Record Store Day - Everybody November 25, 2022

RUADJAI

17 minutes ago, wonderboy said:

the new cover is the outer sleeve, the original cover is the inner sleeve.

Understandable honestly. The OG was ONLY used because they wanted to pretend Madonna was black. There is an underlying history of blackfishing. Regardless, they could have and should have used a more fitting image for the cover. Preferably, the image used on the back of her first two singles.

2 hours ago, wonderboy said:

image.png.c10204e91e6936c10ef1f7dc4004cd36.png

That is pretty cool honestly! I’m assuming that the inside sleeve is textless! That means we can scan both sides and use that for fanmade mockups of the original single. 😍 A dream for designers! The idea of using the collage without Madonna for the inside sleeve is very smart and pretty.

6 hours ago, GregVsMatt said:

It's definitely from Rhino :)

4 hours ago, DJ PHIBES said:

Take a look at this...

https://www.rhino.com/article/rhino-1s-madonna-0

September 24 2013.

Lol I don't doubt the release is genuine, I was specifically referring to the image with the inner picture sleeve. Has anyone seen this image anywhere outside of this forum? 

image.png.c10204e91e6936c10ef1f7dc4004cd36.png.10c495fa2c1d4137e03debbe1f456ff2.png

Reminds of this 'release map' someone posted... 

SmartSelect_20220927_213708_Edge.jpg.be7407d7d91931d58197d859f69c9d0b.jpg

3 minutes ago, MatterCompressor said:

Lol I don't doubt the release is genuine, I was specifically referring to the image with the inner picture sleeve. Has anyone seen this image anywhere outside of this forum? 

image.png.c10204e91e6936c10ef1f7dc4004cd36.png.10c495fa2c1d4137e03debbe1f456ff2.png

Reminds of this 'release map' someone posted... 

SmartSelect_20220927_213708_Edge.jpg.be7407d7d91931d58197d859f69c9d0b.jpg

I'd love it if the fairly drab outer sleeve thing just turned out to be another fan job

37 minutes ago, MatterCompressor said:

It's right here, under the Black Friday section... https://media.rhino.com/node?page=1Madonna_Everybody_40th_1LPBlack.jpg

On 9/30/2022 at 10:56 PM, MPowered said:

Understandable honestly. The OG was ONLY used because they wanted to pretend Madonna was black. There is an underlying history of blackfishing. Regardless, they could have and should have used a more fitting image for the cover. Preferably, the image used on the back of her first two singles.

That’s a good point. I suppose that’s the real reason they changed it.

I very much doubt the label wanted to pretend she was a black artist by not featuring her on the cover. To what end in a white male dominated music industry where white artists made up the bulk of the charts? Olivia Newton John's Physical, Soft Cell's Tainted Love and The Human League's Don't You Want Me were some of the biggest club hits of 1982. Disco was over.

Much more likely a scenario is that they were having difficulty in figuring out the best image to push ahead with for this pushy firecracker of an artist. Even the Burning Up cover featured her as a cartoon strip! Right up until the Spring of 1983 when the Edo Bertoglio original album cover was put forward and then scrapped they were clearly not on solid footing image-wise.

Leaving things ambiguous on the first single whilst they figured out how to present her to he world was a stall tactic, not 'black-fishing'.

1 hour ago, Bjonkers said:

I very much doubt the label wanted to pretend she was a black artist by not featuring her on the cover. To what end in a white male dominated music industry where white artists made up the bulk of the charts? Olivia Newton John's Physical, Soft Cell's Tainted Love and The Human League's Don't You Want Me were some of the biggest club hits of 1982. Disco was over.

Much more likely a scenario is that they were having difficulty in figuring out the best image to push ahead with for this pushy firecracker of an artist. Even the Burning Up cover featured her as a cartoon strip! Right up until the Spring of 1983 when the Edo Bertoglio original album cover was put forward and then scrapped they were clearly not on solid footing image-wise.

Leaving things ambiguous on the first single whilst they figured out how to present her to he world was a stall tactic, not 'black-fishing'.

That is what happened though. Because the single was popular with a black and Hispanic audience and people thought she was black so they left her face off of the cover for that reason.

2 hours ago, Bjonkers said:

Michael Rosenblatt, her A&R at the time, decided it to to it that way:

"I didn’t want her picture on the cover of the “Everybody” single, because I thought I could get a lot of R&B play on that record, because a lot of people thought she was black."

https://www.rollingstone.com/feature/how-madonna-became-madonna-an-oral-history-94288/

• Enrico unfeatured this topic
  • RUADJAI unpinned this topic