Madonna & Tokischa - Hung Up Remix Music Video

Roy

14 hours ago, Simonsays said:

You wont see kylie forums full of negative comments because kylie gives her fans what they want even though in my opinion its not of very good quality - they still like it 

You’ve clearly never been to a Kylie forum. They bitch and moan just the same as Madonna fans.

11 hours ago, Simonsays said:

I dont think Madonna would respect kylie as a actual artist because she likes artists who are controversial and take risks and kylie is quite the opposite 

This just isn’t true. She loves Kylie and has said so many times. She also loves Britney and many other pop stars that are not controversial at all. I doubt she expects everyone to be exactly like her.

14 hours ago, Simonsays said:

Madonna is clearly making a statement with everything she does recently - the filtering of her pics , her videos , what she says or does 
in interviews -everythiing - kylie and madonna are totally different anyway and like you said pointless to compare the two and im sure kylie will be having even lower sales figures when she is 64 

I would like to know what statement you think she is making by filtering her pics on social? Maybe I'm missing something please I would like to know?

I think my interpretation might be different to yours 

I genuinely love this remix, i don't care about the video though but i keep listening to the remix and it's not just because of the irresistible hooks of Hung Up, i like the Tokisha vocals as well and Madonna ad libs on them. Shame the video does not sale this one better and even plays against it imho.

2 hours ago, steady75 said:

Kylie has taken risks several times in her career musically at least. She’s done very personal stuff too. I think there was a time when she was willing to go down that route. She opened up on Impossible Princess and it was a commercial failure. Even if her lyrics and moods and song writing craft were absolutely brilliant.  Like seriously good. It nearly robbed her of her career. So she chose joy.

I have a bunch of friends who have worked with Kylie musically over the years. There are times where she wants to push herself out of her comfort zone musically. After the huge commercially success of the Fever album she took a hard swerve and delivered Slow and Body Language which again… didn’t do well commercially. There were inside chatters of “she hasn’t learned her lesson” while that album was being made. 
So there’s no doubt she pushes against what the expectation of the record company wants at times but there are  others where she absolutely craves that full out pop sound, she’s sent stuff back and asked it to be made poppier and more melodic and more joyful.

You know music isn’t always about the statement,  sometimes it’s about the absence of statement and is designed to give you space from thought and concept and allows you just to be in the moment. The Hollywood kiss, the dance in the kitchen, the glitter bomb. Which I very much suppose is a statement in itself. There is great, great value in this. It’s often the thing that attracts us pop music in the first instance, especially gay men. As gay kids I think we need that level of escapism to survive. Kylie deserves a life long service to gay men award for her tireless work for the cig community. 

Madonna very much chose to move away from that over the years and has kind of said herself she finds those songs of hers dumb. I think knowing that some of her more modern carefree songs come across as a bit unconvincing. Turn Up The Radio is a  great example. I’m thrilled Madonna is so political and wants to say something. But life is tough. Sometimes I need to put social media down, turn off the news, close my journal, dial out of politics and dial into myself .. or out of myself. That’s therapy and self care and and you might say was more important than anything else. Kylie is the perfect safe space for that. She’s a human balloon drop and I’m eternally grateful for her In ways that may seem frivolous to others. To write that off as pop fluff for the gays is missing the point entirely and it could be said it dips it’s toes into prejudice / self loathing but that’s another TLDR.  Poor those people. Kylie knows her brand and knows the absolute worth of it and delivers it with a style and sensibility that is second to none. No one does Kylie like Kylie.  For that I am eternally grateful. 

Beautifully put. The bizarre inability of people (mainly grown ass men) to allow artists to be separate entities unto themselves without needing to pit them against each other at every opportunity is coma-inducing.

3 hours ago, steady75 said:

Kylie has taken risks several times in her career musically at least. She’s done very personal stuff too. I think there was a time when she was willing to go down that route. She opened up on Impossible Princess and it was a commercial failure. Even if her lyrics and moods and song writing craft were absolutely brilliant.  Like seriously good. It nearly robbed her of her career. So she chose joy.

I have a bunch of friends who have worked with Kylie musically over the years. There are times where she wants to push herself out of her comfort zone musically. After the huge commercially success of the Fever album she took a hard swerve and delivered Slow and Body Language which again… didn’t do well commercially. There were inside chatters of “she hasn’t learned her lesson” while that album was being made. 
So there’s no doubt she pushes against what the expectation of the record company wants at times but there are  others where she absolutely craves that full out pop sound, she’s sent stuff back and asked it to be made poppier and more melodic and more joyful.

You know music isn’t always about the statement,  sometimes it’s about the absence of statement and is designed to give you space from thought and concept and allows you just to be in the moment. The Hollywood kiss, the dance in the kitchen, the glitter bomb. Which I very much suppose is a statement in itself. There is great, great value in this. It’s often the thing that attracts us pop music in the first instance, especially gay men. As gay kids I think we need that level of escapism to survive. Kylie deserves a life long service to gay men award for her tireless work for the cig community. 

