Question re: Where's The Party

jtrover

I was just thinking about something, and was wondering if anyone knew anything or could share some information regarding the song Where's The Party...

I am wondering if it was actually supposed to be a (final) single off  the True Blue album? 

I remember as a kid when the album was out, that song was a lot of people's favorite. My friends and I used to always turn the tape to side B because that was the song we all wanted to hear.

I know when the You Can Dance compilation came out later in 1987, I thought it was strange that besides 1 "new" track (Spotlight), all of the other songs on the track-list were singles - except Where's The Party and Over and Over, which led me to believe that possibly when the remixes were being commissioned, it was initially planned for WTP to be a single too. I don't know. I mean, it would make sense. Over and Over was a single in Italy wasn't it? Maybe that would've been a single in North America if Crazy for You, Into the Groove and Gambler weren't released.

I know WTP (remix) was released in Japan to promote YCD, but I'm obviously not referring to that. I know in 1986 WTP was released to a couple countries only, but I'm referring to The N. American and other major markets and for the promotion of the True Blue album.

Do you think maybe the record company ran out of time because the Who's that Girl movie was coming out and the subsequent title-track single too? 

Maybe WTP was supposed to be a single, but due to a lack of time, it was eventually scrapped? 

Maybe nobody will ever know, lol. 

@jtrover Technically Over and Over wasn't released as a single worldwide either, just in a few countries.

What happened is that True Blue (the song) wasn't planned to be a single but started getting a lot of airplay after the album was released and as such was squeezed between Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart.

It's very likely that Where's the Party was planned to be a single after La Isla Bonita, but when True Blue was added in the singles plan, the other singles were delayed. And then it was time to release the Who's That Girl soundtrack and its singles so its release was probably cancelled because of that.

In the end the song was only released in the Philippines near the end of 1986 as a 7" Single, with Love Don't Live Here Anymore as a B-Side. It still received quite a bit of radio airplay in some countries.

32 minutes ago, Curtains said:

@jtrover Technically Over and Over wasn't released as a single worldwide either, just in a few countries.

What happened is that True Blue (the song) wasn't planned to be a single but started getting a lot of airplay after the album was released and as such was squeezed between Papa Don't Preach and Open Your Heart.

It's very likely that Where's the Party was planned to be a single after La Isla Bonita, but when True Blue was added in the singles plan, the other singles were delayed. And then it was time to release the Who's That Girl soundtrack and its singles so its release was probably cancelled because of that.

In the end the song was only released in the Philippines near the end of 1986 as a 7" Single, with Love Don't Live Here Anymore as a B-Side. It still received quite a bit of radio airplay in some countries.

Most likely what happened to Over and Over and Love Don't Live Here Anymore as well. They got cannibalized by Into the Groove & Gambler. 

They did those local single releases to see if it was worth pushing for more singles. I think Spanish Eyes was also one of those cases. It was most likely supposed to be released instead of Oh Father but David Fincher convinced Madonna to release Oh Father instead. Overall, Spanish Eyes and Till Death Do Us Part seemed more single-worthy than the A-sides they were released with.

Where’s The Party is 100% her lost great single of the 80’s. Honestly kills me a bit it’s an absolute banger and I really hopes she finally gives it the single treatment Taylor Swift style on the True Blue special edition. She obviously loved it as it was performed on two of her tours, featured on You Can Dance, has a cute nod on Confession tour and I’m sure I saw it in a draft set list for another of her tours somewhere but my brain isn’t helping me today. 

Imma play it now. 

42 minutes ago, Holger said:

There is also the leaked Shep Pettibone TV mix, which has a proper 7" remix structur (although the intro is kind of strange IMO). I hope there is also a proper Shep Pettibone 7" mix (not the You Can Dance Remix Edit), and that it would be released on the "True Blue" re-issue.

The "Shep Pettibone TV mix" is the track also known as "Instrumental remix edit"? Yes, the intro is strange (I think the intro is cut).