Rina Sawayama ’s "Send My Love to John" sampled "X-Static Process" ?

Askeroff

Thoughts and prayers. :pray:

Just kidding. :laughing:

Send My Love To John was about Rina's friend's mom who did not accept her son for his queerness due to her religious beliefs. It was written in the perspective of the mother, which was based from a phone call between her and Rina's friend. The phone call ended with "send my love to John," as in, the friend's boyfriend and this was said after years of her not being able to accept her son for who he is.

X-Static Process is about Madonna's existential crisis and confusion about herself, her identity and the world around her. With everything that has happened to her, she takes the time to reflect about her life through this somber and raw song.

Personally, there are indeed similarities in terms of the guitar but we'll never know until someone on Rina's team would confirm or deny it. Both songs, at the end of the day, sound beautiful.

4 hours ago, Andreo said:

She really thought she was doing something 💀 cringe af 

Is it a crime for her to express her feelings?! My god the blatant privilege that happens on this board! Let’s not act like Madonna has a clean slate. People make mistakes without even realizing it. The only thing to do is to learn from them.

#DontSilenceHer

She was right about the MDNA commercial, but she’s also a fan:

BF7132E2-3C0B-465B-B19F-D28CBF9E0D20.thumb.jpeg.89fe9993772b406a7924873260010931.jpegCFDFABC1-3BC1-4A6A-981D-6EE30A3DA7C4.thumb.jpeg.ed51afaf83ba8b23e50050d8bc9d519f.jpeg

On the no-melody-is-new subject, is that what happened with “Hold the Girl” and its reference to Madonna’s “Like a Prayer”? Did you have to pay for that?

No, I didn’t — I think you have to have a certain number of consecutive notes and a certain rhythm for it to be that, although Madonna is such a huge inspiration for me. But one thing that many people have not picked up on, which actually was a whole palaver behind the scenes, was that the guitar riff in “This Hell,” which is definitely very similar “Gimme Gimme Gimme” by ABBA — that has way more similarities melodically than “Life a Prayer.” I actually had to ask Elton to help me reach out to ABBA, like, “Hey, is this cool?” Luckily, they said yes and really no one has noticed it.

https://variety.com/2022/music/news/rina-sawayama-hold-the-girl-john-wick-4-elton-john-1235372573/amp/

1 hour ago, deathproof said:

Is it a crime for her to express her feelings?! My god the blatant privilege that happens on this board! Let’s not act like Madonna has a clean slate. People make mistakes without even realizing it. The only thing to do is to learn from them.

#DontSilenceHer

Dude I didn't mean THAT at all, didn't meant to sound arrogant or "privileged and entitled" or else. Wtf. 

It's not a sample, and she said the right thing re: the commercial. Next. Imagine trying to teach an Asian girl she shouldn't feel offended that Asian women are presented as submissive manicurists for the billionth time, and I ever read she should be grateful they're even on screen... fucking morons.
Not to mention her album being one of the best pop records of the year! Madonna fans acting like it's still 2012 and we need feuds. Save that for the days of PerezHilton.com

8 hours ago, deathproof said:

So then what did you mean, cause your original post says otherwise 🤔

Dude chill tfo, that was a stupid silly comment I made as a joke on the way she dragged M and that's it, there was literally no deeper meaning unlike what you were ranting about, preaching about privilege and silence, it's not that deep :rip:reserve that for those users here who really are insensitive and get away with it with any shit they say instead lol

7 hours ago, Andreo said:

Dude chill tfo, that was a stupid silly comment I made as a joke on the way she dragged M and that's it, there was literally no deeper meaning unlike what you were ranting about, preaching about privilege and silence, it's not that deep :rip:reserve that for those users here who really are insensitive and get away with it with any shit they say instead lol

The problem is, this chick is calling out stereotypical representation in the media of asian women. If you choose to insert yourself into the conversation you gotta be prepared for the conversation/debate that follows. Especially if you are just being dismissive of the person doing the calling out. 

Not saying there's no room for debate... (alot of stereotypes are true to life) but you aren't really contributing to the conversation by dismissing someones point of view and then running away. 

27 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

The problem is, this chick is calling out stereotypical representation in the media of asian women. If you choose to insert yourself into the conversation you gotta be prepared for the conversation/debate that follows. Especially if you are just being dismissive of the person doing the calling out. 

Not saying there's no room for debate... (alot of stereotypes are true to life) but you aren't really contributing to the conversation by dismissing someones point of view and then running away. 

Oh, I'm really sorry then. I didn't even understand it was a stereotype, won't do that again, thanks for explaining ^^