M15 - The New Album

Fabiolous

On 1/24/2023 at 3:33 PM, BeepBeepBitchMove said:

Personally I feel the new album will be produced by Mike Dean mostly. She spends a lot of time with him. He does amazing electronic music. Opened for The Weeknd’s tour recently. Produced and mixed on Beyonces Renaissance. And Honey Dijon was in the studio with them a bunch of times. 

Like Michael's Xscape, that would be awesome

11 minutes ago, eXtremeOccident said:

11 minutes ago, Shoful said:

Didn’t he master Madame X??

He did do production work on both albums, but are we 100% sure that he was the mastering engineer for either of them? Official credits on madonna.com unfortunately only list writers and producers but no personnel beyond that... which has been driving me crazy for ages.

Edited by acolyte (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, acolyte said:

He did do production work on both albums, but are we 100% sure that he was the mastering engineer for either of them? Official credits on madonna.com unfortunately only list writers and producers but no personnel beyond that... which has been driving me crazy for ages.

I'm a little skeptical now too, given Renaissance sounds substantially better than those two albums do mix-wise. That's been one of my biggest complaints with her releases since Confessions...the mixing and mastering are really subpar. 

She should get whoever does Ariana Grande's or Dua Lipa's albums....now THOSE are incredible mixes. Almost flawless.

20 minutes ago, eXtremeOccident said:

I'm a little skeptical now too, given Renaissance sounds substantially better than those two albums do mix-wise. That's been one of my biggest complaints with her releases since Confessions...the mixing and mastering are really subpar. 

She should get whoever does Ariana Grande's or Dua Lipa's albums....now THOSE are incredible mixes. Almost flawless.

It's all a tiny bit confusing, isn't it? I remember there were tweets back in the day that linked Mike Dean to "some" mastering job for Rebel Heart, but not explicitly to the whole album. Given the clusterfuck that album is, I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't even one principal mastering engineer. When it comes to Madame X, we're completely in the dark. 

I've never heard a single song by Ariana, but I do agree that the mixing and mastering on Future Nostalgia is absolutely impeccable!

By the way, according to Wiki, Colin Leonard was responsible for mastering Renaissance

Edited by acolyte (see edit history)

28 minutes ago, acolyte said:

There was definitely a video on Mike Dean’s instagram of him listening to the test vinyl before it was put into production. I’m not informed enough on musical tech to know but I thought he mastered the entire album. Lauren(Laura maybe) forget her last name def did some work too? Maybe mixing or engineering

3 minutes ago, Shoful said:

There was definitely a video on Mike Dean’s instagram of him listening to the test vinyl before it was put into production. I’m not informed enough on musical tech to know but I thought he mastered the entire album. Lauren(Laura maybe) forget her last name def did some work too? Maybe mixing or engineering

I remember Instagram posts or stories from way back in 2018 (omg) that linked both Mike Dean and Lauren D’elia as mixing engineers during the final mixing sessions. There still isn't any official confirmation of that, but I guess that this is enough to solve that part of the mystery at least. When it comes to the mastering side of things, it's very likely that Mike did that, but we don't know for sure. I generally don't understand why such information hasn't been released officially or why they haven't bothered to include proper credits since 2015, but who knows...

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bedtimestory said:

I have no expectations for this one. Judging by ''aesthetic taste'' it will be an autotune filled, rap album. she's not the same effortlessly cool trendsetter she used to be in 2005.

That's my issue regarding any potential new albums. It just feels like Madonna (even though she actually does) has nothing new to say musically. In her career her lyrical themes and subject matter were new at the time for Madonna's life (singing about desire, sex, female ambition, faith, not saying sorry, motherhood, never quitting) but it seems like she doesn't have anything new to tell us. Songs like Unapologetic Bitch, Ghosttown, Medellin, I Don't Search I Find, Batuka, Back That Up to th Beat, etc just feel like they are throwaway songs and don't have the same impact that a Like a Prayer, Material Girl, Ray of Light, Vogue, or others have.

This might be taboo, but I'd like to hear Madonna singing about getting older and navigating the world in that regard, being the last living legend of a musical period we'll never see again, and things like that. Musically she could keep it up beat and fresh but I'd like to hear newer themes in her music and not singing these lyrically messy songs that have no timelessness.

Lately I've been listening to 1 Madonna album per day in order in anticipation of her new tour and in her early work I can feel an unmatched ambition and hunger just in her sound. In her later works (Hard Candy, MDNA, Rebel Heart, Madame X) she just sounds bored most of the time, almost as if she's just pushing out an album to fulfill a contractual agreement.

Most of madonna's fans got old and don't realize they are not in touch anymore with what is trendy or not. They think because they don't like something it's either not good or forward thinking especially when hip hop is involved. They are just clueless and base their thoughts on what was trendy 20 years ago.

The most infos we have about Rebel Heart come from this Discogs page, we still don't know about mastering but mixing was done by various persons including DAMNED Demo Castellon  https://www.discogs.com/fr/release/6735790-Madonna-Rebel-Heart

… and some periods and trends  in music are dull and a lull in creativity, style or theme. We’ve been in one of those for about five years. Pop has eaten itself. 
the creative and good stuff happens on the fringes. Like alt rnb and alt pop. 
The mainstream has never been more dire. There are endless articles and think pieces about “what has happened to pop music”….

There are plenty of hip hop fans of yesteryear that have no time for the current incarnation of the genre…. but sure yeah it’s Madonna fans. 
Change the record huh 

Really, most fans know nothing about her and just believe all the bullshit.

She always has something to say as a person always moving forward, extremely deep and wise. The last albums prove a great evolution and maturity. People thinking Vogue is more than that are really ridiculous. It's only bigger in airplay and popularity.

On 1/27/2023 at 1:05 PM, acolyte said:

he's credited on madonna.com for the rebel heart album lol

he did the mixing for:

• illuminati
  • hold tight
  • holy water
  • inside out
  • wash all over me
  • sex
  • messiah
  • autotune baby

7 hours ago, steady75 said:

… and some periods and trends  in music are dull and a lull in creativity, style or theme. We’ve been in one of those for about five years. Pop has eaten itself. 
the creative and good stuff happens on the fringes. Like alt rnb and alt pop. 
The mainstream has never been more dire. There are endless articles and think pieces about “what has happened to pop music”….

There are plenty of hip hop fans of yesteryear that have no time for the current incarnation of the genre…. but sure yeah it’s Madonna fans. 
Change the record huh 

Agreed here. I think that are lots of genres that are just in this lull of non-creativity. Look at movies even, nothing new is being invented, we on like the 40th remake of Spiderman at this point. When someone actually does put something out that's fresh and new, it becomes a huge success because the public is yearning for creativity and newness.

Honestly though, every album she puts out is grounded in what is happening at the time. MDNA sounds like everything happening in the early 2010s (metallic, sharp EDM). Not every album changes the game. The music industry shifted drastically in the mid 2010s with streaming steam rolling forward, leaving physical sales in the dust. It reflects in the scattered music aesthetics we see at the time and Rebel Heart. With vinyl on the rise again, Madonna's physical sales are stronger, hence getting a compilation into the top 10 with no new music. And Madame X reflects a politically polarized America and a Madonna seeking to bring world sounds to a mainstream audience .

Whatever the next album is, M is going to speak on political topics, new and old. There will be house, disco, and trap. There will be features... because that's the industry norm and I don't understand why that's such an issue. Most albums this decade feature those sounds and aesthetics. And there will be a Latin oriented song because that's a big market for her. I look forward to whatever LP or EP we receive in the coming year. I can see a lot of current artists, even the big ones, stopping music by their 40s or 50s because they don't have what M has. A hunger to be the center of attention and rule it. Beyonce screens whats released about her. Taylor Swift has her own personal die hard fanbase that can lower egg prices (I'm joking... I think). M goes with the scandals and she definitely doesn't lean on us for much other than sales. 

13 hours ago, dankpepe said:

Agreed here. I think that are lots of genres that are just in this lull of non-creativity. Look at movies even, nothing new is being invented, we on like the 40th remake of Spiderman at this point. When someone actually does put something out that's fresh and new, it becomes a huge success because the public is yearning for creativity and newness.

It's not true. In Hollywood nothing new is made, but you can find a lot of creative independent movies and same is with music. 

On 2/14/2023 at 6:58 AM, remixed224 said:

It's not true. In Hollywood nothing new is made, but you can find a lot of creative independent movies and same is with music. 

It actually is true. There was a slurry of articles about it last year. I'm pretty sure someone big like Matt Damon wrote something about it. The dominance of streaming has made studios cautious about what to invest in so they're going for safer bets, remakes and reimaginings.