"Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !

Askeroff

45 minutes ago, Andreo said:

Tell me just ONE fucking good reason to add autotune and to cut the melody removing "the beat" from the lyrics, hearing it stop before singing that part is so unsatisfying and unnerving!!!  Why the 🦆 does she have to ruin it?! 😭

because she wants so hard to flop again. 

On 12/21/2022 at 4:21 AM, Blue Jean said:

Record companies have the final say over what goes. Even Michael Jackson had fights with Sony about certain decisions.

I know they do, but i can't imagine that someone like Madonna wouldn't be able to get her way if she had really dig her heels in.  But I know that the record companies generally call the shots.  And you'd think that with so many classic albums and artists that have been passed up/not signed/told to re-record/etc. that some of these corporations would know better by now.  There are so many tales out there of record companies claiming that "this band has no talent" or "this record will never sell" that then go on to sell 25 gazillion albums that you would think they'd have maybe learned something at this point.

On 12/21/2022 at 7:27 AM, TonyMontana said:

If someone can dig my comments from back then i've said several times that Back That Up was THE track from Rebel Heart that every non fans loved instantly. I remember people i know who do not give a damn about M and most of all young people were LOVING that track. That was not like "ok among all the tracks that one is nice", they really wanted to have the track in their playlist and listen to it. I've said it several times during the last 8 years. 

It's hilarious, cuz IMO that demo was by some distance the absolute worst out of the, what, 40 songs she recorded for that album?  The Madame X version is way better (again, just my own opinion), but I don't think that any incarnation of this song can come close to her truly brilliant moments.

46 minutes ago, momosfantasy said:

I know they do, but i can't imagine that someone like Madonna wouldn't be able to get her way if she had really dig her heels in.  But I know that the record companies generally call the shots.  And you'd think that with so many classic albums and artists that have been passed up/not signed/told to re-record/etc. that some of these corporations would know better by now.  There are so many tales out there of record companies claiming that "this band has no talent" or "this record will never sell" that then go on to sell 25 gazillion albums that you would think they'd have maybe learned something at this point.

There are more than a few occassions Madonna didn't get her way over the years that we know about and sometimes that really was a good thing. She didn't want Rescue Me to be a single, she did want Impressive Instant to be a single, she didn't want American Pie on the Music album or Die Another Day on American Life, she wanted Candy Shop to be Hard Candy's first single, the less said about the blackface Hard Candy cover the better... I'm sure there are others. People always sneer at those who make the decisions at record companies but they didn't get to where they were by making bad decisions. The Interscope years seem to be when she had the most influence over release decisions and look how that turned out.

On 12/21/2022 at 8:32 AM, momosfantasy said:

Thank you!!  I always thought the final tracklist was really incohesive, it makes sense that it was a record company screw up.  I see why she picked the singles she did, but I think it was a mistake to only use songs from the early damage control EP.  That got a lot of media attention, and I would imagine that a lot of the more casual/curious listeners bought those songs, making it kind of silly to release them as singles as opposed to songs that those people may not have already heard/owned (and it's not like any of the remixes for them were exactly revolutionary).

I also am surprised that she gave into the record company about the original two-album concept.  I mean, bitch, she's Madonna!  How can a mere record company exec tell her how she can present her work?  I was SO excited about it, and it still remains one of my favorite eras.  I know M was really unhappy about the way things panned out with that record, but I thought hearing the demos and the evolution of those songs was fascinating, even if the final result isn't what I would have chosen.  The final album is really, really good, but it had the potential to be, IMO, a career defining record for her.

Maybe it sounds weird, but at this point I wish her record company would take more control. Madonna isn't the same artist, she has become out of touch.

Rebel Heart album was focused on quantity. What is the point of a double CD album if the one CD album had too many fillers?

There were demos that were basic, but nice, yet she decided to overproduce them and add other elements to make them more "creative". On the other side, there were basic, but bad songs, yet she didn't rework them a lot. 

Madonna blamed everyone but herself. She could have continued reworking the album and changed the original plans. The same goes for MDNA album. All she did was talking about "artistry" and bitching about too many cooks in the kitchen.

Why bother to make some commercial songs and not promote them? She could have milked another hit from HC. She could have promoted MDNA singles and had some solid top 20 hit singles. Instead of celebrating her legacy in the 2010s, she made it really hard for general public to like her with her Instagram antics and other stuff. And it translated from one era to another.

And she sabotaged herself again with RH. All the songs that became singles were released in 2014, and later when they were officially released as singles it wasn't an event. 

She finally had an opportunity to have a hit with Dua Lipa, but they decided to fuck it up with an inferior remix. Maybe it wasn't Madonna's fault, but the shit is happening again with Back That Up. Instead of releasing the demo version that people like, Madonna goes to studio to make a messy and less accessible version. It is Madonna who wants it that way, not her record company which obviously would serve what people want. Yes, it would be weird to release a demo, when there is the official Madame X version, but she could remaster the demo, add a few subtle elements, and label it as a remix and it wouldn't be a big deal for her and people would be satisfied. 

