guys 

she started looking for a trainerr

[and a butler and a bodyg...]

she is getting ready for the stage.

the movie was shelved probably 

the re invention we were waiting is coming hashtag very soon

now how soon is that

:)

Very exciting to see her post this! Curious to see what’s ahead…

fans are fogetting that mainstream success for a tour does not depend on the mega fans who will put up with anything... successful tours are attended by average concert goers who want to see a performer they like, not neccessarily adore, and these people don't owe a superstar anything.

23 hours ago, eXtremeOccident said:

For all the fans that say "but she's the Queen, she only tours every 4 years, she's worth waiting for, etc. etc." about the 11 PM start times...

...let's do a little exercise here for a second.

What if you were at a Beyonce concert that had a ticket time of 7:30 PM and she showed up at 11 PM and you couldn't get home because all public transportation shut down, along with having to go to work the next day?

What if you were at a Taylor Swift concert that had a ticket time of 7:30 PM and she showed up at 11 PM and you couldn't get home because all public transportation shut down, along with having to go to work the next day?

What if you were at an Adele concert that had a ticket time of 7:30 PM and she showed up at 11 PM and you couldn't get home because all public transportation shut down, along with having to go to work the next day?

They're all "Queens" smashing with records in different areas of pop music as well. They're idolized by their respective fan bases. So, do you think the fans would all just accept it and say "well, they're the Queen, they can do what they want"?

No, it's a ridiculous assertion, and you all know a big chunk of their fanbases -- and you -- would be absolutely LIVID if it was any other artist that was doing what Madonna does. I've not been to a single concert in the 80+ shows I've seen that ended past 11-11:15 PM for any other artist. The latest anyone else has come on is 9:15 - 9:30, and even that has felt very late at times. Madonna is the grand exception to this, and honestly, even as a huge fan, I'm sick of the hassle that going to see her can be. I don't want to go to work the next day on 2-3 hours of sleep due to her not being able to show up on time. No, I can't just "take off the day because Madonna is worth it".

It's unacceptable for any artist to do it. Madonna is no exception. It's unprofessional and disrespectful. Period.

Sure, hell, some fans here would be fine with her starting at 5 AM. They'd be fine with setlists full of Candy Shop and I'm Going Bananas.

The general public -- the audience who is *actually* making it possible for her to put on big arena and stadium shows -- is absolutely NOT fine with this, and they're the ones paying a big chunk of her bills.

I really think there's some delusional optimism taking place right now about selling out a big arena or stadium tour...she may be able to sell out a very limited run of dates, but by and large, she's left a bad taste in the mouths of many, many tour attendees and ex-fans, and I'm not sure she ever is going to fully recover with her touring reputation.

We'll see what happens. I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

Never in the history of popstars.... has any popstar... started at the start time of the time on the ticket.  Ever.... That's the time the Venue (usually) opens its doors or the opening act begins. Usually, the main act starts 30 mins to 1 hour after the opening act ends.  So lets count the time.  Even if the opening act begins at 8pm, and lately for Madonna that means the DJ act spinning records will end around 9pm-ish.  She's not starting until closer to 10pm generally.  This should not surprise anyone and if your transportation issues are ever in question or possibly may not be running by the time the show ends, that is still the responsibility of the concert goer to arrange.  Not sure how old people are, but if you've been going to concerts (in the USA) since the 80s, you should know this.

Carry on.

34 minutes ago, LUKESAVANT said:

Never in the history of popstars.... has any popstar... started at the start time of the time on the ticket.  Ever.... That's the time the Venue (usually) opens its doors or the opening act begins. Usually, the main act starts 30 mins to 1 hour after the opening act ends.  So lets count the time.  Even if the opening act begins at 8pm, and lately for Madonna that means the DJ act spinning records will end around 9pm-ish.  She's not starting until closer to 10pm generally.  This should not surprise anyone and if your transportation issues are ever in question or possibly may not be running by the time the show ends, that is still the responsibility of the concert goer to arrange.  Not sure how old people are, but if you've been going to concerts (in the USA) since the 80s, you should know this.

Carry on.

Thank you.

I might add that the most exciting concerts I attended in my life didn't start on time. 

If people want to be in bed by 10pm, they should go to the movies.

2 hours ago, djnathanashby said:

Sorry. I gotta call this out. I've worked in Marketing at a major entertainment venue for the last decade. I've had lots of big name acts come through. I've never seen a headline act start three hours late from the ticket time. Never. Does it happen in other venues occasionally? I'm sure when there are circumstances that warrent it. But no, it's not the norm.

