"Back That Up" demo going viral on TikTok / official single release 2022/12/30 !

Askeroff

What's the point of a speed up or slow down version? It's like being in 2000 again playing with media player. Next week a reversed version. 

I used to think people were lazy when they put out an Instrumental as track 2 (and god knows I loooove Instrumental more than everything but let's be honest, it's easy to make. ) but this is a whole new level of feeding people with sh*t. 

Otherwise I'm glad this demo is finally out to the world 😁

6 minutes ago, Angelman60 said:

What's the point of a speed up or slow down version? It's like being in 2000 again playing with media player. Next week a reversed version. 

I used to think people were lazy when they put out an Instrumental as track 2 (and god knows I loooove Instrumental more than everything but let's be honest, it's easy to make. ) but this is a whole new level of feeding people with sh*t. 

The sped up version and a slowed down one, actually, are being used on TikTok. That's why it's included. People want it.

Actually, sped up versions are quite popular at the moment, latest example being Lady Gaga's "Bloody Mary".

9 minutes ago, Angelman60 said:

Because these trends are dominated by sped up / slowed down edits, most of the times they're the versions that make the OG song a viral hit, look at YouTube unofficial uploads: these edits get a shitton of views, so giving people an official audio is just faster for them to consume and smarter from a marketing standpoint, because you will get less streams being wasted on unofficial uploads. 

1 minute ago, Prayer said:

The sped up version and a slowed down one, actually, are being used on TikTok. That's why it's included. People want it.

Actually, sped up versions are quite popular at the moment, latest example being Lady Gaga's "Bloody Mary".

Bloody Mary was released as the 6th official single from BTW 11 years after the original release thanks to tiktok.

6 minutes ago, Angelman60 said:

I don't get the point of sped up version or slowed down version either. But it seems that people nowadays (on tiktok) are really into this kind of songs. Some artists now even put out sped up or slowed down versions separately as singles.

I can understand if they are used for a tiktok video, but listening to them on a daily basis is weird to me. I think these versions kind of ruin the original music and how the song is supposed to sound. Gaga's recent hit "Bloody Mary" is another example of this.

She's putting a demo from 2015 sticker on it to let people know this is most certainly NOT new material from her. That way when new material does come it won't be associated. Either that or she's still got at least some sense to distance herself from what is most certainly not a final product. She has all sorts of feelings about those demos being stolen. Yes she's leaning into this from a commercial perspective but the artist in her is most probably like "WTF this ole thing?"

Good for her

Good for her team

Good for TikTOk

thanks

I hate it. 

58 minutes ago, isaac003 said:

I don't get the point of sped up version or slowed down version either. But it seems that people nowadays (on tiktok) are really into this kind of songs. Some artists now even put out sped up or slowed down versions separately as singles.

I can understand if they are used for a tiktok video, but listening to them on a daily basis is weird to me. I think these versions kind of ruin the original music and how the song is supposed to sound. Gaga's recent hit "Bloody Mary" is another example of this.

We can instantly triple our Madonna collections by having a sped up and slowed down version. What's not too love? If sped up tracks are so big maybe the Tour will feature her entire catalogue in about an hour.

33 minutes ago, steady75 said:

Now Make Avicii Heart go viral fellow kids

I don't believe the kids will ever make the personal themed tracks like that go viral. That's why I compared BTU to "Everybody". People not knowing this was Madonna and having it played in the background of random car videos HELPED. Just like not having her face on the sleeve of Everybody was able to get momentum with black audiences. Fun songs with great hypnotic grooves. Simple. No distractions, no stunts, no pretending a song is an anthem before the audience makes it one. Looking at you, "I Rise"....

6 hours ago, Prayer said:

This is the official cover according to a member on PopJustice:

KLZhm6W.thumb.jpg.a27f99bed2850b7005a198e170b65693.jpg

I'm one of the few who actually thinks the cover art looks cool.  I like the how the edges makes it like an aged 45 sleeve.  The look and the font make it further retro. :)

I was hesitant in believing it was going to be released today, but I'm glad it has been released now. Her team did jump on this in a timely manner.  I'm betting more mixes are coming our way in January.  I personally think the sped up and slow versions work for Tik Tok, being just a small clip of the song is used, but It just sounds ridiculous hearing it as a whole song.  But I get why it's been released.  This is exactly what the people want.  It's a smart move and it will definitely punch up her streaming numbers.  Another win for Madonna. 

Haha thanks guys for all your comments, I just spent a week with my nephew listening to a chipmunk singing "gaga holala" on loop so I'm just new to this. To me it's just a destructive effect. I mean it's not professional, everyone can do it at home. But to each there own. Just didn't in know it could actually be sold and people buy it!  

1 hour ago, steady75 said:

She's putting a demo from 2015 sticker on it to let people know this is most certainly NOT new material from her. That way when new material does come it won't be associated. Either that or she's still got at least some sense to distance herself from what is most certainly not a final product. She has all sorts of feelings about those demos being stolen. Yes she's leaning into this from a commercial perspective but the artist in her is most probably like "WTF this ole thing?"

Good for her

Good for her team

Good for TikTOk

thanks

I hate it. 

It's possible she's wanting to distinguish it is a demo because she already released a version on MX.  Also, if other versions are coming, it will be easier to distinguish between the demo and new mixes. 

I don't really think she is bothered by it to think "WTF this ole thing".  If anything, I bet she's appreciative that a song of hers has gone viral like this again.  If anything, it may get her to rethink about sharing more of her demos. 

I originally didn't like the song, but it's grown on me.  Like many here, I'm just glad she's jumped on this pretty quickly to benefit from beefing up her streams, gaining some new notoriety from it, and possibly make a little money from it.  I look forward to see what comes from this next.  I just don't want three or four more versions with videos like she did Frozen.  I like them, but a video whether using the demo version or a new one is sufficient enough. No need to milk it with more mixes for the next six months.  Just let this version do its thing.

The sped up version is stupid, but I understand why she included it. And she was right to include it. I’m surprised she didn’t include a slowed down version too as isn’t that the most popular on TikTok?

Artwork by Aldo Diaz. I feel so sad that she’s going with the most amateurish designs when there are so many amazing designers out there who do incredible things. I’m losing hope for any decent back catalog releases 😔

• RUADJAI featured this topic
  • Enrico unfeatured this topic