New STADIUM Tour in 2023

Régine Filange

10 hours ago, vadge said:

Is she really though? She was able to achieve that thanks to Hot 100's ever-changing rules

Yes, but she was the only one that achieved that.... nobody is preventing the other stars from achieving the same.

Everyone is a product of their own time... MJ and Madonna had MTV, Taylor has Spotify.

Madonna could take some notes on how Taylor and her team have done ‘Taylor’s Version’ reissues.

I’d love for M to do something similar with her upcoming deluxe reissues. Treat them like a new album with new videos, loads of new content for fans. This would be a great way to reintroduce her past masterpieces to old and new fans. 

On 11/8/2022 at 3:36 AM, LUKESAVANT said:

I gave Taylor's album a good honest try/listen.  They all sound the same and was missing catchy pop hooks and the special "something".  I am perplexed how she does so well with that body of work, but its not up to me to judge... apparently she has some magic I just can't grasp.  But more power to her and good for her!  Its just not for me.

She sucks

On 11/8/2022 at 4:13 AM, Shoful said:

I don’t get why people are bashing Taylor in here. She’s doing a “greatest hits” because she’s released 4 albums since her last one and she’s re-recording her old albums to gain ownership of them. Taylor is in an interesting place because Midnights is an effect of her re-recording process. An album that relies on her past works and is retrospective hence why several of the songs recall to songs from her older albums. It works because she is redoing every song in her catalogue 

Because we don’t like her or her crap music.

10 minutes ago, vadge said:

Abysmal was a hyperbole, but her discography has its fair share of mediocre duds that find just as much success as her greatest moments. Unlike any other pop girl (bar Rihanna maybe)

When her weakest songs are just as big as her best, it just means fans are buying (streaming) whatever shit she puts out. Real artists had to course correct when they flopped, or stand by experimentations and risk their commercial appeal. Taylor has had privilege to do whatever she wants with guaranteed success.

This doesnt invalidate everything Taylor has done, but it does means she can never stand next to the greats of pop music who fought for their success. 

I don't think that's true at all. She's had many songs "flop" or just hit high numbers for the first week or so. That's also a hyperbole. Evermore's singles alone did not do all that well apart from Willow.

22 minutes ago, vadge said:

I'm talking about Taylor Swift specifically, not the age of streaming.

do you have a beef with her because she's so different from Madonna so you can't credit Madonna for her success, what's happening here?

She fought for her success when she was a teenage kid writing her own music.

25 minutes ago, vadge said:

Evermores singles produced a Hot 100 #1. As did the other 3 albums she released in the span of 2 years. She has never ever ever flopped.

Taylor is literally the most successful female artist in the world right now. What were we gaining from pretending she isnt?

You said her weakest songs perform as well as her best - I was telling you that wasn't the case. Willow went #1, (which I said in my initial post) but NBNC barely cracked Top 40 and Coney Island didn't even hit Top 60. Betty from folklore didn't even hit Top 40, and I think that's one of her best songs. In fact, I didn't really start listening to her till folklore (just casually as of 1989, and I'm using that term loosely lol).

My point being: not EVERYTHING she does is a huge hit, especially with folkore/evermore. That's impossible. I'm almost sure most of the Midnights songs that hit Top 10 won't stay anywhere near where they are now.

EDIT: I'm not pretending she's not the most successful female in the world btw. I literally said she's doing a lot of things right?

2 minutes ago, vadge said:

You're listing album tracks...

They were sent to country radio, so they're singles to some degree. Betty even had a live CMA performance that aired on TV and a digital single released alongside it. In essence... not every song gets equally or even similarly huge just because it's "released." Has this whole "real artists" narrative ever really worked out for artists who are around in the long run?

2 hours ago, androiduser said:

great, so she deserved it and fought for her success.

Well which artists that are successful didn’t fight for their success? Bit of a moot point to be honest.

She is not untalented but I think most people would agree her music is highly overrated. Her lyrics sound like a 17 year old wrote them. Her voice is ordinary. She’s an average performer. Her style, no matter what genre she does is always derivative. It’s good marketing only.

And politically she stands for nothing.

• Enrico unfeatured this topic
  • Enrico featured this topic
  • Jackie locked and unfeatured this topic