Erotica Picture Disc Reissue - October 21, 2022

7 hours ago, RUADJAI said:

What is copyright law? Is it 30 years? Is that why M and Moni Love both had the idea to sample that song at the same time? Seems like 30 years have come and gone again, so it wouldn't be a problem. But I dont know how music copyright works. 

Well, absolutely not like that.

Anyone can use the same sample as long as the copyright holder of the original master is OK with it. You wanna use this sample? Pay for it.

On 9/27/2022 at 11:18 PM, Lucas B. said:

I still can't believe she cut those but included Where Life Begins and Did You Do It on the final tracklist

In 1992, Shame would have sounded like another nice dance-pop album filler. GTI was scrapped when Fever came.

Where Life Begins and DYDI sounded way more radical : WLB is somewhere between funk and trip hop, a genre that wasn't mainstream yet, and DYDI is between plain NYC hip hop and a comedy skit. M has a huge sense of humor, it's the prehistory of Tears of a Clown : she is never afraid of being talked about as a ridiculously over the top persona. This track is absolutely bonkers and super trashy lyrically. Madonna pushing buttons and playing with her image.

In the end, this track features only few M vocals: a very bold musical choice for a top artist signed on a major company releasing one of the most anticipated albums of the year.

We still haven't wrapped our minds around the fact that M has been artistically disturbing the peace since day one, and she didn't shy away when she was at the top of her fame, as some others would have. I guess WB execs were shitting their pants with M's decisions. She didn't play safe at all.

[EDIT] The more I think of it, the more I like what she did with DYDI. It happened at a time when US Republicans senators or members of Congress or whatever old fart would wage a war on hip hop because of its supposed bad influence on kids. This was obviously rooted on racism and what would be called later "white supremacy". M wanted to promote hip hop in its most outrageous side and push boundaries. No one can listen to DYDI seriously, the derision is absurdly obvious. Yet, conservative people would be shocked by it. She contributed to the conversation and helped hip hop when it was crossing over to the mainstream. 

In that sense, you could say that M, along with Michael and Janet Jackson, paved the way for Mariah Carey to happen and thrive. It would take a few years for Mariah to come up with a radical pop/hip hop megahit : Fantasy Remix, featuring the infamous ODB rap.

5 hours ago, PlayPause said:

like most late hi-nrg house tracks from the early 90s.

Nothing will ever sound more like Vogue than Shep's house remixes of Janet's Miss You Much, released a couple of months before. 

MYM is the missing link between Shep's EY remixes and Vogue. I wonder how she sees it, and how Janet felt when Vogue became the smash hit that distanced everything and everyone else.

You can overlap this and Vogue single version and they are the same beats at the same time, the snare, the claps , I even played the vocals from the stems and works.

5 hours ago, PlayPause said:

In 1992, Shame would have sounded like another nice dance-pop album filler. GTI was scrapped when Fever came.

Where Life Begins and DYDI sounded way more radical : WLB is somewhere between funk and trip hop, a genre that wasn't mainstream yet, and DYDI is between plain NYC hip hop and a comedy skit. M has a huge sense of humor, it's the prehistory of Tears of a Clown : she is never afraid of being talked about as a ridiculously over the top persona. This track is absolutely bonkers and super trashy lyrically. Madonna pushing buttons and playing with her image.

In the end, this track features only few M vocals: a very bold musical choice for a top artist signed on a major company releasing one of the most anticipated albums of the year.

We still haven't wrapped our minds around the fact that M has been artistically disturbing the peace since day one, and she didn't shy away when she was at the top of her fame, as some others would have. I guess WB execs were shitting their pants with M's decisions. She didn't play safe at all.

[EDIT] The more I think of it, the more I like what she did with DYDI. It happened at a time when US Republicans senators or members of Congress or whatever old fart would wage a war on hip hop because of its supposed bad influence on kids. This was obviously rooted on racism and what would be called later "white supremacy". M wanted to promote hip hop in its most outrageous side and push boundaries. No one can listen to DYDI seriously, the derision is absurdly obvious. Yet, conservative people would be shocked by it. She contributed to the conversation and helped hip hop when it was crossing over to the mainstream. 

In that sense, you could say that M, along with Michael and Janet Jackson, paved the way for Mariah Carey to happen and thrive. It would take a few years for Mariah to come up with a radical pop/hip hop megahit : Fantasy Remix, featuring the infamous ODB rap.

Thank you! Well said.

Its funny how decisions like these is what shaped Madonna into the pop star we all love but on the other hand her fans always want her to be as basic as possible 

9 hours ago, PlayPause said:

The more I think of it, the more I like what she did with DYDI. It happened at a time when US Republicans senators or members of Congress or whatever old fart would wage a war on hip hop because of its supposed bad influence on kids. This was obviously rooted on racism and what would be called later "white supremacy". M wanted to promote hip hop in its most outrageous side and push boundaries. No one can listen to DYDI seriously, the derision is absurdly obvious. Yet, conservative people would be shocked by it. She contributed to the conversation and helped hip hop when it was crossing over to the mainstream. 

Madonna singing "If I take you from behind" or "Go down where it's warm inside" was OK, but a black guy rapping "Get them legs parted" would require parental advisory. How hypocritical.

I've always seen Did You Do It? as the patriarchal response at the end of an album where a woman pours her heart out about love, loss, and her own desires.

"...yeah yeah yeah....but did you fuck her?"

M getting the punch in before the reviewers and critics. a sort of "I know they'll just call me as sex mad whore so i'll ape them on the end of my record"

Men bragging about their sexual exploits while Madonna has to go home and finish the job herself.

I didn't really tap into the middle American response to rappers on her record if truth be told but I suppose that's a possibility. 

9 hours ago, deathproof said:

I fucking love Celebration the song!!!

Me too. I love 90% of M songs* but I wouldn't be able to defend all of them as "good" music. I mean, Celebration and GGW are fun but they're disposable rubbish for example. Non fans will find them rightfully uninteresting as hell.

(*Hey You, Spanish Lesson, Incredible, Auto-Tune Baby and a couple of others not being considered because they make my skin crawl 😬)

25 minutes ago, PlayPause said:

Not every fan is a hoarder of all things in plastic with Madonna on it.

And not every fan predictably complains or expresses disappointment every time M releases something in either physical or digital formats. 

Yes I am a M collector and I love it.