"Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !

Askeroff

1 hour ago, androiduser said:

not sure if Back That Up is successful enough on TikTok to chart on the Hot 100. Bloody Mary is a much bigger viral hit, and it only managed to chart in the Bubbling Under. Mary could do better once the holiday songs disappear from the charts in January, but it probably won't do better than #80 or something

I've never used TikTok tbh, my friend showed me it and I could see the appeal to people with no attention span but beyond that I wasn't interested. Bloody Mary charted in the UK singles chart last week at 57 and this week climbed to 56. If that's how the TikTok effect increases sales then I doubt Back That Up is gonna break Madonna's run of flops

2 hours ago, theglamorous said:

I've never used TikTok tbh, my friend showed me it and I could see the appeal to people with no attention span but beyond that I wasn't interested. Bloody Mary charted in the UK singles chart last week at 57 and this week climbed to 56. If that's how the TikTok effect increases sales then I doubt Back That Up is gonna break Madonna's run of flops

It won't. But Madonna's presence on Tik Tok and overall streaming numbers have increased massively in 2022. So its definitely worthwhile pursuing the interest in that song.

7 minutes ago, Blue Jean said:

It won't. But Madonna's presence on Tik Tok and overall streaming numbers have increased massively in 2022. So it’s definitely worthwhile pursuing the interest in that song.

I don’t get the confusion. 
Madonna had a bunch of unplanned singles throughout her career based on public reaction. Back in the day it was radio play now it’s TikTok and other social media channels.
Nothing changed, there’s nothing new about this. 

Okay like I barely could ever mind her really a single whatever it might be but the thing that is is as long as it doesn't coincide with the idea that it would push aside or ruin another single where hopefully it would be new and different and something that we could look forward to, then I don't care. I mean bring it on I'm all about something fun but the song isn't exactly top of the list kind of music. Ghost town from that album was or you want to talk about it on Madam X we can say come alive was the better track but in any case right now it just seems like music doesn't matter as long as it's released. It's not like the old days. Just release it already and move on

My mind is a little blown. If you look at the comments on YouTube, its a lot of "Thought this was some Balkan pop song", "Not me thinking this wasn't english..", "This is Madonna?!". It's kind of similar to the story with "Everybody" almost exactly 40 years later. The songs gaining steam by being faceless. And for it to happen again, through this new medium, on this anniversary is pretty crazy. Especially from one of the most visual artists ever. It has nothing to do with a look or music video. It's just about the music. I'm kinda floored. And ready to be called deluded by the people who don't see it for BTU. 

But I bit my tongue through Madame Zzzz and The Chronicles of Frozen so let me feel my sycophant fantasy. It's been a WHILE.

*EDIT

"I just read somebody comparing Back That Up to the Beat with Everybody and how both songs became hits because nobody knows/knew who Madonna is/was and how revolutionary this is on top of wishing she wouldn't "screw up the demo" and hoping it will break her succession of flops."

Second part is not true. She can do whatever she wants with the demo. Its her choice. The demo is available for me to enjoy whenever I like. Just like the Madame X version is available for those who prefer that version. I may not have connected much with the Madame X era but I'd never call her a flop. Never did. Alright, alright, it's Christmas, we'll leave "Hey You" for another night... And I don't give a fuck about charts. If no one buys it I'll still be perched for the video🎄🥳  

5 hours ago, lightyears1981 said:

Okay like I barely could ever mind her really a single whatever it might be but the thing that is is as long as it doesn't coincide with the idea that it would push aside or ruin another single where hopefully it would be new and different and something that we could look forward to, then I don't care. I mean bring it on I'm all about something fun but the song isn't exactly top of the list kind of music. Ghost town from that album was or you want to talk about it on Madam X we can say come alive was the better track but in any case right now it just seems like music doesn't matter as long as it's released. It's not like the old days. Just release it already and move on

Merp.

In case anyone is unaware, there’s multiple versions that are trending on tiktok. One is the original 2014 demo. Second is a sped & pitched up version of the demo, and third’s a slowed and pitched down version of the demo.  So what we need is an ep 

Back That Up - 2014

Back That Up (Sped Up) 

Back That Up (Slowed Down) 

Back That Up (Madame X) 

Back That Up (Mike Dean 2023 remix)

15 hours ago, Jackie said:

I love that Madonna is doing these things - but, she moves too slow lol - trends are fast, you need to release it almost as soon as it becomes a trend.

AGREE

We had this thread since late October on here and most of us are not even up with tik tok trends.

Her team must have seen it.

18 hours ago, Jackie said:

I love that Madonna is doing these things - but, she moves too slow lol - trends are fast, you need to release it almost as soon as it becomes a trend.

Frozen did very well and it was released long after it went viral. 
I think the point is not to jump on the bandwagon but to extend the trend and to officially introduce the songs to the people that haven’t heard it yet. If it went viral on social media there’s still a large audience for it that will stream it 

19 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

The demo is available for me to enjoy whenever I like. Just like the Madame X version is available for those who prefer that version.

Yes but as a compressed unmasteted mp3. I guess some of us that love that version would love to get a polished final version of it. 
But anyway, people are freaking out over nothing. I’m sure the main version will be the demo regardless of what clips she’s posting on instagram 

2 hours ago, thegoldencalf said:

Yes but as a compressed unmasteted mp3. I guess some of us that love that version would love to get a polished final version of it. 
But anyway, people are freaking out over nothing. I’m sure the main version will be the demo regardless of what clips she’s posting on instagram 

Yes, a few pages back I said it would be nice if this were an EP with each version everyone loves and maybe even some more new remixes. And compared its rise in popularity with "Everybody" and how cool it is that people are surprised when they learn it's Madonna...and I got shit for it.

I have to preface almost every post with "She can do whatever she wants" or I get 10 essays from people telling me I'm not a real fan.

I hope everyone gets all the stems and every version of BTU, Warning Signs, and a hand job from Santa so they will stop looking for drama where there is none.

2 hours ago, Pootz333 said:

Yes, a few pages back I said it would be nice if this were an EP with each version everyone loves and maybe even some more new remixes. And compared its rise in popularity with "Everybody" and how cool it is that people are surprised when they learn it's Madonna...and I got shit for it.

I have to preface almost every post with "She can do whatever she wants" or I get 10 essays from people telling me I'm not a real fan.

I hope everyone gets all the stems and every version of BTU, Warning Signs, and a hand job from Santa so they will stop looking for drama where there is none.

Dramadonna 

At least we're getting the demo version (probably reworked / tweaked in places). I wish the MX bonus tracks were also made available. 

I hope this make her revisit some of the her demos, lots of good stuff to use. She is probably happy with this one. She seemed to like it a lot.

* cuts to Madonna trying to make Candy Shop go viral *

• Askeroff changed the title to "Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !
  • RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic