Categorize Madonna's classics

Régine Filange

Signature song: Vogue 

Mega Classics: Like A Prayer, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Hung Up, La Isla Bonita, Papa Don't Preach, Frozen, Into The Groove, Express Yourself 

Classics: Ray of Light, Music, Live To Tell, Don't Tell Me, Sorry, 4 Minutes, Bitch I'm Madonna, Holiday, Borderline, Lucky Star 

I'll stop right there, cause honestly 80% of her singles literally enter in the Classics category at very least lol💀 

I think its possible to have more than one signature song tbh but if we had to go with one

Signature: Like A Virgin 

Megaclassics  - Virgin - Like A Prayer - Vogue - Hung Up

Classics -  Holiday - Material Girl - Into The Groove - Crazy For You - Papa Don't Preach - Open Your Heart - La Isla Bonita - Express Yourself - Music

deserve to be classics - Burning Up - Live To Tell - Dress You Up - True Blue - Deeper & Deeper - Dont Tell Me - Rebel Heart

Signature song: Like a Prayer, Like a Virgin, Material Girl, Vogue
-Mega classics: La Isla Bonita, Hung up, Papa Don't Preach
-Classics: Music, Into the Groove, Holiday

Overall, I think that throughout the decades, some songs are getting filtered out by the general public, and less songs are mega well known than the fans would like to think. It's true for every artist. For example, I really like Elvis and Michael Jackson, but I would struggle to categorize and name too many songs.

-Signature song: Like A Virgin
-Mega classics: Holiday, Into The Groove, Material Girl, La Isla Bonita, Like A Prayer, Vogue, Frozen, Ray of Light, Music, Hung Up
-Classics: Lucky Star, Dress You Up, Papa Don't Preach, Open Your Heart, Live to Tell, Who's That Girl, Justify My Love, Express Yourself, Take A Bow, Beautiful Stranger, Don't Tell Me, 4 minutes

I know streaming isn't the be-all and end-all but it's a pretty good indicator of what is popular right now, so I combined her streams (Youtube + Spotify) and it goes something like this.

-Signature song (800M+): La Isla Bonita.

-Mega classics (200M+): Hung Up, Material Girl, Like A Prayer, Like A Virgin, Vogue, Frozen, Papa Don't Preach, 4 Minutes, Holiday.

-Classics (80M+): Into The Groove, Crazy For You, Live To Tell, Sorry, True Blue, Open Your Heart, Music, Borderline, The Power Of Good-Bye, Express Yourself, Give It 2 Me, Celebration.

-Underrated (40M+): Ray Of Light, Take A Bow, Don't Cry For Me Argentina, Lucky Star, Don't Tell Me, Jump, Dress You Up, Justify My Love, American Pie, Die Another Day, Secret.

For me: Signature song Like a virgin.

Megaclassics: Material Girl, Express Yourself, Like a prayer, Vogue, Frozen ,  Ray Of Light, Music, Hung Up, La isla bonita, Live to tell, Papa don´t preach, Open your heart, Into the groove.

Classics: Holiday, You´ll see, Justify my love, True Blue, Crazy for you, Power of goodbye, Don´t tell me, Sorry, American pie, Beautiful stranger, Take a bow (yes her biggest hit on the charts, but still it is not so well remembered as others of hers), secret, Erotica, 4 minutes, Die another day...

Signature Song(s): Vogue, Like a Virgin, Like a Prayer

Mega Classics: Holiday, Lucky Star, Material Girl, Into the Groove, Open Your Heart, Papa Don’t Preach, La Isla Bonita, Express Yourself, Frozen, Ray of Light, Music, Hung Up, 4 Minutes

Classics: Borderline, Dress You Up, Deeper & Deeper, Beautiful Stranger, Don’t Tell Me, Die Another Day

This is more an American perspective based on what I’ve heard mostly on the radio. I gave her three signature songs because I mean look at those three and think of what songs instantly are played when TV or documentaries mention her, it’s one of those (LAP music video, LAV MTV performance, Vogue performances and song in general). The Megaclassics I’ve heard just about everywhere and the general public knows or remembers them very well. And the classics are songs I’ve definitely heard on radio but my friends responses were usually, “That’s Madonna too? I hear this a lot and never knew.” Obviously there’s a whole other list of “Madonna Approved Signature Collection” of songs Madonna would like the GP to remember her for. We would get Give It 2 Me, Girl Gone Wild, Living for Love, and I Don’t Search I Find in a classics list there. We got a glimpse of that with the abridged FEL.

On 9/4/2022 at 8:29 PM, Karma said:

I know streaming isn't the be-all and end-all but it's a pretty good indicator of what is popular right now, so I combined her streams (Youtube + Spotify) and it goes something like this.

-Signature song (800M+): La Isla Bonita.

-Mega classics (200M+): Hung Up, Material Girl, Like A Prayer, Like A Virgin, Vogue, Frozen, Papa Don't Preach, 4 Minutes, Holiday.

-Classics (80M+): Into The Groove, Crazy For You, Live To Tell, Sorry, True Blue, Open Your Heart, Music, Borderline, The Power Of Good-Bye, Express Yourself, Give It 2 Me, Celebration.

-Underrated (40M+): Ray Of Light, Take A Bow, Don't Cry For Me Argentina, Lucky Star, Don't Tell Me, Jump, Dress You Up, Justify My Love, American Pie, Die Another Day, Secret.

I’m sorry, but you’re telling me Bitch I’m Madonna with it’s streams and out the water YouTube views missed this list? If we are gonna go by streaming and music video views, that song has to land here

Signature song: Like A Prayer 

Mega classics: Holiday, Like a Virgin, Into The Groove, Papa Don’t Preach, Open Your Heart, Express Yourself, Vogue, Take a Bow, Ray of Light, Music, Hung Up

Classics: Material Girl, Crazy for You, Live to Tell, La Isla Bonita, Who’s That Girl, Cherish, Justify My Love, Deeper & Deeper, Secret, Frozen, Sorry, 4 Minutes