"Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !

Askeroff

4 minutes ago, Sillynate said:

All those unofficial releases...

:Madonna003:

Emily, if you're reading this please make an official release in December. "Frozen" Sickick remix was released in December 2021 and now has almost 104M streams on Spotify a year later. Makes sense to do release it.

Doooo iittt... doooo iiitt...

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Slut Dragon said:

I guess I meant to say something else. Wouldn't this release complicate publishing rights and payments?

I don't think she needs the co-writers permission to release it on digital, it's all about who owns the master - and she does, as far as we know. The co-writers would just get payed the % they're credited for, as usual.

But there are two different versions of the song:

- The 2014 "Rebel Heart" demo and the one trending now slowed down: this was unreleased, so she would own 100% the master, unless the Interscope deal of exclusive licensing for a number of years included also demos for each project.

- The 2019 "Madame X" 2CD reworked version, this was released only on physical so Warner would need to license it from Interscope to release it now.

It's a little messy maybe, would be easier if anything pre-"MDNA" was trending. :tongue:

5 hours ago, Prayer said:

I don't think she needs the co-writers permission to release it on digital, it's all about who owns the master - and she does, as far as we know. The co-writers would just get payed the % they're credited for, as usual.

But there are two different versions of the song:

- The 2014 "Rebel Heart" demo and the one trending now sped up: this was unreleased, so she would own 100% the master, unless the Interscope deal of exclusive licensing for a number of years included also demos for each project.

- The 2019 "Madame X" 2CD reworked version, this was released only on physical so Warner would need to license it from Interscope to release it now.

It's a little messy maybe, would be easier if anything pre-"MDNA" was trending. :tongue:

The 2014 demo version could be easily releases as a  Toy Boy Inc. release since she have the own rights (at least until 2024)🤨😏

13 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Is she really using tiktok as a barometer for her legacy now then ? So if some tween creates a video to a song she really hates she’s going to use that as a promotional campaign . That’s really sad imo - as if tweens have any musical taste …

Idk if this was being ironic because current trends come out of that platform. No different than music videos out of MTV, singers being picked up from YouTube. So yeah, my generation is setting trends. Can we be happy it’s Madonna benefitting yet again. 

14 hours ago, wtg1987 said:

Is she really using tiktok as a barometer for her legacy now then ? So if some tween creates a video to a song she really hates she’s going to use that as a promotional campaign . That’s really sad imo - as if tweens have any musical taste …

Tik Tok is just a current platform like MTV was back in the day.  Also, I'm not sure you understand who uses Tik Tok.  Tweens are youngsters younger than thirteen.  Most people I see on Tik Tok are far much older. Some in their 20's and 30's. In fact, there has been alot of push back on that platform because older people are using it.  Madonna isn't simply using TIK TOK "as a promotional campaign". If that was the case, she would have done a number of "promotional" videos for Material Girl, Angel, Papa Don't Preach which have been quite popular on TIK TOK.  Also, what gives you the idea that, "Back That Up To The Beat" is a song Madonna hates?  Especially since that song has been a demo since Rebel Heart?   You say "as if Tweens have any musical taste", but that's exactly the fan base she started with in the early 80's.  The fact is; music industry has been primarily youth oriented, so let's not act like or pretend why we don't understand why Madonna is still trying to appeal to a younger generation.  We need to remember, she can't just rely on old fans to carry on her legacy. She has to appeal to younger generations.  It may not be your cup of tea, but back in the 80's, Madonna wasn't the cup of tea for 50's, 60's and some 70's generation.

Edited by tscott (see edit history)

• Askeroff changed the title to "Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !
  • RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic