Erotica 30th Anniversary October 20th, 2022

RUADJAI

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Dannii Minogue gave it a good review in Smash Hits

I remember reading that!! She said something along the lines of "I absolutely love it and will play it at loads of parties"... I remember thinking, "I can't wait to be old enough to throw my own parties!" 

Fuck. 30 years. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

50 minutes ago, Bjonkers said:

I remember reading that!! She said something along the lines of "I absolutely love it and will play it at loads of parties"... I remember thinking, "I can't wait to be old enough to throw my own parties!" 

Fuck. 30 years. 

Someone posted it on Instagram the other day :lol: 

Erotica is a mood for me. I don’t typically choose it for background music. Usually more for thought or grooving by myself. It’s heavy but clean. But Deeper and Deeper and Fever I drink like some white wine any day. And that performance of Why’s It So Hard on the Girlie Show? Talk about about a post orgy Julius Caesar speech. So gorgeous!

9 minutes ago, Jackie said:

I don't see anything negative, I see an opinion that everyone is welcome to have, good or bad. Do not continue to attack members for having an alternate view - this is your final warning @Simonsays.

They're now targeting DrownedBoy and flinging names on their profile. 

1 hour ago, Blue Jean said:

Can’t believe all these fans don’t like Erotica. I had no idea.

It's such a non mainstream pop thing.

One of the first CDs I ever bought and the first M album I got the day it came out.

I struggled for a long time with it, some tracks I loved from day 1 and still do (Fever, WLB, BG, WISH, SG), singles that I thought were chaotic upgrades of JML and Vogue but that grew on me with the remixes (Erotica, D&D), fillers or repetitive tracks (BBB,  Waiting, TOH, Words, ITL). Rain is one of her singles that I still don't like really, even if I can obviously sing it by heart. TOH and Words sounded like the worst cheap dance hits of the 90s but I have come to like them recently, because they're fun and bring a cheeky twist to a mostly melancholic and bitter album. In the end, sex is hardly the subject. It's a metaphor and a way to tease the listener into deeper matters love, life, loneliness and death are all over the record.

She wasn't the über confident, attractive and clichéed 80's chick, nor the crowdpleaser who gained rockstar status with LAP and BAT, she was telling something else and taking a different road.

But the imagery was very sexy. I liked that too. As a 17yo teen, not out as gay yet but already questioning my orientation, unsatisfied with social gender roles, it was important. I'll always remember watching the Erotica video lying highly sedated on a hospital bed, it looked wonderful. (Yes they showed the video on the French charts show in the afternoon)

The whole project was so adventurous and the production sometimes disturbing. I really get where she wanted to go, take on new trends as she did 10 years before with the post-disco / bubbly funk of the first album, and embrace the NYC energy that she liked. Rich songwriting, poetic lyrically, pop for grownups. She has always came back and forth between the simplest tunes and complex concepts, and Erotica pushed the limit even further because she probably wanted to test how far she could go after the huge and controversial success of JML.

She was competing with Michael Jackson (hard-hitting Dangerous), Prince (sexy and groovy Diamonds and Pearls) and George Michael (Listen Without Prejudice, another unspokenly queer album with AIDS looming), not any female artist. That's why I think now it's so ballsy and a tremendous, though uneven opus.

26 minutes ago, Celebration said:

I was so disappointed when ToH wasn't released as a single.

My hope is that there's a remix of it hiding in Shep's vault, ready for inclusion of a future Erotica Deluxe Box Set! :)

It’s all Melissa’s fault! She put it out first in 1984, helped by Moroder, Jellybean and Michael Hutchinson! That is why M refused to release it ! 🤣

image.jpeg.0c3dc9886375f9c862b7b5627949de65.jpeg

This album signifies A LOT for me. I remember bugging my parents to buy it for me. We had a pizza party or something at the time when I was in grade 5, I brought my boom box to school and played the Erotica album...then...BEGGED my parents to take me to go see her live...my first M concert The Girlie Show. I never got to see Sex for many years later. However my parents allowed me to watch Body of Evidence (whined I just wanted to see it bc it was Madonna); got lots of posters such as Bad Girl cover art. My jam was obv Erotica, Deeper, Waiting, and BG. The whole album is dope and probably one of my top 3. I want more anniversary releases. May get the cover art tattooed lol

1 hour ago, Lisa Powerhouse said:

What did you do, put the video on to distract him? 

I just sat there hoping he wouldn’t realize what it was. I think he enjoyed what he saw of the concert though…

It is also because of him I never attended The Girlie Show in person. I only got to see Kylie Minogue 😂