Madonna very much chose to move away from that over the years and has kind of said herself she finds those songs of hers dumb. I think knowing that some of her more modern carefree songs come across as a bit unconvincing. Turn Up The Radio is a  great example. I’m thrilled Madonna is so political and wants to say something. But life is tough. Sometimes I need to put social media down, turn off the news, close my journal, dial out of politics and dial into myself .. or out of myself. That’s therapy and self care and and you might say was more important than anything else. Kylie is the perfect safe space for that. She’s a human balloon drop and I’m eternally grateful for her In ways that may seem frivolous to others. To write that off as pop fluff for the gays is missing the point entirely and it could be said it dips it’s toes into prejudice / self loathing but that’s another TLDR.  Poor those people. Kylie knows her brand and knows the absolute worth of it and delivers it with a style and sensibility that is second to none. No one does Kylie like Kylie.  For that I am eternally grateful. 

The argument that Kylie is “not political” is just a thing Madonna fans say to try and one up Madonna. The large majority of Madonna’s biggest hits have been fun dance songs. So it’s a bit rich for any Madonna fan to write Kylie off on the basis of that.

Yes they have their differences but many similarities also.

1 hour ago, Simonsays said:

Madonna outsold kylie in every way i dont need to one up kylie by saying she doesnt take risks as a pop star ! Madonnas discography is better ! Kylie is deffo more gay friendly though like steps in a way ! Does kylie even write her own songs ? Anyway madonna outsold even though she took huge risks in her career ! THE END ! The very thought of madonna going down the same road as kylie artistically makes me shudder ! I dont care if madonna flops hard with her music because in my opinion kylie is flopping hard too despite heavy promo and being 10 years younger ! I liked kylie when she did confide in me before she turned into the snow white of music ;) 

its hard to argue with madonna fans who are angry that madonna is not doing what they want her to do artistically so to save me the hastle ill just put you on ignore 

Of course Madonna has been greater in every way, but she is also lower than anybody else today artistically, so maybe it is better to have a more regular path, don´t you think?

1 hour ago, Simonsays said:

Madonna outsold kylie in every way i dont need to one up kylie by saying she doesnt take risks as a pop star ! Madonnas discography is better ! Kylie is deffo more gay friendly though like steps in a way ! Does kylie even write her own songs ? Anyway madonna outsold even though she took huge risks in her career ! THE END ! The very thought of madonna going down the same road as kylie artistically makes me shudder ! I dont care if madonna flops hard with her music because in my opinion kylie is flopping hard too despite heavy promo and being 10 years younger ! I liked kylie when she did confide in me before she turned into the snow white of music ;) 

its hard to argue with madonna fans who are angry that madonna is not doing what they want her to do artistically so to save me the hastle ill just put you on ignore 

Please do

3 hours ago, Simonsays said:

its hard to argue with madonna fans who are angry that madonna is not doing what they want her to do artistically

Very few Madonna fans are like that.... Did I want her to release something like "I'm Breathless" at that point, heck no (I wanted more Vogue type songs)... but I loved it anyway.... Did I want her to release something like "Erotica" at that point in time ... nope (I wanted more pure pop)... but I loved it anyway... the list goes on.

That people do not like something, does not mean that they are angry that she did not deliver exactly what they wanted her to deliver...it simply means that they do not like it...

Your horrible rude way of being a fan.. however makes every discussion hard.... Thinking you know everything... why Madonna behaves like she does, what artists Madonna would respect, that Kylie does not write her songs etc... also put a lot of hardship on communication ...Just like Madonna... Kylie co-wrote a lot of her own songs... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Songs_written_by_Kylie_Minogue

8 hours ago, Drownedboy said:

Of course Madonna has been greater in every way, but she is also lower than anybody else today artistically, so maybe it is better to have a more regular path, don´t you think?

Ugh please. All pop releases today are complete shit. And bland as fuck. 20 years from now nobody will listen to these new songs by Dua Lipa or Ariana. And certainly not Chromatica 

5 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Ugh please. All pop releases today are complete shit. And bland as fuck. 20 years from now nobody will listen to these new songs by Dua Lipa or Ariana. And certainly not Chromatica 

And as I recall you have been defending this horrible video Madonna put out throughout this entire thread.

22 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Yup. That’s why I’m in this thread cause I like it. I ignore the ones about the stuff I dislike or don’t care for. 

Everyone can like and dislike what they want, I just found it hilarious that you have been saying how you like this video and then started going off on how forgettable current pop releases are. The hypocrisy is a bit much sometimes.

1 hour ago, Enlightened Commenter said:

Everyone can like and dislike what they want, I just found it hilarious that you have been saying how you like this video and then started going off on how forgettable current pop releases are. The hypocrisy is a bit much sometimes.

Well I said I liked it. I didn’t say 20 years from now I’ll still care about it. I think what’s hypocritical is to say this is inferior in any way to most pop stuff that’s being released in the past few years

17 minutes ago, thegoldencalf said:

Well I said I liked it. I didn’t say 20 years from now I’ll still care about it. I think what’s hypocritical is to say this is inferior in any way to most pop stuff that’s being released in the past few years

I get what you’re saying, popular music today does feel inferior. The songs lack soul and melody. Sometimes I hear classic songs and I say “wow, they really don’t make music like this anymore.”

For eg, the other day I heard Joan Osborne’s One of Us. And I also heard Cat Stevens Wild World. These are timeless songs. People with that sort of passion and talent get buried amongst all the tripe today.

• RUADJAI locked and unpinned this topic