Staff gets a run-time sheet days -sometimes weeks before a show. Assuming it was an 8pm ticket, they usually run like this:

• 7:00pm -- Doors open

• 8:00-8:30pm -- support act

• 9pm - Headliner; 85 minute runtime; no intermission

Deviating from the run-time sheets almost always incur overtime costs for the, mainly local, union stage crew but also the venue staff. Penalties are usually built into contracts so this doesn't happen. I suspect this is why a lot of stops on her previous tours had abbreviated setlists: the venue threatened fines for a late start time and pushing their crew into overtime.

Yes, I as a longtime Madonna fan, know that she won't start on time. I expect it and plan my night around it.

But lets not pretend that starting 3 hours after the ticketing time is normal behavior. I work in this industry. It's not.

I hear you and respect your position.  But you've also proven my point, somewhat.  And I will agree with all of you that had to wait 3 hours. after an opening act, that is not common where I've been to see Madonna.  Maximum about 1.5 hours after opening act. 

Lol, I will wait regardless. There’s usually Ubers out late or you know, parking last for for 12-24 hours. I realize that’s not everyone’s reality though and that’s cool. I know my limits and waiting for her given I’ve missed sooooo many tours outweighs living early because she’s late. But in comparison, most acts come on by 9 but I’ve had a couple closer to 10. I was out really late regardless and usually had to drive home to SC from Atlanta or Charlotte or Raleigh, getting home by 3am. But again, for the general public, she really would do best to get on stage by 10pm if she’s gonna be late. 9:30pm if lucky. 

She was on time many years ago.

When she performed in Sweden 1990, she started the show around 8.15pm.

I've been to alot of concerts, and Madonna is later than anyone else. Michael Jackson started his show at 9.00pm sharp in 1997, and he was the biggest star on the planet!

IF she goes on tour next year, it'll be very interesting to see how things go...

I guess some of you guys have never been to many concerts?

Guns n' Roses comes to mind, I waited for them for hours and hours

Prince's shows started at like 2AM :cry:

went to a Lauryn Hill one wasted like 2.5-3 hours waiting, think she was very high btw

I've heard Kanye kept some fans waiting for 4 hours (never been to any of his shows )

anyway there's tons of examples, some acts apologize, some don't, some lose a few fans, some stay anyway...

went to see NIN once and they were like 15 min late and Trent apologized ( profusely!)

A ton of people have had positive experiences at a M concert, but I guess the ones dissatisfied with her are louder, specially on a M forum where people expect perfection from her every  single time

don't wanna wait? not even for your "favorite artist" ? just don't go! that's what I did with GnR -and a few others, not Madonna tho- :thinker:

it could be worse like with an artist who left them waiting until 5AM only to be told there wasn't gonna be a show that day (guess the artist!) - glad I wasn't there btw -

I saw Lady Gaga in Toronto at The Warehouse "back in the day" she was 2 hours late. The crowd chanted "fuck you. Fuck you" she came out from behind the curtain with both middle fingers in the air. MX Tour...M was the latest shes ever been. But whatever. I'd watch her fart into a can if I could -- so. 

4 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

The one time Madonna came on before 10pm I missed the first 2 songs :lol: 

I felt she was on time at the first Rebel Heart night in Melbourne - she came on I think just after 10pm - unfortunately that was the earlier lol - the latest I think was the last night in Sydney - she same on almost at 11:30pm.

If the ticket time says 8pm and shes not on stage until 10 or 11pm then she's literally not on time. The fact that its a constant discussion here among 30-year fans who now expect it means that it's likely a bigger issue and problem for the general audience who don't.

On 10/23/2022 at 8:03 AM, vadge said:

We can't really speak on her lateness as fans, because most of us (me included) would wait hours for her anyway. Anyone downplaying her lateness must be forgetting that the reason she can tour and sell out arenas/stadiums is because of the general public and not us. 

Yeah… the general public has made complaints about the lateness too. I’d even say more so than fans…

At last Madonna will start her world tour in Latin America. It was about time because we were always the last to be able to enjoy it live. By the way, something I've noticed watching videos of her latest tours around the world on YouTube is the decrease in public enthusiasm when seeing Madonna live. For example, I see videos of the Confessions Tour where people scream until they lose their voices and then I see videos of the Mdna Tour or the Rebel Heart Tour and the public is colder and I can't explain why. Maybe it's the new songs that the public doesn't like at all or that sings the same classics in unrecognizable versions. The truth is I don't know what the reason will be but definitely the reaction of the public is not the same as that of the era of the confessions tour and previous ones.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic
  • Enrico featured this topic
  • Jackie locked and unfeatured this topic