Erotica Picture Disc Reissue - October 21, 2022

On 9/26/2022 at 5:38 AM, drivebitch said:

The value will definitely go down as its entire appeal was that it wasn’t released. Now people are just going to get the official 2022 release and not really care about the canceled version of even know about it. The original canceled version stuck out like a sore thumb because there was nothing like it. Now there will be. 

that's what i think...the value will go down...:suffer:

I pre-ordered it from Amazon, and the arrival date is October 25th. I had wanted it for years and years, I remember when it was withdrawn in 1992, at the various record fairs they asked me at the time really too much money and I bought the bootleg..I can finally say that something really beautiful and interesting comes out about her, after centuries.

6bbcdc30-6ace-42ee-b2dd-05e1cb673bbe.gif

12 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Good! They need to just repress the original masters. There’s no point in have a 2022 for this 

Based on how everything that she's released has been "remastered" it's probably best she avoids releasing anything remastered at all. The first three albums in 2001 sounded bad, Celebration sounded bad and a lot of FEL suffers the same.

11 minutes ago, brank000 said:

Based on how everything that she's released has been "remastered" it's probably best she avoids releasing anything remastered at all. The first three albums in 2001 sounded bad, Celebration sounded bad and a lot of FEL suffers the same.

I love the mastering on FEL except D&D

The 2001 remasters suffer from the trend at the time of compressing everything to death. They did a lot of great improvements and then ruined everything with compression.

And Celebration sounds beautiful on the vinyl, but they fucked up the CD again with the compression 

8 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

I love the mastering on FEL except D&D

What do you love about it? Tell me more.

The 2001 remasters suffer from the trend at the time of compressing everything to death. They did a lot of great improvements and then ruined everything with compression.

Yes so in the end it sounds like shit.

And Celebration sounds beautiful on the vinyl, but they fucked up the CD again with the compression 

I haven't listened to the vinyl in over 10 years tbh, but I only half believe you that it sounds beautiful. :tongue:

3 hours ago, Simonsays said:

revolver is quite possibly her worst mastered song ever with love spent coming a close second

A lot to unpack here.

First, have you heard the unmastered versions of these tracks ? Probably not. So you can never be sure that the mastering is to blame.

Mastering might seem like a mere technical phase but it's not. It also defines the sonic aesthetic of a media, so you have to make sure you hire an engineer capable of working the artistic intention of your project depending on how the music is going to be listened to.

Theoretically, vinyls, cds and releases on streaming (High Res and higher) should be mastered separately. If you rip a vinyl and burn it on CD, it will sound like shit. On the contrary, vinyl is so limited sonically that when you press material mastered for digital media, you get the infamously unlistenable American Life vinyl.

About Revolver

You can compare the sound of Celebration vs Revolver because they came from approximately the same sessions / same production tools, they were mixed by the same person. As you say, the Celebration album had many talked about problems, mastering is one of them but not only. Blame Warner for rushing post-production. The fact that the second edition was corrected means that the first master didn't go through enough quality control. (Also, maybe they wanted to piss M off, or M wanted them to look unprofessional, or they all did a bad job, but that's another story)

Revolver and Celebration were two new tracks so they had to be mastered according to the older recordings remasters and vice versa. If Celebration and the other tracks sound OK to you, but not Revolver, then this track's production and mix is to blame. M wanted a heavy, agressive sound on the song.

I agree with you, it's unsubtle, but the mastering makes the song listenable.

About Love Spent :

I don't understand when you say "in fact the mdna version sounds better" : compared to what?

Love Spent has been mixed and mastered along with the other MDNA tracks. (I'm not considering the option that one track would have gone through a separate process, it shouldn't happen for major project like a new M album)

MDNA sounds like a Madonna record even if her voice is often modified, sometimes unrecognizable.

So if the album sounds OK to you, but one song from the bunch doesn't, it's because of the mix, not the mastering. The thundering bass, busy compressed sound was intentional. The mastering gives room for her heavily altered vocals.