"Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !

Askeroff

If what you guys think and say it's true, we're getting the OG demo in less than two days, and then the teased "remastered" version (with video as well?) might be dropped as extra a la Frozen ft Sickick, that would be an absolute fucking win to me!!! I'd be so happy! 

Also I'm sorry for bitching about the MX version not being released (yet?), I literally forgot it's probably considered a part of MX and so it belongs to Interscope, and she will get the rights for the Interscope albums in a few years, I've jumped to conclusions :/

38 minutes ago, xavier said:

Frozen was a waste of time, bring on BTH

Was it? The Sickick version itself has managed more than 100 million streams on Spotify alone, in a matter of months, when some of her biggest classics haven't yet.  It definitely helped her streaming presence, so it seems to be a win for me.  I also liked the videos and alternate mixes she gave us. 

7 minutes ago, tscott said:

Was it? The Sickick version itself has managed more than 100 million streams on Spotify alone, in a matter of months, when some of her biggest classics haven't yet.  It definitely helped her streaming presence, so it seems to be a win for me.  I also liked the videos and alternate mixes she gave us. 

This. While not a fave of mine by any means, "Frozen" Sickick is the closest thing a hit she's had in years and it helped her to double her not that good until 2020 streaming numbers. The song is at 110M streams already on Spotify and her eight most streamed song there of all time.

I know numbers are just that, numbers, but she's a commercial artist, so they do matter a little bit.

"Back That Up To The Beat" is going to help A LOT again, so it's a good move to officially release it.

12 minutes ago, Prayer said:

This. While not a fave of mine by any means, "Frozen" Sickick is the closest thing a hit she's had in years and it helped her to double her not that good until 2020 streaming numbers. The song is at 110M streams already on Spotify and her eight most streamed song there of all time.

I know numbers are just that, numbers, but she's a commercial artist, so they do matter a little bit.

"Back That Up To The Beat" is going to help A LOT again, so it's a good move to officially release it.

Totally agree.  And it seems she's on it much quicker than when Sickick's Frozen mix went viral.  In a way,  this gives power back to the people, regarding what is popular and what is not. For so long, we've had corporations dictate to us what should be heard.  Tik Tok, Spotify and other social media gives people that power back.  This may be small potatoes compared to the popularity and success she's had in the past, but it's something. 

I think we might need to start thinking of streaming as being something separate than her actual music career. When it comes time to make an album, which she no doubt will do, the songs will be actual songs. Full fledged. Thought out. Longer than 2 minutes. 

I think she views her money as still coming from touring, no matter what she said about the income from the Madame X Tour. Streaming is just a side project that APPEARS to be the same as her music career, when in fact it's most likely just something to keep her busy. Tik Tok and streaming are the new Gyms and Perfumes, Clothing Lines. They aren't the goal. and since she's never said this out loud, it seems as though she's bending to the trends of this, but I seriously doubt thats the case. She knows a viral tik tok song is a fluke and means nothing in the long run. 

7 minutes ago, RUADJAI said:

I think we might need to start thinking of streaming as being something separate than her actual music career. When it comes time to make an album, which she no doubt will do, the songs will be actual songs. Full fledged. Thought out. Longer than 2 minutes. 

I think she views her money as still coming from touring, no matter what she said about the income from the Madame X Tour. Streaming is just a side project that APPEARS to be the same as her music career, when in fact it's most likely just something to keep her busy. Tik Tok and streaming are the new Gyms and Perfumes, Clothing Lines. They aren't the goal. and since she's never said this out loud, it seems as though she's bending to the trends of this, but I seriously doubt thats the case. She knows a viral tik tok song is a fluke and means nothing in the long run. 

Mmmhmm... yes and no. Streaming can not be a side project... it's the main medium where people consume music now! It's just another format, just like before we had radio, physical media, etc. Yes, songs are shorter and shorter these days, but that's just the way things are now - radios always got their shorter edits too usually.

I don't know how serious she is or can be about all this (TikTok trends, I mean), but it's definitely not a game. There's serious money to be made from it, like "Frozen" Sickick showed. Maybe that's why she's jumped into "Back That Up" faster.

The next studio album will be interesting in the middle of all of this!

