that the copy will get even more destroyed in the process... over a 1 millimeter rip or a slight crease is... mind-boggling to me. Of course we need to demand better standards of production on everything, but that's literally so minor.

Well the thing is that this is a picture disc so it’s value is primarily aesthetic. So I it’s more important to look pristine than a regular record.

I got three records. They all have some sort of defect. I managed to mix a better looking record with a backing paper that only has a small crease on the bottom. And I’m done. Unless I find it in a store completely pristine

19 hours ago, Ayham said:

So after observing both copies, overall which one is better?

I haven't played the vinyl so I'm not comparing audio but from a collector's perspective (and in my opinion), the original ORLAKE pressing is better, both aesthetically and in terms of production. A picture disc's desirability is generally based on its aesthetic value. The biggest problem with most re-issues is that they tend to have lower quality imagery. The record company doesn't always use the master artwork so they end up having to scan a printed cover which results in colour washout, over exposure and lower resolution or blurrier images. I can't say if that's what's happened here but to my eyes there is a discernible difference.

I've noticed this same issue with many of Madonna's vinyl LP reissues and more recently on the 'Who's That Girl - Super Club Mix' red vinyl 12". The image is blurry, the colours washed out and the image has been strangely cropped. I have the 'Who's That Girl' UK picture disc promo insert and that is super sharp and clean in comparison and has richer, brighter colours which makes me wonder who is currently in charge of the quality control at Warner Bros. 

As you know, this can also happen with the sound. Some re-issues also have inferior sound because they are not using the original source tapes and they haven't remastered it properly. It's a shame that production values at Warner Bros. have dropped in recent times even though technology has improved. So for me, the original is usually the best.

8 hours ago, Tex20 said:

I haven't played the vinyl so I'm not comparing audio but from a collector's perspective (and in my opinion), the original ORLAKE pressing is better, both aesthetically and in terms of production. A picture disc's desirability is generally based on its aesthetic value. The biggest problem with most re-issues is that they tend to have lower quality imagery. The record company doesn't always use the master artwork so they end up having to scan a printed cover which results in colour washout, over exposure and lower resolution or blurrier images. I can't say if that's what's happened here but to my eyes there is a discernible difference.

I've noticed this same issue with many of Madonna's vinyl LP reissues and more recently on the 'Who's That Girl - Super Club Mix' red vinyl 12". The image is blurry, the colours washed out and the image has been strangely cropped. I have the 'Who's That Girl' UK picture disc promo insert and that is super sharp and clean in comparison and has richer, brighter colours which makes me wonder who is currently in charge of the quality control at Warner Bros. 

As you know, this can also happen with the sound. Some re-issues also have inferior sound because they are not using the original source tapes and they haven't remastered it properly. It's a shame that production values at Warner Bros. have dropped in recent times even though technology has improved. So for me, the original is usually the best.

I've noticed this with many reissued albums... so how they used to make such an artwork back in the days, without photoshop & editing programs? I'm surprised how come they don't have the original photos in proper quality? Especially the WTG, that session is available in very good quality everywhere.

I'm so happy with what Kylie did with her IP 25th LP, the artwork looks soooo gorgeous & veryyy clear.

On 10/31/2022 at 12:55 PM, Tex20 said:

Original ORLAKE pressing compared to Reissue 

I have compared my original ORLAKE pressing of EROTICA with the recent reissue. At a glance, I can see some 'visual' differences between them at a surface level. These are just my own observations. There may be more that others notice.
(I'm not looking at codes or logos etc...)

Original EROTICA picture disc
- colour of disc has a more purple tint
- disc has thinner black rim
- the detail in the picture disc is slightly sharper
- backing insert image is slightly sharper (better / sharper resolution)
- the gold border on the insert looks a little like a metallic gold

Original EROTICA promo store display
- backing insert image is slightly sharper
- colour of image has a more purple tint
- the gold border on the insert is lighter tint

Reissue EROTICA picture disc
- colour of disc has more of a blue tint
- disc has thicker black rim
- the whites on the disc are blown out more, like the image has a higher exposure
- the backing insert looks slightly blurrier than the original (could be a scan of the original)
- the gold border on the insert is darker tint

EROTICA Pic Disc & Flats.jpg

EROTICA promo flats.jpg

The reissue has a deeper blue tone and brighter whites compared to the two, which I like. Looks nice. :D

19 hours ago, Ayham said:

I've noticed this with many reissued albums... so how they used to make such an artwork back in the days, without photoshop & editing programs? I'm surprised how come they don't have the original photos in proper quality? Especially the WTG, that session is available in very good quality everywhere.

I'm so happy with what Kylie did with her IP 25th LP, the artwork looks soooo gorgeous & veryyy clear.

Yes, it really puzzles me that the Warner Bros. label doesn't give her latest releases and reissues the attention to detail I would expect. With such large budgets her, record company seems to be taking short cuts. It really doesn't make sense to me especially when you see other labels are doing great things for their artists / acts.

5 hours ago, ScottyX said:

They know we will buy it regardless. There's no need for effort on their part. Easy money grab. We will complain about this or that but still purchase lol

We are like sheep.

Well that’s not quite so. Because if several copies are being returned it cuts into their profits.

3 minutes ago, ScottyX said:

Yes, I wasn't referring to defects. I mean overall product lacking extras or imagination.

Well I think that’s a general issue fans have with the labels. Unfortunately they don’t seek input from fans and fail to deliver. 
But we will see what the first reissue is like. 
They did work with fans for the artwork of FEL, they should also ask for fan input on these releases