The Erotica 30th anniversary (Performances, Interviews, etc)

Erotico

Her best era, a huge mediatic phenomenon (I don't remember anything else like this), such a brave and significant statement, one of her most inspired and experimental records (house, soul, hip hop, raggae, disco and jazz all so cohesively blended: my absolute favourite), with ROL her most interesting visuals and looks and, MOST OF ALL, HER BEST TOUR EVER. 

1 hour ago, stefo said:

Her best era, a huge mediatic phenomenon (I don't remember anything else like this), such a brave and significant statement, one of her most inspired and experimental records (house, soul, hip hop, raggae, disco and jazz all so cohesively blended: my absolute favourite), with ROL her most interesting visuals and looks and, MOST OF ALL, HER BEST TOUR EVER. 

I am so torn which tour is her best, its like picking children.

On 10/21/2022 at 6:20 AM, Desolation Row said:

Just like you I absolutely adore the Erotica Era but we can agree to disagree regarding her best tour, I saw Blond Ambition and The Girlie Show in person and for me it was not even close.

Yeah, you know, I'm sure that for different reasons everyone of us has different feelings and preferences, maybe especially about the live experiences.

For me the Girlie Show is the best because I think she was able to brilliantly combine a kind of warmth, authenticity (something I would say about WTG and maybe part of RH) to such a sophisticated project, fully inspired by theatre and circus (MX was a missed opportunity about that). I think of the intro for example or tracks like Why's it so Hard, I'm going banans/La Isla Bonita, Rain, Like a Virgin, Justify My Love. She also made very brave and effective choices (10, 11 minutes long tracks, like Holiday or Everybody, the Indian coreo and arrangement of a house song like Vogue, the Unrat waltz version of Like a Virgin or The Rain Dance are excellent examples). The sceneries and the theatrics were all essential, elegant and dark and the D&G costumes were certainly less iconic than Gaultier's, but so beautiful for me (I mean, the whole 70s patchwork wardrobe, the Victorian dresses and the maritime tshirt with the frak trousers). 

Musically she litterally reinvented the sound of the album, an amazing work (especially with Erotica, Fever, Rain and Why's it so hard), she went back to a more live, rough sound (BA was closer to the kind of sound she choose from the DWT on imo), she cited and perfectly integrated a loooot of material I love (from Marvin Gaye, to the Temptations, from Sly and the Family Stone to Marlene) and gave a lot of well deserved space to NIcky and Donna vocally. I adore BA, but I think it's colder and the incredible level of the first number, the whole second act and the finale is not always mantained during the show, (there are some weak numbers for me, like Now I'm following you, Material girl, Cherish, Causing a commotion, even Into the groove is not that much). The only track I find boring from the Girlie Show is In this life, and yet it's got a strong message. As I told in the beginning, I think it's just a matter of preferences. Said that, BA is absolutely amazing and surely her most iconic tour :heart:

1 hour ago, stefo said:

Yeah, you know, I'm sure that for different reasons everyone of us has different feelings and preferences, maybe especially about the live experiences.

For me the Girlie Show is the best because I think she was able to brilliantly combine a kind of warmth, authenticity (something I would tell about WTG and maybe part of RH) to such a sophisticated project, fully inspired by theatre and circus (MX was such a missed opportunity about that). I think of the intro for example or tracks like Why's it so Hard, I'm going banans/La Isla Bonita, Rain, Like a Virgin, Justify My Love. She also made very brave and effective choices (10, 11 minutes long tracks, like Holiday or Everybody, the Indian coreo and arrangement of a house song like Vogue, the Unrat waltz version of Like a Virgin or The Rain Dance are excellent examples). The sceneries and the theatrics were all essential, elegant and dark and the D&G costumes were certainly less iconic than Gautier's, but so beautiful for me (I mean, the whole 70s patchwork wardrobe, the Victorian dresses and the maritime tshirt with the frak trousers). 

Musically she litterally reinvented the sound of the album, an amazing work (especially with Erotica, Fever, Rain and Why's it so hard), she went back to a more live, rough sound (BA was closer to the kind of sound she choose from the DWT on imo), she cited and perfectly integrated a loooot of material I love (from Marvin Gaye, to the Temptations, to Marlene) and gave a lot of well deserved space to NIcky and Donna vocally. I adore BA, but I think it's colder and the incredible level of the first number, the whole second act and the finale is not always mantained during the show, (there are some weak numbers for me, like Now I'm following you, Material girl, Cherish, Causing a commotion, even Into the groove is not that much). The only track I find boring from the Girlie Show is In this life, and yet it's got a strong message. As I told in the beginning, I think it's just a matter of preferences. Said that, BA is absolutely amazing and surely her most iconic tour :heart:

remembering the first time watching GS and saw the Topless one, the FEVER performance and the orgy section....  it was ....... 

Unfortunately I wasn't born yet in 1992, I came to the world in 1996 - and I must say: Erotica is, absolutely, her best album and era.

It was a shock for the society to see the most famous and powerful woman in the world expressing her desires, her fantasies, being such a gentle a humble person who treated us like normal people (something that big part of society didn't). They couldn't accept all of this, and she fought for us, she fought for her own survival, and here we are 30 years later.

This album has some of my favorite songs ever, including my favorite song/music video of her entire career (Bad Girl), and for sure this was my first glimpse at the BDSM world and what made me very curious about it - if i'm a sub today, I must thank Dita for showing me that indeed there's a certain satisfaction in a little bit of pain.

2 hours ago, into the erotico said:

that look from the d&g party! why did she agreed to that? what is the stylistic reference?

It came straight from the D&G runway show that day. The relaunched the 70's style. I absolutely hate that hat. The stole though reappeared in the Deeper and Deeper video (which kept that 70's aesthetic)

On 10/21/2022 at 6:47 PM, Robertthenurse said:

Guys...I could have sworn the Erotica era included an interview dressed as the same in Jon Ross interview where she was smoking a cigar during the interview. Does this exist? Or was it a fact of my imagination at 12 years old lol

In The pic above she has got a cigar, but maybe you are confusing it with letterman 94? 

Bbc one interview 1992