16 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Mmmhmm... yes and no. Streaming can not be a side project... it's the main medium where people consume music now! It's just another format, just like before we had radio, physical media, etc. Yes, songs are shorter and shorter these days, but that's just the way things are now - radios always got their shorter edits too usually.

I don't know how serious she is or can be about all this (TikTok trends, I mean), but it's definitely not a game. There's serious money to be made from it, like "Frozen" Sickick showed. Maybe that's why she's jumped into "Back That Up" faster.

The next studio album will be interesting in the middle of all of this!

And to add, these social media platforms are essential now to promoting new music, whether it be albums or one off singles.  If a new album is released, platforms such as Spotify are essentially important in how music is consumed.  Tik Tok serves as another avenue for the public to consume and experience new trends, videos, sounds, etc, much like MTV did in the earlier days.  Let's remember, it didn't take long for MTV to start expanding their network to other programming than just music videos.  Granted some started off musically related, but as time went on, more and more programing became about what was trending or popular in pop culture. I don't necessarily like how MTV ended up, but then again, they have multiple channels now.  Some of those channels do air music videos.  Once the internet came along, it sort of gave the public a chance to pick and choose what they want to hear.  I believe that's how it should be.  Madonna came along when corporate American was shoving everything down our throats.  It still happens, but it's fantastic that we have various platforms which gives the public some say in what trends.  I agree a lot of it is just garbage, but that saying "one man's garbage is another's treasure" seems to ring true and has always done so even before Madonna, MTV,  the internet, Spotify and Tik Tok came along.  I appreciate that Madonna is still taking advantage of what is out there to still be heard.  Otherwise, she would be nothing but a nostalgic act.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I prefer her to still make new music and find ways to be heard, whether it's the radio, MTV, Youtube, Spotify or Tik Tok.  All great sources for anyone to get their voice heard whether it's a stupid trend or not.

Remember when new music was all about getting radio air play. I am SO glad radio is dying. Besides talk radio I have no need to listen to it. They play the stupidest music over and over again anyways until you wanna pull your eyes out as they play a song PAST its death. And let's be real, radio airplay became ageist. I 100% agree that M's new music wasn't the type of stuff "kids" wanted to listen to anyway, however, for a station to down right ignore it based on the fact that you are pushing towards your 60s was dumb. That's one of the only things I appreciate this new age of technology, it's welcomed all ages to participate whether or not it is garbage. 

I'm glad to see the kids are eating up Ms work even if it is for a millisecond. 

Not that I care about streaming but Isn’t she like 196 on Spotify artist chart - what have all these tiktok songs revival actually done then ? To me that’s fuck all - google her name and most articles are not about her music or legacy …. They are mostly ageist remarks blah blah - She doesn’t need the money from streaming but she wants to appeal to a younger demographic - surely promoting the music that made her a legend is a better start than some demo from a time in her life she says she was artistically raped - it just makes no sense to me now all this …

I've been a fan since 1989 and I've been on fan forums since 1999. One thing I noticed is that fans always discredit the new technologies and new ways to consume music until Madonna becomes successful on them. It took Madonna a while to get strong sales on itunes and other download platforms, and she had much stronger physical sales of singles (other artists stopped producing maxis at a certain point), and fans were livid and claimed that mp3 downloads shouldn't be taken into account for the charts and only physical sales should.  This is sometime around the mid 2000s. The same happened with TikTok, until it became the new source of M's success.

27 minutes ago, wtg1987 said:

Not that I care about streaming but Isn’t she like 196 on Spotify artist chart - what have all these tiktok songs revival actually done then ? To me that’s fuck all - google her name and most articles are not about her music or legacy …. They are mostly ageist remarks blah blah - She doesn’t need the money from streaming but she wants to appeal to a younger demographic - surely promoting the music that made her a legend is a better start than some demo from a time in her life she says she was artistically raped - it just makes no sense to me now all this …

Without the "Frozen" Sickick or "Material Girl" trends maybe she wouldn't even be in the Top 500 worldwide artists (like Prince and Janet Jackson now), Warner wouldn't see her as a profitable catalogue act and you wouldn't get in the future those reissues you're asking for every day or they would be just basic digital releases without lots of physical formats like the ones we got for "Finally Enough Love".