I don't get why she makes it so hard. First she made silly remixes for her classics with shitty videos, and she thought she did something great for her legacy and her fans. And now she is making such a big deal about Back That Up. It is fucking Pharrell, maker of crappy songs. She should just release the demo and go with the flow, like she does for quite some time. 

Can we say that Back up to the beat is already confirmed for Madonna's new 2023 tour? There are already two songs with strong potential to be included in the tour given the relevance they have gained recently: Back up to the beat and Gambler and what other surprises will come later. For my part, I'm still waiting for a live version of Rescue Me so I can die in peace, but yes, respecting the album version and not experimenting like she did on Madame X Tour.

I don’t understand what Warner’s say is now in her career ? Are they just leaving her to get on with it or just saying  she needs to follow whatever shite is popular with the brain dead fickle tiktok generation - is this really what is driving this “legacy “ campaign now ? There doesn’t seem to be any consistency with it and where is the first album re-issue it has it been delayed while she whores out probably one of the worst songs from her most painful era ?? 🥹

1 hour ago, wtg1987 said:

I don’t understand what Warner’s say is now in her career ? Are they just leaving her to get on with it or just saying  she needs to follow whatever shite is popular with the brain dead fickle tiktok generation - is this really what is driving this “legacy “ campaign now ? There doesn’t seem to be any consistency with it and where is the first album re-issue it has it been delayed while she whores out probably one of the worst songs from her most painful era ?? 🥹

Nothing has been delayed.  Why do you and others try keep insisting this?  You do reaalize, her 40th Anniversary in the business has just started?  Why can't you be patient and wait for what's to come in the new year when her Debut album and follow up singles to "Everybody" hit their 40th mark?  It's pretty clear to me that they are rolling this out as the anniversary rolls around.  Keep in mind, the press statement for this whole deal said this is a "multi-year" deal.  FEL was the first big 'new' product from this deal.  I have faith that as certain anniversaries come around in the next year or so, is when we will see the album re-issues come along.  I'm sure they are wanting to roll the first re-issue, coinciding with the 40th release of her debut album.  I also think it's a good thing that we've seen some time has been put into this.  Let's wait for the first re-release before freaking out about delays and believing nothing is really coming.  We've also heard from some credible members here  (and other sources) such as @GregVsMattabout the next 18 months has some pretty incredible things lined up for us.  I understand the wait is unbearable, but I believe in the new year, we are going to be bombarded with a lot of great things coming our way. :)

Edited by tscott (see edit history)

3 hours ago, tscott said:

Nothing has been delayed.  Why do you and others try keep insisting this?  You do reaalize, her 40th Anniversary in the business has just started?  Why can't you be patient and wait for what's to come in the new year when her Debut album and follow up singles to "Everybody" hit their 40th mark?  It's pretty clear to me that they are rolling this out as the anniversary rolls around.  Keep in mind, the press statement for this whole deal said this is a "multi-year" deal.  FEL was the first big 'new' product from this deal.  I have faith that as certain anniversaries come around in the next year or so, is when we will see the album re-issues come along.  I'm sure they are wanting to roll the first re-issue, coinciding with the 40th release of her debut album.  I also think it's a good thing that we've seen some time has been put into this.  Let's wait for the first re-release before freaking out about delays and believing nothing is really coming.  We've also heard from some credible members here  (and other sources) such as @GregVsMattabout the next 18 months has some pretty incredible things lined up for us.  I understand the wait is unbearable, but I believe in the new year, we are going to be bombarded with a lot of great things coming our way. :)

That user is notoriously negative and has complained non stop at every opportunity on almost every M topic, disregarding facts and evidence and making up his/her/they own narrative suggesting M has lost interest in the catalogue reissue campaign among many other unfounded allegations and lies.

@tscottlet's continue to focus on the positive - 2023 will be a bigger year than 2022 I think and we have some big anniversaries coming up that will no doubt be celebrated :)

10 hours ago, Andreo said:

Tell me just ONE fucking good reason to add autotune and to cut the melody removing "the beat" from the lyrics, hearing it stop before singing that part is so unsatisfying and unnerving!!!  Why the 🦆 does she have to ruin it?! 😭

Imagine extending the name from "Back That Up" to "Back That Up to the Beat" and then removing the word "beat" in the song itself...

:suffer:

How annoyed would people be if this becomes her last song to chart on the Billboard lol

5 hours ago, Glassy24 said:

Imagine extending the name from "Back That Up" to "Back That Up to the Beat" and then removing the word "beat" in the song itself...

:suffer:

How annoyed would people be if this becomes her last song to chart on the Billboard lol

This. Like, why would she even do that??? 

To me the song is automatically ruined with the "the beat" chopped off from the chorus idc. It really ruins the flow of the lyrics and the melody A LOT. So disappointed if we only get that reworked version and not a single EP with the demo and MX remix... 

• Askeroff changed the title to "Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !
  • RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic