COADF on Spotify

Luiz Ribeiro

15 minutes ago, deathproof said:

but what was being promoted at the time, and talked about in interviews, was the non-stop mixed version.

It's not so difficult to understand... Both versions are legit, Mixed and Unmixed. The Mixed one is the main version for CDs and Cassettes, and the Unmixed is the main version for Vinyl, Streaming, and digital files.

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

It's not so difficult to understand... Both versions are legit, Mixed and Unmixed. The Mixed one is the main version for CDs and Cassettes, and the Unmixed is the main version for Vinyl, Streaming, and digital files.

At the time it was seen more as a "bonus" or "alt" version though like you said is official. Streaming also wasnt the way it is now and neither was vinyl and it was seen as an exclusive version to have the unmixed album. The whole album was based around "DJ Non Stop Dance Tour deForce".

A little side note too...

Does everyone remember that MDNA was also goiny to be a nonstop mix as well? They cut that concept last minute which is why each track has a cold ending.

3 minutes ago, Alpha said:

At the time it was seen more as a "bonus" or "alt" version though like you said is official. Streaming also wasnt the way it is now and neither was vinyl and it was seen as an exclusive version to have the unmixed album. The whole album was based around "DJ Non Stop Dance Tour deForce".

Yes, I agree with you. The "unmixed" version was more exclusive (vinyl / streaming / digital files / promo CDs). But the "unmixed" version was available since 2005, it didn't came months or years later. This is the reason why to me both can be considered the "main version". Undoubtedly the mixed version was more widespread in 2005. I've never deny that. 

14 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Does everyone remember that MDNA was also goin to be a nonstop mix as well? They cut that concept last minute which is why each track has a cold ending.

Yes, I remember to read that.

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

A little side note too...

Does everyone remember that MDNA was also goiny to be a nonstop mix as well? They cut that concept last minute which is why each track has a cold ending.

If MDNA would be a non-stop mix, I wonder what the tracklisting would be, if it is going to be different or not.

59 minutes ago, Roy said:

If MDNA would be a non-stop mix, I wonder what the tracklisting would be, if it is going to be different or not.

Not sure if the tracklisting was out yet and if it was if it was what version...with or without bday song/love spent and if it had already been decided masterpiece was going to be on it. Also...i remember everyone being kinda susprised at best friend and i wanna say it was a VERY late added track and i wanna say recorded very late too but it could also be the mandela effect lol

14 hours ago, deathproof said:

It’s because when the album was released on iTunes, the standard 12-track album was the unmixed. The mixed album (which is the true standard original album) was available as 1 long song on iTunes.

When streaming became a thing, the Spotify library mimicked the iTunes library. Her team never bothered to correct it. Im not even sure if the mixed 1-song album was ever available on Spotify.

This is exactly right 

2 hours ago, Prayer said:

First time I read about "MDNA" mixed... where is that from?

Never heard that MDNA was planned as a mixed album either... Back then this fanmade version was going around, it's actually very well done. I think I played this more than the original album :Madonna009:

3 hours ago, lucasciccone said:

Never heard that MDNA was planned as a mixed album either... Back then this fanmade version was going around, it's actually very well done. I think I played this more than the original album :Madonna009:

i have this as split tracks if you want it but then i guess that defeats the object :laughing:

15 hours ago, Aiwa08 said:

Hmm, I don’t know why you think it doubting the legitimacy of the version. I never said the unmixed wasn’t legit lol.

Im just saying that for a long time, especially around the albums promo cycle (2005/2006), the non-stop mixed version was seen as the definitive version amongst fans and critics, and Madonna lol

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/madonna-confesses-60773/amp/

I interviewed Stuart during the recent Billboard Dance Music Summit. During our chat, he mentioned that you wanted the new album to start at 120 beats-per-minute and only go up…

It’s true. I wanted a record with no ballads. I wanted there to be no breaks, with one song segueing into the next — just like in a disco.

Im just trying to speak on a bigger issue of revisionist history, which has been a big problem on streaming platforms.

28 minutes ago, deathproof said:

Im just saying that for a long time, especially around the albums promo cycle (2005/2006), the non-stop mixed version was seen as the definitive version amongst fans and critics, and Madonna lol

Lol, and I'm just saying that the "definitive" version depends of the format because the unmixed version was available since the beginning. If the unmixed version exist is because Madonna and Warner wanted that. 

Of course I understand why many people thinks that the unmixed version is an alternate version and the mixed the definitive version (in 2005 not all the fans bought the vinyl/digital files or the promo CD).

Anyway this is a endless debate like to know what version of Burning Up (or Express Yourself) is the definitive version. 

1 hour ago, Aiwa08 said:

Lol, and I'm just saying that the "definitive" version depends of the format because the unmixed version was available since the beginning. If the unmixed version exist is because Madonna and Warner wanted that. 

Of course I understand why many people thinks that the unmixed version is an alternate version and the mixed the definitive version (in 2005 not all the fans bought the vinyl/digital files or the promo CD).

Anyway this is a endless debate like to know what version of Burning Up (or Express Yourself) is the definitive version. 

I've really lost interest in what the definitive version is but there was no vinyl to purchase in 2005. The unmixed version was not available 'since the beginning', it was released on vinyl in March 2006. 

6 minutes ago, MatterCompressor said:

I've really lost interest in what the definitive version is but there was no vinyl to purchase in 2005. The unmixed version was not available 'since the beginning', it was released on vinyl in March 2006. 

You are forgetting the digital files and the promo CD:

Confessions on a Dance Floor (12 Reg. Tracks)

Madonna

Publicado el 14/11/05 por Warner Records

Artista principal: Madonna

Género Pop

Disponible en

16-Bit CD Quality

44.1 kHz - Stereo

https://www.qobuz.com/es-es/album/confessions-on-a-dance-floor-madonna/0093624995166

So yes, It was available since the beginning.

This is such a silly debate :dead:

It's obvious the only reason the unmixed version existed from the start was that 1) Madonna had just signed a deal with iTunes a few months before Confessions to put her music on there, and there needed to be a version that allowed for listeners to purchase one-off songs since albums were becoming a dying concept, plus some of the songs would sound a little odd at the beginning / end due to the nature of how they transitioned and 2) The mixed version would never work on vinyl due to the fact each side can only hold 3-4 songs. 

The mixed version is obviously the definitive version of Confessions.

Maybe we can start a new "Is I'm Breathless considered a studio album?" thread next :laughing:

27 minutes ago, eXtremeOccident said:

This is such a silly debate :dead:

It's obvious the only reason the unmixed version existed from the start was that 1) Madonna had just signed a deal with iTunes a few months before Confessions to put her music on there, and there needed to be a version that allowed for listeners to purchase one-off songs since albums were becoming a dying concept, plus some of the songs would sound a little odd at the beginning / end due to the nature of how they transitioned and 2) The mixed version would never work on vinyl due to the fact each side can only hold 3-4 songs. 

Oh Please...

Do you know how many mixed albums were available on iTunes or vinyl before confessions? They never needed unmixed versions for them

Just now, Aiwa08 said:

Oh Please...

Do you know how many mixed albums were available on iTunes or vinyl before confessions? They never needed unmixed versions for them

Yes, but how many *new* mixed albums were being released at the time? I can't see a band like Pink Floyd going back and retroactively creating a new unmixed version of Dark Side of the Moon, for example. However, it would have made perfect sense for Madonna to have the unmixed version on the docket in the midst of the iTunes listening age.

Honestly, I never even thought about older mixed albums and vinyl -- How did this work in the past? My understanding of albums like Dark Side of the Moon (best example I can come up with lol, sorry) is that they had logical ends to the mixing so that it wouldn't be distracting to flip from Side A to Side B. Speak to Me - The Great Gig in the Sky works well on its own, as does Money - Eclipse.

1 hour ago, eXtremeOccident said:

The mixed version is obviously the definitive version of Confessions.

It was when it was released and CD was the main format, and we all loved it and our memories are forever chained to that one BUT...

Not anymore. The only version officially now available on Spotify, Apple Music, YouTube, etc.? Yes, the unmixed version.

So the unmixed is the main version now...

- Streaming/Digital

- Vinyl

Of course the CD is still available but that format is not the main format anymore.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:01 AM, Alpha said:

it was seen as an exclusive version to have the unmixed album.

nope, it was the official and only CD release.

16 hours ago, eXtremeOccident said:

retroactively creating a new unmixed version of Dark Side of the Moon, for example

that's what single versions and radio edits are for : album tracks are supposed to be listened to within the  album.

4 hours ago, PlayPause said:

nope, it was the official and only CD release.

that's what single versions and radio edits are for : album tracks are supposed to be listened to within the  album.

Uh what? The unmixed was only released on digital and later vinyl. In fact the full length version of Hung Up wasnt available commercially on CD until Celebration

I'm so used to the unmixed version that I forgot Confessions had a mixed version lol

I don't know about "definitive", but the mixed version definitely seems to be Madonna's vision for the album and the way she wanted us to experience it. The mixed version feels more like "in case you want to only hear two songs". It makes sense why that would be the format they chose for Spotify.

I see why the the mixed version all in one track was bad for her streams, but surely they could upload the mixed version split into tracks and merge the streams? We can definitely have both, if we can have a "clean" version of Erotica and a PA version lol (I wish they would delete the clean version and just keep the other one and just call it Erotica and that's it)