Janet celebrated the 25th anniversary of "The Velvet Rope" with a... digital reissue with already released remixes and b-sides, no unreleased songs or physical editions, while Prince's estate still tries to milk "Purple Rain" with a live album every fan already had.

Madonna doesn't need the money from streaming? Her last big tour was in 2015 and albums don't sell big amounts anymore... of course she needs streaming, more than ever.

4 minutes ago, Prayer said:

Without the "Frozen" Sickick or "Material Girl" trends maybe she wouldn't even be in the Top 500 worldwide artists (like Prince and Janet Jackson now), Warner wouldn't see her as a profitable catalogue act and you wouldn't get in the future those reissues you're asking for every day or they would be just basic digital releases without lots of physical formats like the ones we got for "Finally Enough Love".

She doesn't need the money from streaming? Her last big tour was in 2015 and albums don't sell anymore... of course she needs streaming, more than ever.

Piggy backing off you again, to add that it's so often I hear from some, "but she doesn't need the money?"  Maybe that's true to some point.  I suspect, she's set for life if she retired.  However, we have to remember it takes money to keep creating.  She can't just pay for everything herself or that would deplete her own savings. The more her record company sees she's even somewhat profitable, they will back her for future projects.  They will advance her money which can go into promotional gigs or videos for her songs.  Also, I'm sure Madonna loves her lifestyle, so I'm sure to some point she has to keep making money to some capacity whether it's making music or investing it some other way. Like you said, where she ranks is very important for the record company to keep investing in her future as well as her back catalog.

17 minutes ago, androiduser said:

I've been a fan since 1989 and I've been on fan forums since 1999. One thing I noticed is that fans always discredit the new technologies and new ways to consume music until Madonna becomes successful on them. It took Madonna a while to get strong sales on itunes and other download platforms, and she had much stronger physical sales of singles (other artists stopped producing maxis at a certain point), and fans were livid and claimed that mp3 downloads shouldn't be taken into account for the charts and only physical sales should.  This is sometime around the mid 2000s. The same happened with TikTok, until it became the new source of M's success.

I have to agree here.  Every generation gets slammed for their quality of music and how it's consumed.  A lot of the vocal fans here tend to be the age of their father or even grandfather's now.  It's a never ending cycle where each older generation tends to have a hard time grasping new technologies and the way we consume things.  I guess what I try to keep in mind is that, we are at a point where people can instantly grab on to anything with a click of the finger.  So for an artist like Madonna, who still wants to be among the public eye, she will continue to follow what's popular to remain in the public eye.  I am so appreciative of the digital age because I would have never heard or possess some of the most rarest mixes or demos from Madonna.  It's hard to believe what could come next, but you can bet that the generation that is soaking up Tik Tok will be complaining about future advancments.  It's "Human Nature".

4 hours ago, Robertthenurse said:

Remember when new music was all about getting radio air play. I am SO glad radio is dying. Besides talk radio I have no need to listen to it. They play the stupidest music over and over again anyways until you wanna pull your eyes out as they play a song PAST its death. And let's be real, radio airplay became ageist. I 100% agree that M's new music wasn't the type of stuff "kids" wanted to listen to anyway, however, for a station to down right ignore it based on the fact that you are pushing towards your 60s was dumb. That's one of the only things I appreciate this new age of technology, it's welcomed all ages to participate whether or not it is garbage. 

I'm glad to see the kids are eating up Ms work even if it is for a millisecond. 

I think that is the worst mistake about old school media, that mentality that children basically are the cultural zeitgeist. That people and art become “oldies”. It’s nice that it is becoming old and outdated itself.

12 hours ago, tscott said:

Good point. 👏

Is anyone else in the US up late waiting for that release in Oceania? :Madonna014: idk, back in 2015 BTUTTB and Heaven were my favorite unreleased RH tracks and now more than ever I see BTUTTB as the little engine/song that could. I never thought it'd be officially released and then Madame X happened. Then I thought it'd never be a hit and here we are now :Madonna036: and on my birthday too :Madonna041: it's just perfect 

• Askeroff changed the title to "Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !
  • RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic